Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2016, 04:00 AM

Default I Hate Day Light Wasting Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Yes I did.

And unlike some people I can admit that, and that it was without a doubt a mistake.
Ha Ha Ha Ha sorry Ha Ha!
You just made my night.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
BC is on DST they always 1 hour different than AB all year?
There is a time zone changes just after you cross the border into B.C.. They are in the Pacific time zone, we are Mountain time zone. The reason that there is always a difference is B.C. follows dst as well. If they didn't there would be a similar situation as with Sask. where we would be the same for half the year.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Alright why should I trust you?
Are you aware that only half the world follows dlst?

In what specific way will it impact me?

Let's say I want to know so I balance the pros and cons.
The hockey game you watched at 7pm till 10 pm is now on at 8 till 11 the news will be on a 7 PM instead of 6
I phone my parents at 7:30 AM on Sunday now I have to phone at 6:30, its just a lot more noticeable if the rest of the world changes and you don't.
Some companies in Sask. change times because their counterparts around the world are on DST just to keep schedules on track.
An example would be Maidstone SK on AB time Payton 15 Miles east on fast time (that's what people call it) the wife works at the hospital in Maidstone husband works trucking in Payton for 6 months they on a different schedule in the same house, the 3 kids hockey are on different times some based in Payton some in Maidstone.
Along the border some towns are on MST some are Central by their own choice.
I would like to see the whole world scrap DST not just certain areas
Old 12-15-2016, 06:28 AM

I honestly couldn't believe this was seriously what the gov was focusing any attention on. I am even more surprised by the level of debate here on the topic. I wouldn't waste fifty cents on this right now let alone untold millions on a referendum....but that's me. Sounds like many here have exactly the govt they deserve.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:51 AM

Great

A reason to vote NDP

Now when I get laid off I get an extra hour of sleep in the morning.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-15-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
The hockey game you watched at 7pm till 10 pm is now on at 8 till 11 the news will be on a 7 PM instead of 6
I phone my parents at 7:30 AM on Sunday now I have to phone at 6:30, its just a lot more noticeable if the rest of the world changes and you don't.
Some companies in Sask. change times because their counterparts around the world are on DST just to keep schedules on track.
An example would be Maidstone SK on AB time Payton 15 Miles east on fast time (that's what people call it) the wife works at the hospital in Maidstone husband works trucking in Payton for 6 months they on a different schedule in the same house, the 3 kids hockey are on different times some based in Payton some in Maidstone.
Along the border some towns are on MST some are Central by their own choice.
I would like to see the whole world scrap DST not just certain areas
The hockey game and the news are your opening points?
I watch the oilers. They'd still be on at 8. As for news it's 24 hours a day. I'm well aware of border time zone problems. As I mentioned I'm 10 minutes from the border. In my old job I spent a lot of time working back and forth between here and sask the time change is a huge pain in rear. Yeah some business might have to adjust there hours to do out of country business but in this age of technology I don't think many ..... we still manage to do business with companies on a 12 hour time difference it'll get figured out.

I personally would love to see the removal of dlst I'm not sure about switching time zones.
I am sure it's by far and away not the most important thing this government should be dealing with. That said I'll bet it's a prime topic of conversation in the next couple weeks.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:07 AM

Default Climate Change

I think it must have something to do with their climate change program.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:34 AM

Daylight savings is pretty dumb... it gets dark at 4:30, or it could be dark at 5:30 but dark later in the morning,lol

Getting rid of the potential extra hour on a nightshift would be great, that one hour seems to be a long hour
Old 12-15-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
The hockey game and the news are your opening points?
I watch the oilers. They'd still be on at 8. As for news it's 24 hours a day. I'm well aware of border time zone problems. As I mentioned I'm 10 minutes from the border. In my old job I spent a lot of time working back and forth between here and sask the time change is a huge pain in rear. Yeah some business might have to adjust there hours to do out of country business but in this age of technology I don't think many ..... we still manage to do business with companies on a 12 hour time difference it'll get figured out.

I personally would love to see the removal of dlst I'm not sure about switching time zones.
I am sure it's by far and away not the most important thing this government should be dealing with. That said I'll bet it's a prime topic of conversation in the next couple weeks.
The TV schedule is based on ET if don't change time and they do your oilers game will be on at 9 not 8 like you are used to
Like I say scrap the DST altogether would be the best option
Old 12-15-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
The TV schedule is based on ET if don't change time and they do your oilers game will be on at 9 not 8 like you are used to
Like I say scrap the DST altogether would be the best option
They won't play at 9 .... the Canucks play most of their home games at 7. I'm not sure you totally understand how this would work. It would simply be like summer all the time. Business all gets done.

