Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Nationwide

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Rights come with restrictions so if you conduct activities outside of those conditions, you would be poaching.
Well I would be guessing that statement would be open to interpretation if you asked a "white guy" that buy’s his license he might agree with you .
Then again if you asked a person that has the right to hunt without buying a license.
I am sure they would disagree that they are poaching but only hunting within there rights that were given to them.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:48 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationwide View Post
Well I would be guessing that statement would be open to interpretation if you asked a "white guy" that buy’s his license he might agree with you .
Then again if you asked a person that has the right to hunt without buying a license.
I am sure they would disagree that they are poaching but only hunting within there rights that were given to them.
The Metis rights to hunt are not without restriction and conditions.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 AM

Can someone here answer this question,

When did the Metis first come to the land now known as Alberta?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Banned

are the metis hunting rights the same as the native rights. if so i don't think there are many restrictions. even spotlighting is legal if i recall correctly
Old 06-29-2010, 11:56 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo View Post
are the metis hunting rights the same as the native rights. if so i don't think there are many restrictions. even spotlighting is legal if i recall correctly
No, they are not the same according to Powley.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Banned

with restrictions and enforcment there should be no problems. when you buy a hunting lisense, there are restrictions. and you are a poacher if you don't follow them. the saame as if you were a subsistence hunter. report everything you see and the problems should go away quickly.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:10 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
with restrictions and enforcment there should be no problems. when you buy a hunting lisense, there are restrictions. and you are a poacher if you don't follow them. the saame as if you were a subsistence hunter. report everything you see and the problems should go away quickly.
If only it were that simple. Unfortunately,Powley left a fair bit open to interpretation and it's those grey areas that are the problem.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:22 PM

They should have no rights,in this day and age and at the rate of decline in populations.I don't have problem with someone who shoots an animal to feed their family, white or metis without a license or out of season.what i do have a problem with is with metis rights everybody seems to qualify and all of a sudden its not substance hunting,but turns into trophy hunting all year long,if they want the right to hunt do it by traditional means which are horses,legs,arrows and spears not fords,chevs,or high powered rifles.There will come a day when hunting was a past time!!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 12:25 PM

Why do people keep posting that the Metis should hunt with "Traditional tools", Bows, arrows and rocks?

The very first Metis grew up with a gun. The one his French father gave him.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Why do people keep posting that the Metis should hunt with "Traditional tools", Bows, arrows and rocks?

The very first Metis grew up with a gun. The one his French father gave him.
So if they grew up with modern tools why should they get treated any different than the rest of the population?? What makes them so SPECIAL?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:42 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
So if they grew up with modern tools why should they get treated any different than the rest of the population?? What makes them so SPECIAL?
The Canadian Constitution.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
The Canadian Constitution.
So i guess i'll just go back to work pay my taxes so that my own tax dollars can support this B.S. and as they wipe out our animals i'll wait for my draw results to find out if i'm lucky enough to hunt this year in a country that i consider just as much mine as theirs!!
Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
flint, I'm really having a hard time figuring you out. It sounds like you really believe what you say. I wonder if you remember that chief who said on national radio that he would shoot the last squirrel on earth because it was his right.
Can't figure me out because I'm white and avocating the Aboriginals and Metis. I quess that we have our right to hunt in Alberta, after a long hard fight and then we talk on the other side of our faces and say that the Metis and Aboriginals cannot have their rights. Yes MattL, how many animals are extinct because of us, the white man? How much wildlands destroyed for agriculture, development, oil, forestry and the list goes on.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post
Can't figure me out because I'm white and avocating the Aboriginals and Metis. I quess that we have our right to hunt in Alberta, after a long hard fight and then we talk on the other side of our faces and say that the Metis and Aboriginals cannot have their rights. Yes MattL, how many animals are extinct because of us, the white man? How much wildlands destroyed for agriculture, development, oil, forestry and the list goes on.
And in fact who are the people who benifit from this as well,,,,,let me guess the aboriginals & the metis they are all about the enviroment and wildlife until they get their ransome money and then all is forgotten.am i right or wrong?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Metis already have the right to harvest for subsistence...Powley assures that. This court case isn't about their right to subsistence hunting, it's about where they can extend that right. I hope it does go to the supreme court and Powley is upheld and we can end this once and for all.
SheepHunter,

I agree.

Rafter
Old 06-29-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I can't answer that one. Beats me? (other than as SH said, the constitution)

People of European lineage and culture arrived and lived in Alberta before there were Metis here. From what I have been able to learn ( asking for more input from those more knowledgeable on the subject), the first Metis in Alberta were children of "white" fur trappers and local "Indians".

The main attraction for Metis immigration from the east to Alberta was the fur trade, in particular the Buffalo hide business in the early to mid 1800's. Culturally ingrained conservation ethics.... my as*.

Hunting rights is just the beginning for Metis "Special Constitutional Rights" to natural resources. If broad "rights" to fish and wildlife is successfully obtained, logging, mineral, and water rights are soon to be asked for next.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
If only it were that simple. Unfortunately,Powley left a fair bit open to interpretation and it's those grey areas that are the problem.
Sheephunter,

I agree with your comment again>

Rafter
Old 06-29-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
and as they wipe out our animals !
Would be interesting to know the extent/impact of unregulated aboriginal hunting on game populations. I certainly don't know the stats, but I wonder if the true size of the bite would influence anyone's position on either side. I wouldn't be too concerned if the take was less than, say, what non-residents take... the folks we are only too happy to welcome. I dunno...
Old 06-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Banned

leo
in your post#99 you say to give subsistence hunting to the poor and not the rich. isn't that just changing the problem not solving it. you would be giving subsistence hunting rights to a portion of the people and not others according to their income. don't know if that's equality. not saying your right or wrong. just playing devil's advocate.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:05 PM

I don't have a problem with "anybody" taking and animal if they're hungry, just don't be driving past 300 tasty looking does to shoot a trophy buck or a 45 pound mountain goat for sustanance
Old 06-29-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGO GUY View Post
This is the kind of stupid statement that makes people mad. Why should my hard earned taxes be spent fighting a BS court case.How any of you can justify that you should be allowed to kill anything at anytime and anywere is crap.You can yap about the past all you want as CANADIANS WE SHOULD ALL BE HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS.
Argo Guy,

My statement should make every one mad. It infuriates me.

You are right it is a BS court case.

However if you want to change or uphold the law it is going to cost you, its that simple.

Think about it Aboriginals tax contributions are also paying for the BS court case.

If you really think about it the only ones profiting are the elected officials and their friends. However we voted them it so I guess we can't complain too much.

Rafter
Old 06-29-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-fighter View Post
I don't have a problem with "anybody" taking and animal if they're hungry, just don't be driving past 300 tasty looking does to shoot a trophy buck or a 45 pound mountain goat for sustanance
Every one knows that a Ram tastes better than a Ewe. Everyone knows that there is more meat on a buck than a doe.

What is the definition of Trophy anyways?????
Old 06-29-2010, 01:20 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
Every one knows that a Ram tastes better than a Ewe. Everyone knows that there is more meat on a buck than a doe.

What is the definition of Trophy anyways?????
LOL...I'm guessing some of the Metis of convenience could answer your last question better than most hunters here. They seem to spend and awful lot of time and money in search of one particular animal, passing countless other in the search. Many of them subscribe to the B&C method of scoring big game animals as the definition while practicing their subsistence rights but I'm sure it's just because a higher scoring animal tastes better.......
Old 06-29-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
leo
in your post#99 you say to give subsistence hunting to the poor and not the rich. isn't that just changing the problem not solving it. you would be giving subsistence hunting rights to a portion of the people and not others according to their income. don't know if that's equality. not saying your right or wrong. just playing devil's advocate.
I'm not saying that I'm right or not, but I think even the harshest critics would have difficulty denying an animal to low income families for consumption. Give them a special permit and a time frame to harvest provided they meet criteria, and let them feed their family . Point of fact, an SRD friend of mine told me. He charged a fellow with taking a moose out of season, the farm stead looked in poor shape, there were small children running about. He did charge him for the infraction and seized the animal, but the next moose he seized he delivered cut and wrapped to the same family. We should not punish anyone for feeding their family (even though the laws state otherwise) regardless of color or heritage. That is truely denying mankind of "rights" .Just ideas that I toy with , I certainly don't expect anyone to agree with me as I am not nieve enough to think I will change anyones opinions.

Last edited by leo; 06-29-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post
I also often advocate for Aboriginal causes. But my appreciation for my friends, family, and their cultures does not blind me to the fact that they are as human as everyone else.

Spend some time learning about human influenced extinctions in North America over the last 10,000 years. Many large animals have gone extinct due to North American Aboriginal hunting.

In more recent times, Aboriginal and Metis people played as large of a role as "white" people in the near extermination of Elk, Antelope, Deer, Beaver and Bison.

All human races have a track record of over-exploiting natural resources when conditions allow it.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:59 PM

homelandsecurity.jpg
Old 06-29-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I'm proud to be white.

I am able to afford my hunting tags.

I am glad I don't have to hunt for my food. I choose to.

I work, make money and spend it as I feel I should.

I don't ask anyone for special treatment, just fair treatment.

And I'm happy.

Well said sir

As a man who easily quallifies for the blond haired metis card. I personally am very proud to have grown up with a father who quallified for native status and chose not to as he loved this country for what it has become, not what it was for some distant relative 200 years ago. Never missed one hunting season in 52 years and never once took an animal out of season or without a tag, his family chose to grow with this great country we all love. I agree with SH on this one, there are far too many convenience metis. Oh yah the other half of this hunter/fisherman is american!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:22 PM
sheephunter

Nice to hear spot and stock...most of my Metis friends echo your sentiments exactly.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I'm not saying that I'm right or not, but I think even the harshest critics would have difficulty denying an animal to low income families for consumption. Give them a special permit and a time frame to harvest provided they meet criteria, and let them feed their family . Point of fact, an SRD friend of mine told me. He charged a fellow with taking a moose out of season, the farm stead looked in poor shape, there were small children running about. He did charge him for the infraction and seized the animal, but the next moose he seized he delivered cut and wrapped to the same family. We should not punish anyone for feeding their family (even though the laws state otherwise) regardless of color or heritage. That is truely denying mankind of "rights" .Just ideas that I toy with , I certainly don't expect anyone to agree with me as I am not nieve enough to think I will change anyones opinions.
I hear what your saying leo and i don't have a problem with it. but most posters that are against the native hunting rights are calling for equality for everyone. i am not naive enough to think that that will ever happen.
one other poster wrote that he would like to know the impact of the native, metis hunting rights. i agree if there was a way to find out, it would help the courts make a decision either way.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot and stock View Post
Well said sir

As a man who easily quallifies for the blond haired metis card. I personally am very proud to have grown up with a father who quallified for native status and chose not to as he loved this country for what it has become, not what it was for some distant relative 200 years ago. Never missed one hunting season in 52 years and never once took an animal out of season or without a tag, his family chose to grow with this great country we all love. I agree with SH on this one, there are far too many convenience metis. Oh yah the other half of this hunter/fisherman is american!!!
Spot and Stock,

Do you know what the requirements are to qualifiy for a Metis card is? Just curious is all.

Thanks,
Rafter
Closed Thread