Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-21-2008, 09:47 PM

Default Headspace issue: Win. 94 in .30-30

I posted on Rusty P. Bucket's Winchester Commemorative rifle value thread about a very positive experience I had today with a circa 1967 Win 94 "Centennial" in .30-30.

For an account of how sweet this almost NIB commemorative shot, please go to:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...+commemorative

Only problem is that my friend's rifle probably has a headspace issue. Spent factory brass shows clear signs of stretching above the head, and the struck primers are proud of the base, so much so the empty case can barely stand. I did not measure these parameters but could if that would help you give your opinion.

- Should this be a case of too much headspace, do you know if the mid-60s 94s can have their headspace reduced, and how ?

- Is this a common occurence with 94s?

- Is it a danger if the owner only shoots factory ammo?

Last edited by twofifty; 11-21-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:43 AM

I'd double check the headspace issue with a set of quality go/no go gauges (Clymer or similar). Your friend's gunsmith should have these. If the gun closes on the no go gauge, you've got a head spacing issue. If it does not, having a chamber casting done to check chamber dimensions is worth doing.

If the head spacing is indeed an issue, then the gunsmith just needs to extend the threaded barrel stub by one turn (setting the barrel back as I believe it is called), screw the barrel in one turn, and ream out the chamber with a chamber reamer to SAAMI 30-30 specs along with checking head space.

I doubt the head spacing issue you've raised is a common occurrence with Winchester 94/1894s unless the gun was abused with heavier than normal hand loads.

This issue will also happen with hand loads in addition to factory loads. Don't do any further shooting until a gunsmith looks at this gun and pronounces it fit for shooting.