You're most notable ....TV ..... still gets watched.
Family still gets called.
It's a pretty small thing in the big picture.

So you're for removing dlst globally not just in Alberta?
Old 12-15-2016, 08:04 AM

Really wouldn't bother me to see it gone.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:

so you're for removing dlst globally not just in alberta?
yes!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
One more testament to human arrogance! "We will change time!"

What I would rather see is daylight savings all the time. And why would anyone in construction or any other job have to wait for daylight? Lights have never been better. I have never worked a job that waits for the sun to come up. You just go and do it.
I would vote for Daylight Savings Time year round.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
I at least think it should be a referendum, not just the NDP forcing through one of their agendas that not everybody wants.
You do realize that we elect a government so we don't have to have referendums for every decision a government makes? If we had referendums for everything that people don't agree on we would referendum every decision the government needs to make. Very expensive.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
It would occur when 95% of the population is sleeping... Most people don't wake up for 4 and most don't go to bed before 9. Switch to MST and that is when the summer sunrise/sunset would occur rather then the 5/10 that we currently have.
Fair enough. When the sunsets by the time it is not close to dark. Its not really dark for almost another hour. Good enough for myself. So a 9PM sunset has light until close to 10PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Fair enough. When the sunsets by the time it is not close to dark. Its not really dark for almost another hour. Good enough for myself. So a 9PM sunset has light until close to 10PM.
Yes in the summer we do have longer dusk/dawn periods. Civil twilight hours on CST(which we currently take advantage of with daylight savings) would be 4:11 to 11. If you switched to MST then it would be 3:11 to 10. I love fishing but I ain't waking up at 3:30 for the morning bite...

Last edited by RavYak; 12-15-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:44 AM

As much as I disagree with almost all NDP Policy, I hope they get rid of it.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGrohms View Post
I think it must have something to do with their climate change program.
^^^^This,

With less Daylight in the morning there will be less global warming!

BW
Old 12-15-2016, 10:43 AM

Snotley is doing this to distract attention from the carbon raping that we'll get. Guess it's working for her.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:02 AM

I quite like the extended daylight hours in the summer. NDP should go back to protesting pipelines.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:45 PM

Daylight savings time....

old indian saying.....

only white man could cut a piece of one end of a blanket, sew it on the other end and think he had a longer blanket...
Old 12-15-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
I quite like the extended daylight hours in the summer. NDP should go back to protesting pipelines.
You do know that's not dlst right?
Old 12-15-2016, 01:09 PM

Default Typical NDP

Their tracks are the same on every major issue.

They have a major issue going on right now with the push back on the carbon tax and the current premiers speech on how well they are doing, so they push out a fluff announcement as a diversion.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:31 PM

Every jurisdiction I deal with has daylight savings time, so we are ALWAYS an hour difference from Houston or Chicago, and two hours difference from Toronto or New York. Who the hell has to coordinate meeting times with SASKATCHEWAN???????? Leave it as is.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
I would vote for Daylight Savings Time year round.
YES!!!!!!

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-15-2016, 01:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Daylight savings time....

old indian saying.....

only white man could cut a piece of one end of a blanket, sew it on the other end and think he had a longer blanket...
And that there folks is exactly why they are still whining about being duped in the treaties and land deals.

Anyone who does not understand how DST works should not be allowed to vote or drive or chew gum.

One thing to understand it and not support it, another to be ignorant and just whine.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
You do realize that we elect a government so we don't have to have referendums for every decision a government makes? If we had referendums for everything that people don't agree on we would referendum every decision the government needs to make. Very expensive.
As opposed to all the money we save with this gov't doing stuff most Albertans do not want.

Was there a single mention of DST, the farm safety bill, ignoring child services etc in their campaign?

Old 12-15-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Got to agree that even though I'd be against the change, I'd like to see a referendum on about 20 other issues first before an hour on the clock rises to the level of significance that demands the voice of the people.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
You do know that's not dlst right?
? Day light savings time started Sunday March 13 at 2:00 am & ended Sunday November 6 at 2:00 am.

So, by getting rid of DLST, we would not get the 10pm sunsets any longer - something I stated I enjoy.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:11 PM

Default Typical government misdirection

Otherwise known as "smoke and mirrors", used to distract the population from the important topics. At least they didn't start a war somewhere like the U.S. is wont to do.
So long as the sun continues to rise in the East and set in the West, I could care less what time of day it is.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell