Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Black Rifles. The Poll! Round three.
Black Rifles should be treated as any other firearm (same regulations) 82 72.57%
Black rifles should not be permitted to be taken hunting but should still be used to sporting 22 19.47%
Black rifles are nothing more than a plague on gun owners and should be heavily controlled 2 1.77%
Black rifles should be prohibited and confiscated 7 6.19%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2007, 04:59 PM
nafegavas

Default Re: Tree's Back!

With all due respect, wendy cukier's coalition for gun control recieved most of its funding from the former liberal government of Canada. Tax dollars being spent to lobby a government on how to direct public policy. Cukier teaches jounalism at Ryerson university in Toronto and thus is an expert at molding public perception. Don't let any one compromise your feelings on gun ownership, if you're a good person you have a right to own whatever you want without apology, evil governments try to take away that right.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:11 PM
osterb

An interesting note.

Assault rifle was the name given by Adolf Hitler in 1944 for his new MP44 which was actually a subgun. The term "assault rifle" is Hitler's terminology.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:25 AM
kanonfodder

Ya I read that somewhere too he, coined the phrase stormrifle or Sturmgewehr to describe his new mp44
Old 03-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Okotokian

Quote:
Death = $! Think about it, they are the people whom are hoping that another 'Ecole Polytechnique', or 'Watson College' plays out. They are sitting at home, wishing for an even larger massacar to further their cause! How sick is that? The slaughter of innocents is what they two-fold want.
I hardly think so. No sane person wants more slaughter. Over the top.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:25 PM
osterb

Quote:
I hardly think so. No sane person wants more slaughter. Over the top.
Ahem...

Quote:
I hate to say it but it's going to take the kind of massacre that kills lots of children. That's the only way we are going to see progress. I think it's got to be worse than Columbine..."
- Bryan Jones, director of the Center for American Politics and Public Policy on the subject of gun control laws
Awfully close.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:36 PM
rugatika

"A gun is a tool Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." - Alan Ladd. SHANE
Old 03-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Okotokian

Guess it depends on your interpretation Osterb. I didn't take that quote as him WANTING that to happen.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:18 PM
nafegavas

Reread it, that's exactly what he wants.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:54 AM
nafegavas

Default Good article

Very pertinent to this thread.

www.gunsandammomag.com/long_guns/phar_022707/
Old 03-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Re: Good article

Default Re: Good article

Excellent post on that article.

Here is a copy of a letter from Jim Zumbo outlining the "facts" as he now sees them.

Quote:
JIM ZUMBO

February 28, 2007

Mr. Alan Gottlieb, Chairman
Citizens Committee for the
Right to Keep and Bear Arms
12500 N.E. Tenth Place
Bellevue, WA 98005

Dear Alan:

They say that hindsight is always 20-20. In my case, hindsight has been a hard teacher, like the father teaching the son a lesson about life in the wood shed.

I was wrong when I recently suggested that wildlife agencies should ban semiautomatic firearms I erroneously called “assault rifles” for hunting. I insulted legions of my fellow gun owners in the process by calling them “terrorist rifles.” I can never apologize enough for having worn blinders when I should have been wearing bifocals.

But unlike those who would destroy the Second Amendment right to own a firearm – any firearm – I have learned from my embarrassing mistake. My error should not be used, as it has been in recent days by our common enemies, in an effort to dangerously erode our right to keep and bear arms.

I would hope instead to use this spotlight to address my hunting fraternity, many of whom shared my erroneous position. I am a hunter and like many others I had the wrong picture in mind. I associated these firearms with military action, and saw not hunting as I have known it, not the killing of a varmint, but the elimination of the entire colony. Nothing could be further from the truth, but I know from whence it comes. This ridiculous image, formed in the blink of an eye, exerts an unconscious effect on all decisions that follow. In seeking to protect our hunting rights by guarding how we are seen in the public eye, I lost sight of the larger picture; missed the forest for the trees.

My own lack of experience was no excuse for ignoring the fact that millions of Americans – people who would share a campfire or the shelter of their tent, and who have hurt nobody – own, hunt with and competitively shoot or collect the kinds of firearms I so easily dismissed.

I recently took a “crash course” on these firearms with Ted Nugent, to learn more about them and to educate myself. In the process, I learned about the very real threat that faces all American gun owners.

I’ve studied up on legislation now in Congress that would renew and dangerously expand a ban on many types of firearms. The bill, HR 1022 sponsored by New York Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, is written so broadly that it would outlaw numerous firearms and accessories, including a folding stock for a Ruger rifle. I understand that some of the language could ultimately take away my timeworn and cherished hunting rifles and shotguns as well as those of all American hunters.

The extremist supporters of HR 1022 don’t want to stop criminals. They want to invent new ones out of people like you and me with the simple stroke of a pen. They will do anything they can to make it impossible for more and more American citizens to legally own any firearm.

Realizing that what I wrote catered to this insidious attack on fellow gun owners has, one might say, “awakened a sleeping giant within me, and filled him with a terrible resolve.”

I made a mistake. But those who would use my remarks to further their despicable political agenda have made a bigger one. I hope to become their worst nightmare. I admit I was wrong. They insist they are right.

Enclosed, you will find a check that is intended to be used to fight and defeat HR 1022. I also hope it inspires other gun owners to “do as I do, not as I say.”

I’m putting my money where my mouth should have been, and where my heart and soul have always been. I know the Second Amendment isn’t about hunting and never has been. My blunder was in thinking that by working to protect precious hunting rights I was doing enough. I promise it will never happen again.

I don’t know what lies over the horizon for me. I am not ready for the rocking chair.

I’m going to devote every ounce of my energy to this battle. I will remind my fellow hunters that we are first, gun owners. Whether we like it or not, our former apathy and prejudices may place that which we love, hunting, in jeopardy. I will educate fellow outdoorsmen who mistakenly think like I talked, even if I have to visit every hunting camp and climb into every duck blind and deer stand in this country to get it done. I was wrong, and I’m going to make it right.

Sincerely,
Jim Zumbo
Old 03-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Good reading

Default Good reading

"I made a mistake. But those who would use my remarks to further their despicable political agenda have made a bigger one. I hope to become their worst nightmare. I admit I was wrong. They insist they are right. "I beleave him very good read thanks altahunter
Old 03-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Re: Good reading

Default Re: Good reading

I think this is the most pertinent and insightful quote from the letter

Quote:
I am a hunter and like many others I had the wrong picture in mind. I associated these firearms with military action, and saw not hunting as I have known it, not the killing of a varmint, but the elimination of the entire colony. Nothing could be further from the truth, but I know from whence it comes. This ridiculous image, formed in the blink of an eye, exerts an unconscious effect on all decisions that follow. In seeking to protect our hunting rights by guarding how we are seen in the public eye, I lost sight of the larger picture; missed the forest for the trees.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:20 AM
sheep hunter

I know Jim really well and feel he has been a great guy in the hunting industry but I have a hard time believing that a guy with 30 years of gun writing experience knew so little about AR15s. It just doesn't add up. Anyhow, sorry he said what he did and he will be missed.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Re: Good reading

Hey Sheep, so much for not passing personal opinion as judgement on a public forum.

I agree with you by the way.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 PM
sheep hunter

Let's make deal alta...save the personal shots for the other thread and let's stick to the thread topics on other threads...k?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:42 PM
osterb

The guy apologized becaused his livelehood dumped him quicker than I could dump after three servings of spicy chilly. Plain and simple. I've met people like him before. He meant what he said.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:55 PM
kanonfodder

Oh gawd I .......agree.....with......SHEEP...on this one. Someone with that much gun experience certainly had to have some bias or preconcieved notions IMO ( and Sheeps )
Old 03-08-2007, 12:59 AM
Tree Guy

Very sad about Zumbo, but as the dust settles on this thread, and we're all left licking our wounds from a mighty battle; an amusing thought entered my head: could this be the first thread 'we' haven't gotten locked down? lol! Give 'em a couple of weeks and they'll be begging us to come back! :rollin :evil
Old 03-08-2007, 08:32 AM
livelehood

Default livelehood

{The guy apologized becaused his livelehood dumped him quicker than I could dump after three servings of spicy chilly.}Only Three serving's eh!:eek

I am sure that is the only reason he apologized his livelehood is gone.Hopeing someone might feel his pain and give him a job cant imagin what a elk hunt would cost these days.Life goes on
Old 03-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Tree Guy

Default Re: livelehood

Hey nationwide, if you ever have a chance, not to bother you, but could you please enlighten us as to what it is like to have never said anything inapproiate? Have you never spoken before thinking? Have you never not regretted saying a single word in your entire life?

I grew up reading Zumbo and spent hours as a kid fantasizing about being right there with him on his many adventures. If I were to guess, most of us here have.

This man commited his life to our sport. Who here did not dream about leading the life he led? HE MADE A MISTAKE! For that one momentary lapse in judgement, a LIFETIME of working and representing hunters and sportsmen was thrown out with the trash. To suggest his apology was in order to get another job or another free elk hunt, give me a break.

Personally I think (based on the more rational posts in this thread) that his employers and sponsers missed a tremendous oportunity to have Zumbo as a moderator, and maybe highlight, educate and maybe, just maybe bring two sides of the spectrum closer together and make us all the stronger and wiser for it. It's just too damn bad they didn't. Good things could have been accomplished.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Enlighten

Default Enlighten

{Hey nationwide, if you ever have a chance, not to bother you, but could you please enlighten us as to what it is like to have never said anything inapproiate?}not in my perfect world.

{ Have you never spoken before thinking? Have you never not regretted saying a single word in your entire life?}
I have never said anything to anyone that didnt have it comeing to them .

{To suggest his apology was in order to get another job or another free elk hunt, give me a break.}

Give you a break or not i stand by my post take his apology any way you want I see clearly.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Tree Guy

Default Re: Enlighten

Huh??
Old 03-19-2007, 03:08 PM
bearbait

Default wow

so by the thoughts on this thread can i ethicly use my tikka 300 win mag tactical to hunt???should my defender not be aloud on bear hunts or fly fishing???as long as there single shot rifles and you adhere to the round count rules whats the diff???i do understand both sides but i think we are getting carryed away with this....i see alot worse problems out there then this...i drive tank truck in the oil patch in whitecourt foxcreek and swanhills and had alot of close calls with idiots shooting down roads and pointing rifles at me becouse they saw a doe on the road...why not agree to dissagree on this one and put all this energy into other problems that face hunters...fully auto rifels may not be used as it is so whats the fuss about??

rob:hat
Old 03-28-2007, 08:09 PM
osterb

Default Re: wow