Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-25-2019, 05:51 PM

One thing that nobody has mentioned is that you should seriously consider looking into getting the Big Tiller handle if you opt for the 40hp. I have a 16 SSV with a 40hp Mercury and kick myself all the time for not spending the extra 3-400 for the upgraded handle. I hate having to use two hands, one to hang onto the Tiller and the other to work the trim switch.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
...Does Edmonton boat show have an Alumacraft dealer? IMO, Alumacraft is the only real competitor to Lund in terms of truly great fishing boats, and they didn't have a rep dealer at Calgary Boat Show, which was super disappointing to me. I'm sort of between the Lund Fury XL and the Alumacraft Escape 16 (both "best of the basic tinners") and wanted to be able to compare...
From my experience with Boat Shows you will still get a Boat show "deal"
a week or so later and have a better buying experience at the dealership.
Often dealers get Mfg. incentive discounts on most models for Boat Shows and they are rarely sold out at the show. That said, the Shows are a great place for a prospective buyer to view a variety of options and pricing under one roof.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
...Does Edmonton boat show have an Alumacraft dealer? IMO, Alumacraft is the only real competitor to Lund in terms of truly great fishing boats, and they didn't have a rep dealer at Calgary Boat Show, which was super disappointing to me. I'm sort of between the Lund Fury XL and the Alumacraft Escape 16 (both "best of the basic tinners") and wanted to be able to compare...

I would disagree that Alumacraft is the only real competitor to Lund. That discounts Princecraft, Crestliner, Starcraft, Polarcraft, and many others. Lots of good boats out there. I’m obviously a little biased towards Princecraft though. Made in Canada with Canadian aluminum, so no tariffs and exchange hasn’t caused the price to jump like many others.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-26-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I would disagree that Alumacraft is the only real competitor to Lund. That discounts Princecraft, Crestliner, Starcraft, Polarcraft, and many others. Lots of good boats out there. I’m obviously a little biased towards Princecraft though. Made in Canada with Canadian aluminum, so no tariffs and exchange hasn’t caused the price to jump like many others.
I was Lund my whole life until Aaron Wiebe's Uncut Angling vids, and he's really turned me on to Alumacraft boats. Does Princecraft have anything in a 16-foot tinner with a floor, similar to the Fury XL or Escape 16?
Old 02-26-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I was Lund my whole life until Aaron Wiebe's Uncut Angling vids, and he's really turned me on to Alumacraft boats. Does Princecraft have anything in a 16-foot tinner with a floor, similar to the Fury XL or Escape 16?
That would be either the Resorter DL BT or the Amarok DL BT. The Resorter is 16' long, 73" beam, 588 lbs, rated for 40 hp. Has a livewell, full width splashwell, bilge pump, vinyl floor, room for 7' rods.

https://www.princecraft.com/us/en/pr...er-160-BT.aspx

The Amarok is 16' 6" long, 88" wide, 954 lbs, rated for 60 hp. Has a livewell, full width spashwell, bilge pump, vinyl floor, in floor rod locker for 5 rods.

https://www.princecraft.com/us/en/pr...ok-166-BT.aspx

Both have the same warranties as Lund.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:26 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Max rating in the tiller version is 40HP.

Two stroke is not really an option on a Lund - Merc or Honda unless you want spend a lot more money. I wouldn't advise it anyway. I know the new ETEC is much improved, but IMHO, not worth the noise, smoke and inconvenience of adding oil. I also wouldn't be keen on long hours at idle/trolling speeds with a 2 stroke.
This right here.

Spot on.

Electric tilt, trim and start too

Google Honda BF40.....what a beauty to compliment this boat.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 02-26-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:19 PM

Great thread. I want to upgrade (not sure why) to another 16’ boat. 16’ with a fold away hitch fits nicely in the garage.

Sam Steele gave me quite a bit of help last spring. I sold the jet boat and wanted something for lakes with no boat launch, also something that can handle decent sized water.

I got a SSV16 with a 25hp. Pull start to keep it light. The motor is the 135lb Yamaha. Having the option to easily remove the motor is nice. Think it would be nicer to have a 40hp instead. It’s a plane Jane bear bones fish killer.

https://youtu.be/QDl-WvUJat8

Last edited by MooseRiverTrapper; 02-26-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
I have to ask, what financial incentives are usually at the boat show if any?

It seems most deals are seasonal, not boat show only. Will there be special financing that weeknd only?

I do not live near Edmonton. I was planning on going to the boat show in March, and it likely would have been a $1000 weekend (wifey and I do like to have fun). Since I am really close to having decided on my boat, and everyone here has been so generous spending my money, I am thinking I should stay home and put that money towards a bigger motor.

Will I miss out on something?
Dont think you will find a better deal at the show - but like one fellow said you can look at all thr boats seconds away from one another and check out prices layouts, options etc etc.

I would not be too set on lund specifically. They are a nice boat but i would say especially alumacraft and crestliner are easily competitors. I am biased because i have a crestliner and it had the most open space overall in the boat with the layout. You may also want to start looking at some more numbers and specs regarding chine width, boat depth, angle of the front nose, thickness of aluminum, weight capacity(huge one), and all that sort of stuff as well. I went with crestliner because in that price range it was the only one with welded seems instead of rivots - and a lifetime warranty. The etecs also have a 7 year warranty i believe, the longest of any of the motors.

I think youll get a better deal after the show at the dealer before spring gets too close.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I could use some help here, and am fully admitting to not knowing much about this style of boat.

I pretty much have my mind made up on a Lund Fury 1600 tiller. My son has a nice ski boat, and my boat will only be used for fishing, the ski boat would be used for fun.

My plan is to hang a Mercury 25 on it, which weighs 150lbs. One salesman says I will need power tilt and trim. Another says I don't and the assist on the motor is plenty.

Guys, I have no clue about this. I am 52 and plan to get a lot of use out of this boat when I retire. Will this be an issue in 10 years?

I am open to advice.

Thanks in advance.

So please poste what u finally purchase. Would be interested
Old 02-27-2019, 04:23 PM

One thing I've learned in my search for a boat/motor/trailer package, is that I won't buy anything without a Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki motor on it. I used to be exclusively Merc fanboi, but I've really changed my tune...
Old 02-27-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
This right here.

Spot on.

Electric tilt, trim and start too

Google Honda BF40.....what a beauty to compliment this boat.
I am trying to be calm and collected so I don't race into anything. But are you and I ever on the same page!!!!
Old 02-27-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Great thread.
Couldn't agree more. This thread has been a great help to me!!!!
Old 02-27-2019, 06:49 PM

i own both a leaky Lund and a crestliner both have there own good points , but the crestliner is the newest and the best for the fishing I do,
Old 02-27-2019, 07:11 PM

If you look at the Crestliner Outreach you will note that they are riveted. That’s because they are made for Crestliner by Princecraft.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I have the Fury 14' side console with 30hp Honda. The 30 is max rating for the 14, and I would like more. A 40 on the 16 would probably be about the same performance, the 25 would be a dog.

Since I fish alone all the time, the side console is nice, especially when running the length of the lake at 40 kph in rain. The floor space is reduced significantly, but the layout with multiple fisherman will be up to the kind of fishing that you do. Two people casting will be the comfortable limit in either layout. Balance is better with the console when alone, you will be aft heavy alone in the tiller and will need the power trim.

The only extra maintenance with a console is greasing the steering cable, which I have done once in 5 years. What else is there?

I really like my Fury and what sold me is the large storage compared to other 14 footers, and I can launch it easily in windy conditions by myself.
Great boat. I really like it and the pic.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:33 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
I am trying to be calm and collected so I don't race into anything. But are you and I ever on the same page!!!!
We should be now.....great boat choice just not for a 25 horse anything.....check out the little Honda 40......one motor can do it all, get you up and out of the hole and to your destination or putt putt all day long trolling with no issues.....good luck!

Oh and I went to a 14" crestliner with a 15 horse Honda short shaft in 2007 pretty much for the same reasons you are....never had an issue at all.
Fish just jump in

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-28-2019, 06:49 AM

Great advice on this thread.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but when pricing out the boat make sure that price includes simple things like spare tire for the trailer, is trailer galvanized versus painted, battery for trolling motor if so equipped, safety gear, life jackets, oars etc. When I was buying in 2008, that is what lead me to buy my Crestliner where I did as the boat came fully equipped. All I had to do was stop and put gas in it before I hit the lake. Some dealers charged extra for the spare tire plus most everything else which increased their prices substantially.

As mentioned max your horsepower out. That is where I failed with my package boat. Has the 50hp Merc as noted above and my boat is rated for a 75hp. I am thinking of repowering with a new 90hp sooner than later. Extra ponies be nice as boat will get up on plane way nicer.

And before anyone states that is more than the rated maximum hp I have contacted Nav Canada and have email responses from them stating the rated hp is only a recommendation and there is no law stating you cannot exceed it. I have also discussed with my insurance company and they have no issue as long as I do not exceed 200hp.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post

And before anyone states that is more than the rated maximum hp I have contacted Nav Canada and have email responses from them stating the rated hp is only a recommendation and there is no law stating you cannot exceed it. I have also discussed with my insurance company and they have no issue as long as I do not exceed 200hp.

Canada doesn’t seem to care about overpowering. It is a big deal in the US so if you ever plan on taking the boat south of the border, or reselling it there in the future it’s something to keep in mind.

I had a 16’ Sylvan SC that was rated for 75 with a 90hp Yamaha 2 stroke on it and it was a quick boat for sure.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
That would be either the Resorter DL BT or the Amarok DL BT. The Resorter is 16' long, 73" beam, 588 lbs, rated for 40 hp. Has a livewell, full width splashwell, bilge pump, vinyl floor, room for 7' rods.

https://www.princecraft.com/us/en/pr...er-160-BT.aspx

The Amarok is 16' 6" long, 88" wide, 954 lbs, rated for 60 hp. Has a livewell, full width spashwell, bilge pump, vinyl floor, in floor rod locker for 5 rods.

https://www.princecraft.com/us/en/pr...ok-166-BT.aspx

Both have the same warranties as Lund.
I bought the Amarok last year at Barry J's, and opted up to a 75 hp. Might be a little more than you were originally thinking but as mentioned here it comes with a lot of stuff that make it a very nice little boat. Last year there was a package called something like the "Northern Fishing Package" that added trolling motor, fish finder, rod holders, etc. not sure if that option is still available or not. Boat came with galvanized trailer (no spare tire) with break away tongue. Only issue I had is the "locking" in floor rod locker doesn't seem lock which isn't too big of a deal as it sits in my garage when I'm not fishing.

The boat might be a bit heavier but it I can't even tell its there pulling with a 1/2 ton (This could easily be pulled by most small SUVs) and the extra weight seems to provide a bit more stability (this may be the extra couple inches in the beam).

Overall I am very happy with the boat and can honestly say the guys at Barry J's treated me very well (I have no connection to the dealership).
Old 02-28-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Practitioner View Post
I bought the Amarok last year at Barry J's, and opted up to a 75 hp. Might be a little more than you were originally thinking but as mentioned here it comes with a lot of stuff that make it a very nice little boat. Last year there was a package called something like the "Northern Fishing Package" that added trolling motor, fish finder, rod holders, etc. not sure if that option is still available or not.
Yes, they negotiated the package from Princecraft again this year and are the only dealership with it at that price in Canada

Quote:
Boat came with galvanized trailer (no spare tire) with break away tongue. Only issue I had is the "locking" in floor rod locker doesn't seem lock which isn't too big of a deal as it sits in my garage when I'm not fishing.
Sometimes the locking arm and striker need to be adjusted a bit to ensure they engage right. I would encourage you to chat with the dealership to get it adjusted so it works as it should.

Quote:
Overall I am very happy with the boat and can honestly say the guys at Barry J's treated me very well (I have no connection to the dealership).

Good to hear.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, they negotiated the package from Princecraft again this year and are the only dealership with it at that price in Canada

Sometimes the locking arm and striker need to be adjusted a bit to ensure they engage right. I would encourage you to chat with the dealership to get it adjusted so it works as it should.

Good to hear.

Is that a tiller?
Old 03-01-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Is that a tiller?

The Amarok is available in a BT (tiller), DL WS (basic windshield), and DLX WS (deluxe windshield). This package is on the DL WS and the price point is actually lower than the BT would be.

I did a walkthrough of this boat and put it on YouTube a few weeks ago.

https://youtu.be/zViwX1rEIL4

Old 03-01-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
The Amarok is available in a BT (tiller), DL WS (basic windshield), and DLX WS (deluxe windshield). This package is on the DL WS and the price point is actually lower than the BT would be.

I did a walkthrough of this boat and put it on YouTube a few weeks ago.

https://youtu.be/zViwX1rEIL4
That was super cool. I dig the rear casting deck. I'm curious about changing the seats around. How easily do the seats pop out of the bases, to move, so if you wanted to take one from the back and put it up on the front casting deck, how easy is that to do?
Old 03-01-2019, 10:06 AM

Pedestals are easy to move around. Press a button and lift to remove, drop in the base and it locks in.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
That was super cool. I dig the rear casting deck. I'm curious about changing the seats around. How easily do the seats pop out of the bases, to move, so if you wanted to take one from the back and put it up on the front casting deck, how easy is that to do?
I can confirm the seats move pretty easily. The rear fish platform is where I spend 90% of my time (I typically stand instead of moving a seat). The foot pedal that controls the front trolling motor has enough cable that it reaches the rear platform so I can control the boat and see the fish/depth finder from the rear platform.

If you have any other questions on the boat I'd be happy to give my perspective after having it for one season. The 2018 model I have is VERY similar to the one in the video - only main difference I saw is I have a BT stereo as well, not sure if that was part of the fishing package or something else I had them add on.

I had started by looking at some used Lunds but realized that I could this thing with the 75 HP Mec and every option I wanted for about the same price as a lot of the used boats I was looking at.

Last edited by General Practitioner; 03-01-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-01-2019, 11:56 AM

I have never used my back two seats. Bought a couple of pedistall seets shortly after I got it. Take up less room and like leaning against them.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:31 PM

So what's a unit like that Amarok set you back, new? The Fury XL seems to be virtually identical...curious what the difference in price is there...