Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Congrats on the new truck

After all the paperwork is complete someone will be by in the morning for your man card because you will no longer be needing it
lol
Old 02-22-2019, 08:03 PM

Old 02-22-2019, 08:06 PM

Pixel, I need your help!!!!
Old 02-22-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Pixel, I need your help!!!!
You just chose a ridge line over a Tacoma I am not sure you can be helped
Old 02-22-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
After having two successive lemon trucks, I put a lot of thought into what I needed for MY style of hunting (chasing birds for 10 weekends and deer/moose for one or two in farm country). After a thorough test drive with a Subaru - - I narrowed my list down to a Honda Ridgeline and a Toyota Tacoma Double Cab. Both would have been great choices, but 90%+ of my driving is on city roads and highways, thus I went for the more comfortable of the two options, rather than the more off-road capable option. Picking up my Ridgeline after work. 2017, 24,000kms, 3M Rockguard, and a 7 year extended warranty that the original owner bought. $36,300 all in. Not the right decision for everyone, but for me it was.

Thanks to all of you who gave input and sent PMs over the past few months.
I went the same route as you last year. My previous three trucks were a F-250, F-350 and my last a K2500. Once I sold the 5th wheel I really didn't have a need for a crew cab 3/4 ton even though my 1999 K2500 crew cab only had about 180K on it. I ended up buying a 2012 Ridgeline and really enjoy driving it even though it is as ugly as sin. The lockable trunk function proved really useful last year during summer vacation. I won't kid myself that it is a body on frame truck as it only has a 1500lb payload and 5K towing capacity, but for a truck that is mostly an urban commuter it does what I need. For offroading, I have seen a couple of lift kit options that may really help out with the high centering issue, and a decent set of tires would probably make a huge difference. Disclosure, I also owned a 2000 Subaru Legacy wagon that was an absolute urban snowmobile, probably one of the best vehicles that I have ever owned. I did try a Tacoma crew cab prior to the Ridgeline, but it seemed that it really wasn't designed for people over 6'. I did not however doubt it's reliability or off-road capabilities, it just wasn't very comfortable to drive.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:37 AM

Enjoy.

My 1st gen 2006 is pushing 340,000km and still going strong. Have had to do some work over the years but nothing unexpected. Great truck, especially for city. Only downside I have experienced is lower clearance
Old 02-23-2019, 05:28 AM
Banned

Do you wear your wife's clothes everday or only on weekends? Just kidding. I'm sure it'll be a good.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:37 AM

And still needs a decoy trailer?
Old 02-23-2019, 05:51 AM

Two weeks into owning my used 2007 with 150km on it. No way I would have bought it without the cap because I think they're ugly as sin.... but I find it very comfortable and needed something that was a cross over and it fit the bill and my pocketbook. My preference would have been a Tacoma but I couldn't find one reasonably priced with lower kilometers....

My research as well as talking to owners resulted in high praise for the Ridgeline, so took a chance.

Plus I kept my 98 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins if I ever get the need to feel what a real truck feels like....
Old 02-27-2019, 10:57 AM

Glad you found something you are happy with.

One piece of advice, with no shot meant, Put some tow hooks/shackles on it front and back, before you stick that Ridgeline for the first time. You want a good solid anchor point to pull from on those cars or you risk serious damage.

When you stick it in the Subaru test drive field, call me and I will bring the big truck and tow you out.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:44 PM

Default Ridgeline

We have an 06 with almost 450,000 on it now. And other than the usual consumable, wear out parts it hasn't cost us much at all. And never left us stranded. The trunk is the best feature on it, the new ones are smaller though. My biggest complaints with it is that I wish it had a few more ponies under the hood. And the limited ground clearance that gets less if you have anything heavy in the back. It fits our needs and we like it and would buy another. And sadly it has about the same amount of rust on it as most 5 year old domestics.
Otto.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:53 PM

it will be a nice suv but it is not a truck
Old 02-27-2019, 01:58 PM

Can't go wrong with Honda quality but after seeing a new ridgeline recently I mentioned to my wife "that truck looks like its designed for a new age metrosexual wanting to take his poodle to the park."

Any chance you sport a manbun or own a curly haired dog?...just curious
Old 02-27-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
The Ranger is back for 2019.
Saw one at Costco the other day... Hate to say it, it looks good!

Congrats on the Ridgeline, sns2! Hope you get a lot of enjoyment with it.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Saw one at Costco the other day... Hate to say it, it looks good!

Congrats on the Ridgeline, sns2! Hope you get a lot of enjoyment with it.
Thanks man. It is the compromise vehicle that works best for me. Take care.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:34 PM

Enjoy it sir! BTW, which rubber did it come with?
Old 02-27-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
And still needs a decoy trailer?
Why would I need a decoy trailer?
Old 02-27-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Can't go wrong with Honda quality but after seeing a new ridgeline recently I mentioned to my wife "that truck looks like its designed for a new age metrosexual wanting to take his poodle to the park."

Any chance you sport a manbun or own a curly haired dog?...just curious
Nope. Neither
Old 02-27-2019, 06:47 PM

Where are the pictures of this Honda going where no Subaru could?

BW
Old 02-27-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Where are the pictures of this Honda going where no Subaru could?

BW
Gonna have to wait until snow goose season before I get stuck. Will post then for sure
Old 02-27-2019, 06:59 PM

I test drove a Ridgeline this week, as well as a Canyon and a Tacoma. I pick up the new Tacoma tomorrow . Instead of my awd car and 4x4 full sized pickup, I am going with a mid sized 4x4 pickup to replace them both. The Ridgeline was comfortable, but no locking differential, or even the option of locking both axles together took it out of the running. The Canyon was very impressive as far as engine and interior, but the brakes and steering were overpowered, and the resale and reliability are poor. The Tacoma can't match the other two in mileage or gadgets, but I liked the firmer ride and brakes and steering. And history confirms, that the resale and reliability are far superior to the Canyon. And if sns2 takes the Ridgeline out to the field where he got the Subaru stuck, I can pull him out.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Gonna have to wait until snow goose season before I get stuck. Will post then for sure
I’m not looking for you to get stuck. Just want to know if it’s better than a Subaru?

BW
Old 02-27-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I’m not looking for you to get stuck. Just want to know if it’s better than a Subaru?

BW
Hard to say. I did drive it in the same field and went almost up to the place I got stuck. The Subaru was pretty damn good, but high centred is high centred. Subaru actually has more ground clearance. I was thinking of trying to give er hell and go past, but I wanted someone there to pull me out. No dealership to call. LOL.

When I get er stuck, I will have someone take video of Elk pulling me out.

I am a city slicker, whose wife and kids ride with me often, and the comfort of an SUV with a box on the back, trumped the off-road capability of the Tacoma which is undoubtedly miles better. However, I am confident it will do what I need it to do on the 10 weekends I will hunt this fall.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Post of the month!!! lmao

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-28-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Post of the month!!! lmao
It was a good one for sure
Old 02-28-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I test drove a Ridgeline this week, as well as a Canyon and a Tacoma. I pick up the new Tacoma tomorrow . Instead of my awd car and 4x4 full sized pickup, I am going with a mid sized 4x4 pickup to replace them both. The Ridgeline was comfortable, but no locking differential, or even the option of locking both axles together took it out of the running. The Canyon was very impressive as far as engine and interior, but the brakes and steering were overpowered, and the resale and reliability are poor. The Tacoma can't match the other two in mileage or gadgets, but I liked the firmer ride and brakes and steering. And history confirms, that the resale and reliability are far superior to the Canyon. And if sns2 takes the Ridgeline out to the field where he got the Subaru stuck, I can pull him out.
You hit the only weak spot of the Tacoma, the mileage. I drive one and have had many prior to my current. They are bullet proof but Toyota hasn't kept up to the competition when it comes to fuel consumption.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Hard to say. I did drive it in the same field and went almost up to the place I got stuck. The Subaru was pretty damn good, but high centred is high centred. Subaru actually has more ground clearance. I was thinking of trying to give er hell and go past, but I wanted someone there to pull me out. No dealership to call. LOL.

When I get er stuck, I will have someone take video of Elk pulling me out.

I am a city slicker, whose wife and kids ride with me often, and the comfort of an SUV with a box on the back, trumped the off-road capability of the Tacoma which is undoubtedly miles better. However, I am confident it will do what I need it to do on the 10 weekends I will hunt this fall.
Invest in a set of tire chains, a good tow rope, a shovel, and a decent tow strap, or a set of duratrack tires. If the Subaru had more clearance and still got high centered this might be money well spent.

BW
Old 02-28-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
You hit the only weak spot of the Tacoma, the mileage. I drive one and have had many prior to my current. They are bullet proof but Toyota hasn't kept up to the competition when it comes to fuel consumption.
The fuel mileage difference between the Tacoma and Colorado is about 2mpg, not enough to offset the difference in reliability and depreciation.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
No idea why anyone would spend their hard earned money on an inferior product (Canyon/Colorado/Ranger) over a slight difference in MPG.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:53 AM

What are you guys getting City, Highway etc for real world mileage on the V8 Toyotas. Fuelly shows about 18 mpg Canadian as an average overall. I hear lots about their bad mileage but like Tacomama says, can't imagine picking a truck just because it gets 2 mpg better and the rest is not near as good.

Reason I am curious is I don't find the mileage on the newer trucks enough higher to warrant switching from what I have been driving for years, even though its overall average is about 14 mpg (Canadian). Last few years I only put 8-10,000 Ks on it a year so I just can't make the argument that going up even 5 mpg will ever pay for the cost of the new truck.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-28-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Closed Thread