Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2019, 09:57 PM

Default Connor McDaniel suspension

Thoughts on the Connor mcdavid suspension. Was it the right call or not your thoughts
Old 02-22-2019, 10:05 PM

Good call. Primary point of contact was the head. Didn't look malicious. Glad Leddy got right back up. For those who want to blame Leddy because he 'lost his balance and leaned into it'...take your McLoving goggles off.

The League has been making strides to protect players from this, and even though it wasn't predatory it still needs to be called, regardless of who hit whom.

I know for sure if that had been Leddy hitting McDavid, all the fans who are outraged about the suspension would be screaming for ten games to be handed out for hitting the Holy One.

It has to be the same standard, and it was a check to the head. Absolutely.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-22-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Good call. Primary point of contact was the head. Didn't look malicious. Glad Leddy got right back up. For those who want to blame Leddy because he 'lost his balance and leaned into it'...take your McLoving goggles off.

The League has been making strides to protect players from this, and even though it wasn't predatory it still needs to be called, regardless of who hit whom.

I know for sure if that had been Leddy hitting McDavid, all the fans who are outraged about the suspension would be screaming for ten games to be handed out for hitting the Holy One.

It has to be the same standard, and it was a check to the head. Absolutely.
Yep. Thinking back to Cogliano last year, not intentional but cost him his ironman streak and possibly a shot at the hall of fame. As much as I respect McDavid and enjoy seeing him play, the consequence should be equal across the board.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:04 PM

Oilers fan and I agree.... hate it, but agree.

Karlsson got 2 games for almost the exact same hit and history. All we can ask for in any aspect of the game and NHL rulings is consistency.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:32 PM

Who is Connor McDaniel anyway? google keeps taking me to an Irish ping pong champion.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:50 AM

Yes it was the correct call, 2 games is fair and pretty well the minimum they could have given him, had they not given him anything the rest of the team's would have hollered bloody murder and rightly so.

Those that think it was unfair and think it really wasn't a hit to the head didn't watch the replay........And if someone hit McDavid like that those same people would want a 10 game suspension handed out..... I've been an oilers fan since the whl days but there is no place in the game for hits like that......... no matter who dishes them out

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:26 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Conner McDaniel, Master's: Bacteriophages: The Future of Safe Beef.....life after the game

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-23-2019, 08:05 AM

I thought the whole team was suspended, for multiple games at times.☹️ Right call and yep I’m a follower of the oil.( struggling with the fan thing).
Old 02-23-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Oilers fan and I agree.... hate it, but agree.

Karlsson got 2 games for almost the exact same hit and history. All we can ask for in any aspect of the game and NHL rulings is consistency.
I am taking family to the game tonight, but refs got it right.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I am taking family to the game tonight, but refs got it right.
I heard if you wear an oiler jersey you get in free

Old 02-23-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I heard if you wear an oiler jersey you get in free
I'm getting in free anyhow. Lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2019, 09:13 AM
Banned

Ban helmets.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I'm getting in free anyhow. Lol.

I can't imagine paying , even if McDavid was playing.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I can't imagine paying , even if McDavid was playing.
Me neither.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Me neither.

Those 4 tickets, even though nosebleeds, are the better part of a CZ 452, or all the shells I will shoot this fall. I'm grateful for the kind gesture of a coworker, but I'd never pay. Not this year anyhow.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:07 AM

One thing that doesn't seem to be considered is what led up to that hit. At the other end Mcdavid was on a rush with the puck and Leddy hooked and tripped Mcdavid in front of the ref but there was no call. Mcdavid was frustrated and took the chance to hit Leddy. He could have really levelled him but held back somewhat. I'm actually glad he defended himself as the ref's aren't doing their job. Retaliation usually gets called but it also sends a message that he's not going to be pushed around without some consequences.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper01 View Post
One thing that doesn't seem to be considered is what led up to that hit. At the other end Mcdavid was on a rush with the puck and Leddy hooked and tripped Mcdavid in front of the ref but there was no call. Mcdavid was frustrated and took the chance to hit Leddy. He could have really levelled him but held back somewhat. I'm actually glad he defended himself as the ref's aren't doing their job. Retaliation usually gets called but it also sends a message that he's not going to be pushed around without some consequences.
Drew Remenda noted that right after the period ended. Very good point--the hit never happens if the refs call that on Leddy first because McDavid doesn't get frustrated and find himself taking things into his own hands.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Those 4 tickets, even though nosebleeds, are the better part of a CZ 452, or all the shells I will shoot this fall. I'm grateful for the kind gesture of a coworker, but I'd never pay. Not this year anyhow.

