Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 01:42 PM

Default I guess they call this progress.

Appears high tech is gaining ground in the patch down south. Has this tech started to be used up here? Looks like it won't help much with improving the job situation in the patch.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...Zgk?ocid=ientp
Old 07-11-2018, 05:26 PM
Banned

Darn I guess people will need more than 2 legs and heart beat to make $100,000!

If it's not up here already it will be soon. Big Oil is always looking for cost breaks. If they could hire a team of $20/hr workers to do the jobs of those making $45+ like red seal certified and cgsb certified workers they would. Quality be damned! Who needs quality when you can save money.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet Ranch View Post

If it's not up here already it will be soon. Big Oil is always looking for cost breaks. If they could hire a team of $20/hr workers to do the jobs of those making $45+ like red seal certified and cgsb certified workers they would. Quality be damned! Who needs quality when you can save money.
Quality control is very high in the oil industry.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:38 PM
Banned

I told you so....
I remember back in the early 70''s...I was only 20 years old...they started saying how computers would do a lot of the mundane work done by people and how great this would be because we would have all this leisure time.
I kept asking my friends who were in computing science and such..."who is going to pay us to do nothing so we can enjoy all this leisure time?"
Guess what...NO ONE!!
Old 07-11-2018, 05:54 PM

Just a matter of time for select type of work. This has been occurring in other industries for sometime why not the patch?
Old 07-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Quality control is very high in the oil industry.
No it's not lol I work in QC. The last 3 projects I have been on contained fittings or valves that came cracked from the manufacturer and it was treated like it was normal. I caught the cracks in all 3 instances and at the end of the day it came down to budget and leaving the fittings in service after a bit of surface grinding.

Sorry if you didn't get my sarcasm in my first post but at the end of the day the bean counters decide how much quality is needed.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:48 PM

Like to see a computer pull slips and throw tongs
Old 07-11-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
No it's not lol I work in QC. The last 3 projects I have been on contained fittings or valves that came cracked from the manufacturer and it was treated like it was normal. I caught the cracks in all 3 instances and at the end of the day it came down to budget and leaving the fittings in service after a bit of surface grinding.

Sorry if you didn't get my sarcasm in my first post but at the end of the day the bean counters decide how much quality is needed.
You are QC for the whole industry? Or a specific sector? Because in my field it is high. Zero defect allowance. Maybe the standards are lower in your feild.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:56 PM
Banned

Look at it this way, now the US will have lots of people available to fill those jobs the people that can't get across the border used to do.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:

You must work with some garbage outfits cause the good ones wouldn’t do that. We just sent back 4 valves cause they weren’t up to snuff. Liability is a big part of the job now and safety is foremost.
Possibly the engineering team figured it passed spec?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

This post is BS.....trolling....
Old 07-11-2018, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
This post is BS.....trolling....
Whatever you say!

The last big mega project in AB....NWR refinery. And the current one I'm keeping hush hush because it has just begun.

It's a pain in the butt to post cause I have to enter thus captcha letter number combo every time but I'd be happy to post some photos. Give me a few minutes.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Banned

"Passed spec" "irregularity" etc etc whatever you wanna call it the truth of the matter is all of these but one (and this is just a sample) are in service. The 18" valve was tossed(3rd pic). The rest were ground down on the surface. Even though destructive testing showed cracking internally.

I guess this is trolling. Don't get me wrong at first there were some cutouts but after so many delays "engineering" took over despite what code says.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:

I see others made the comment for me already. A piece of crap is a piece of crap no matter how you poke it with a stick, it’s only the fools that step in it however.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are QC for the whole industry? Or a specific sector? Because in my field it is high. Zero defect allowance. Maybe the standards are lower in your feild.
What field is that? Nuke? Or are you just talking about ASME sec.1 and B31.1 where zero LOF is allowable. Etc
Old 07-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
"Passed spec" "irregularity" etc etc whatever you wanna call it the truth of the matter is all of these but one (and this is just a sample) are in service. The 18" valve was tossed(3rd pic). The rest were ground down on the surface. Even though destructive testing showed cracking internally.

I guess this is trolling. Don't get me wrong at first there were some cutouts but after so many delays "engineering" took over despite what code says.
Yup that’s cast for ya, depending on the depth of the cracks in reguards to its integrity is a call normally made by qualified individuals. If it made it past NDT and the broiler branch or whom ever it’s good to go. Those welds look atrocious and I noticed under cut on the one weld with a fail blend. Non code piping
Old 07-11-2018, 07:43 PM
Banned

The thing I can't stand is dealing with the reps from the companies that produce the fittings. Anything to get around having to back charge or replace their products. All about cost as I outlined earlier. Even on shutdowns in our local coal fired power plants, tubes that should have been chopped due to wall loss have shielding welded on and left for the next 6 months before it eventually leaks.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
Yup that’s cast for ya, depending on the depth of the cracks in reguards to its integrity is a call normally made by qualified individuals. If it made it past NDT and the broiler branch or whom ever it’s good to go. Those welds look atrocious and I noticed under cut on the one weld with a fail blend. Non code piping
Is through wall deep enough? That's the thing. Some samples sent out were actually through wall but they're willing to chance it and play the game. I mean I won't be turning those valves nor is it my plant so whatever at the end of the day it's their call their plant. They own it, cracks and all.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is through wall deep enough? That's the thing. Some samples sent out were actually through wall but they're willing to chance it and play the game. I mean I won't be turning those valves nor is it my plant so whatever at the end of the day it's their call their plant. They own it, cracks and all.
Yikes! If that’s their perogitive I’d find a new job before it kills you or if they don’t go belly up first.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:56 AM

They also look at the service of the valve. Is it easy to isolate later on, LP
steam service? Or sour service?
Old 07-12-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
This ^^^^. No shortcuts when working to ASME, Z662 etc. unless you're working for some company that ignores requirements.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
They also look at the service of the valve. Is it easy to isolate later on, LP
steam service? Or sour service?
Category D perhaps.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
This ^^^^. No shortcuts when working to ASME, Z662 etc. unless you're working for some company that ignores requirements.
Oh dontcha worry it's ALL ASME piping. As for ignoring requirements I guess you can RFI yourself out of anything with enough pieces of paper.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:44 AM

I keep joking that some day I'm going to be replaced with a PowerShell script.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:09 AM

So they will toss a 18” valve but won’t replace a 3/4” socket weld valve and some 1” socket weld fittings? Something is not making sense.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 AM

Inspections guy think he’s management.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Oh dontcha worry it's ALL ASME piping. As for ignoring requirements I guess you can RFI yourself out of anything with enough pieces of paper.
Assume you're an NDE guy. Lots missing from this story.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Like to see a computer pull slips and throw tongs
Lol, already doing it on some rigs.

Some guys think they can't be replaced. They can, air slips, hydrualic slips, iron roughnecks can all be computer controlled. All with just a Driller controlling/ monitoring the computers work.

Damn they can run a rig from Houston with no input from the driller. (Hope lag time isnt to bad, or a solar flare doesnt happen).
Old 07-12-2018, 01:08 PM

Even with these advancements there always going to need people to maintain the equipment. What it tells me is it would be a good idea to get in with Pason.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 07-12-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Red Seal isn't all that it is cracked up to be, it's definitely not a guarantee of quality work. I just had a Red Seal plumber do a rough install for a bathroom in that I am putting in my basement. Was down there working and noticed that BOTH lines running to the shower are hot and the two running to the sink are both cold. At least he got the toilet right. This guy is a Red Seal plumber and gas fitter. The funniest/scariest part is that it passed an inspection by the inspection company who issued the permit.

To say the last I'm not overly impressed right now when somebody tells me that they're Red Seal anything.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard