Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-24-2023, 09:00 PM

Default George Gibbs 280 Ross value?

Hello, I recently purchased an old rifle not knowing what it was but I can't seem to find much info on it.

It says George Gibbs stamped on the barrel and it's chambered in .280 Ross from what I can tell. The action from what I have found seems to be a Mauser action of some sort and it looks like it should be a takedown rifle, but I have yet to attempt to disassemble it.

Just wondering if anyone here might know a bit about this rifle and the age and maybe even what it could be worth if anything?

Thanks

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-24-2023, 09:28 PM

Nice piece for sure, is it by chance a takedown??
Looks like it might be.
Got a picture of the bottom of the stock right where the joint is in front of the receiver?
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 08-24-2023 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-25-2023, 07:55 AM

Hello, thanks for the response. Here are a couple more pictures.

Old 08-25-2023, 09:27 AM

Very interesting, the joint at the front of the action has me intrigued! Not sure why it was made , i have seen it in take downs though.
My thoughts are that the scope bases were not installed on with the original build, because of the express sights and the rear peep.
If a scope was incorporated, the bases would be QD claw mounts , not the typical North American ( Weaver) types
Cat
Old 08-25-2023, 09:57 AM

Yeah I kind of figured as well that the scope bases weren't original, as well the recoil pad is also aftermarket I'm sure as it's an old pachmayr pad.

I found some pictures on google images of some westley richards as well as a couple similar looking George Gibbs rifles with a band on them that are marked as takedown rifles, that look more or less the same as mine.
Old 08-25-2023, 11:19 AM

I know nothing about it but what a beautiful, unique rifle from the time of craftsmen. Yes still some really good ones today, but that’s old school cool. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 08-25-2023, 11:47 AM

Default gibbs rifles

Gibbs is an old and highly respected name. The family run business has been working with and building guns for well over a century. That particular rifle, aside from being a take-down, has many other fine features such as the bolt peep site, and the folding blade back sites.
Check out Guns International as a quick reference for the value on a few of their builds.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:56 PM

gibbsgunmakers.com says they are in business 183 continuous years. Maybe send them your pictures and serial number. Bet they would be happy to see that old beauty hit the light of day.
Old 08-26-2023, 02:27 PM

What a fantastic find. It certainly appears to be a take-down. Be interesting to see if it is an interrupted thread for easy takedown