Thought you were gearing up.....sns2 centring the kraut and the ape.....one great shift is all we ask!

Old 02-23-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Thought you were gearing up.....sns2 centring the kraut and the ape.....one great shift is all we ask!

Lol

Old 02-23-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Drew Remenda noted that right after the period ended. Very good point--the hit never happens if the refs call that on Leddy first because McDavid doesn't get frustrated and find himself taking things into his own hands.
The hit never happens, if McDavid puts aside his personal desire for revenge, and doesn't let his selfishness put the entire game at risk, by taking a stupid penalty. If Leddy had gone down, and stayed down, the penalty may have been more severe. He is paid millions per season to try and win games.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:09 PM

You want that stuff to stop? Then make it the NNCHL (National Non Contact Hockey League) Or have them play by the rules of Women's Hockey. What ever happened to separate the player from the puck and not separate the player from his consciousness. Just watch the front of the net. Kids are emulating this stuff and they can't figure out why they get sent to the penalty box.
Good call Ref's
Old 02-23-2019, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Pavel Bure was forced to take matters into his own hands...

And NO ONE ever took liberties with him again...

https://youtu.be/spu2WMEEo-c
Old 02-23-2019, 12:33 PM

Default McDavid suspension

Of course head hits have to be punished, but who can blame McDavid for being frustrated after all the crap he puts up with, often in front of the refs who ignore the fouls.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:42 PM

I feel bad for McDavid. The fine is egregious. He should go right out & do it again if the fouls against him don't go un-called.

How about his teammates stick up for him, line brawl might just wake the league up. Kassian, Lucic could sit a couple games. What a joke.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-23-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
The hit never happens, if McDavid puts aside his personal desire for revenge, and doesn't let his selfishness put the entire game at risk, by taking a stupid penalty. If Leddy had gone down, and stayed down, the penalty may have been more severe. He is paid millions per season to try and win games.
The refs are paid to call the penalties. January McDavid tAkes an Elvis to the head non call. The next night he takes the lumber across as the numbers head first into the boards while a ref watches no call.

The NHL needs to do something with their reffing problem.

A simple solution would be to eliminate the instigator penalty. Let the big boys sort things out on their own.

Was it Mario Lemieux that called it a garage league. He was right.

BW
Old 02-23-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
The refs are paid to call the penalties. January McDavid tAkes an Elvis to the head non call. The next night he takes the lumber across as the numbers head first into the boards while a ref watches no call.

The NHL needs to do something with their reffing problem.

A simple solution would be to eliminate the instigator penalty. Let the big boys sort things out on their own.

Was it Mario Lemieux that called it a garage league. He was right.

BW
You make it sound like the refs only ignore infractions against McDavid, and that it is a conspiracy against Edmonton. Calls get missed against players on all teams. I can understand how Edmonton fans are frustrated, but the refs are not the reason that Edmonton has been a cellar dweller , and have only made the playoffs once in the past twelve years, and is going to miss them again this year, with or without McDavid.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-23-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
You make it sound like the refs only ignore infractions against McDavid, and that it is a conspiracy against Edmonton. Calls get missed against players on all teams. I can understand how Edmonton fans are frustrated, but the refs are not the reason that Edmonton has been a cellar dweller , and have only made the playoffs once in the past twelve years, and is going to miss them again this year, with or without McDavid.
This has nothing to do with where the oilers are in the standings. It has everything to do with the standard of reffing in the NHL. The league has a problem that wasn’t there before the instigator penalty was installed.

BW
Old 02-23-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Don’t be dumb. He said it’s a reffing problem. He used McDavid as his examples as he’s an Oiler fan and mainly watches those games. Once again, his point is the nhl has a reffing problem was his main point.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
This has nothing to do with where the oilers are in the standings. It has everything to do with the standard of reffing in the NHL. The league has a problem that wasn’t there before the instigator penalty was installed.

BW
And every team is living with the same reffing, and when their players retaliate with contact to the head, they get suspended, regardless of who they play for. The difference is, the teams in playoff contention, are more concerned about winning games, than about whining about the reffing.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
And every team is living with the same reffing, and when their players retaliate with contact to the head, they get suspended, regardless of who they play for. The difference is, the teams in playoff contention, are more concerned about winning games, than about whining about the reffing.
Maybe so, but if you watch enough hockey, but I’m sure you don’t, you’d notice the reffing is getting very inconsistent.