Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-23-2019, 03:09 PM

Default Broke the curse with a Blackfoot bull (long read)

As a few of you know, when it comes to elk I’ve been snake bit. After 11 empty tags with 6 heartbreaking close calls, I made a decision...this was going to be the year, whatever it takes. Every time I got down, I kept repeating that to myself...whatever it takes.

It took a lot. 6 years applying for the draw. Started scouting in 2017. 230-250 km on foot in WMU 936 this year between scouting and hunting (phone died a couple times so I don’t have an official total), 5 figures worth of gun and gear, uncountable hours in the cold, daily training, thinking, and planning. 2 pretty severe injuries (calf and back). 4 weeks solid non-stop hunting. All lead up to 3 seconds of pure maxed out adrenaline, one 208 yard off-hand shot, and one Blackfoot bull elk. Finally.

The actual shot opportunity came down to being out there and executing. Hiking from one area to the next, he walked out broadside in front of me right in a set of elk tracks I had noticed 4 days prior, and I didn’t hesitate - ELK-ANTLERS-BOOM! He stumbled and took off. I walked up looking at where I thought he was standing...no tracks...farther...no tracks...another 30 yards, found them. No blood. Damn it, heart sinks, tell myself ‘no way, I know I hit that thing’, go into the bush, just tracks no blood, you gotta be kidding me, hmmm...wobbly tracks and broken stuff. Still no blood. 10 yards later I see a tan rump on the ground. He only made it 40 yards, died so fast he didn’t even have blood in his mouth. Centered the heart.

First TTSX ever recovered, under the offside hide. His thick winter coat and my bullet taking out the pump meant blood never made it out. Bought this rifle specifically for this hunt and very glad I did. Seeing how thick these things are, and how big the terrain is, really enforces the idea of “bring enough gun” and always follow up on a shot.

Notes on the Blackfoot: it’s a big bad beautiful bitch. The opportunity to wander without worrying about property lines is awesome. That comes with some serious challenges: the distances involved, incredibly dense jungle, and seriously high competition. You need to be ready. If you have a physical walking limit, train harder, this ain’t the place for it. I walked anywhere from 7-20km a day, arriving at the trailhead hours before dawn, often staying 5-6km in till the end of shooting light and hiking out in the dark. This place will test you. Routinely had other hunters both licensed and unlicensed around which got frustrating, but no bad experiences. The CO’s were patrolling all the time and were super professional and helpful.

Gear list: Christensen Mesa 7 rm, nightforce shv 3-10, ATRS rings, Burris xtr bases, Barnes 150 gr ttsx. Firstlite layers, hanwag boots, stone glacier sky archer pack, vortex binos and AGC harness. Made some serious gear upgrades and it made the adventure a lot more comfortable.

While this was a pure solo hunt, I have to say thanks to kurt505 (lots of good posts over the years, specifically that gunwerks thread that was the inspiration for my build), Kujoseto, 300magman, IronNoggin, lyallpeder, LOSTarrow, Slicktricker and everyone else on here who has inspired and pushed me to keep after it.

Old 11-23-2019, 03:38 PM

Nice job!!!!!
Very deeply rewarding hunt isn’t it.

Maybe yer ready for the mountains now .

Your gonna be hooked on the meat!!!!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-23-2019, 04:30 PM

Some nice eating coming up for you, congrats !! Yes BF is a big area and dang those elk were scarce this year. I covered around 150 km on foot this year and my cow elk tag is un-used. Great photos and write up.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:39 PM

Congratulations!!!! Just plain awesomeness!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 11-23-2019, 05:10 PM

Congrats on your elk!

BW
Old 11-23-2019, 05:11 PM

Congrats! I love Blackfoot. Lots of fun...
Old 11-23-2019, 05:31 PM
Banned

nicely done! Congrats. What did you do to haul it out of there?
Old 11-23-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS906 View Post
Some nice eating coming up for you, congrats !! Yes BF is a big area and dang those elk were scarce this year. I covered around 150 km on foot this year and my cow elk tag is un-used. Great photos and write up.
Thanks, and yep them elk got the game figured out.

Was on them every day i went in the summer...then in September the guys with the cards and horse carts moved in (super nice guys, harvested their animals properly, nothing bad implied here)....the elk moved hard and went mostly nocturnal. Took a lot more to find them in archery season, only saw a few cows. Three cows down within site of each other on Nov 1. Hunters everywhere. Didn’t see another elk till I shot my bull.

For perspective, especially if anyone is considering this draw: My bull was the biggest one I saw in there, the only bull all season (archery and rifle), and the only elk I saw all rifle season. Three whitetail does and one little 4x4 buck. Zero moose, though I didn’t spend much time in moose winter habitat. Did my best to point moose hunters towards fresh sign but that was in very short supply as well.

Hardest hunt I’ve ever done.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
nicely done! Congrats. What did you do to haul it out of there?
Gutless method. First load out on my back (backstraps, tenderloins, brisket guessing 60 ish lbs with gear and rifle) because I heard the coyotes coming in, they weren’t being subtle. Head and legs in game bags, moved away from the carcass, and draped my sweaty shirt and socks around. That all came out in a sled. Had both sled and game cart available.

Carried 80ft of paracord for “hanging the legs up in trees” haha ya right. Deer yes, elk no. Got a lesson on how much those things weigh, not gonna happen solo, and I’m not a small guy.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:12 PM

Great job, 3Blade! Mega memories and lots of great meat.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:33 PM

Way to stick with it,
Congrats on the nice elk,
Old 11-23-2019, 06:45 PM

Great job! Very nice write up and good detail! I always like the info on rifle set up and what ammo is being used. Keep up the hard work!
Old 11-23-2019, 07:18 PM

Congratulations on a fine animal. I feel your pain. I think I have a good 15 unfilled general tags. Haha
Old 11-23-2019, 07:21 PM

If you didnt experience these challenges success would not taste so sweet. Congrates to the OP, al well earn elk.
PS , you can hunt them just like that in many zones, no draw required. Hard work and effort will pay off even in low density general zones.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 11-23-2019, 07:46 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Perseverence pays off...congrats.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-23-2019, 07:54 PM
Banned

Congrats
Old 11-23-2019, 08:35 PM

Good job congrats. For the average hunter without special permission or land that holds elk routinely I'd put them buggers right up there with the toughest animal in Alberta to fold a tag on. Incredibly tough to pattern and almost a sixth sense at knowing where to be to avoid hunters.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:04 PM

Nice work! No such thing as a small elk that’s for sure. Every single elk is an earned elk.

LC
Old 11-23-2019, 09:45 PM

Well done! I know that view from the last picture well!

I was the one who pushed the herd into those hunters who got the 3 opening day. ( that in itself is a story)

I did manage to fill my antlerless elk tag on a nice big cow about a week and a half ago. It's quite the adventure in there!
Old 11-23-2019, 11:23 PM

What intense perseverance you showed on this hunt. Another one for a inspiration board. This is cool hunting.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:14 AM

Well earned bull! You deserve that one, 936 Elk is nothing like it was 20 years ago. That's a tough hunt, great that you found success. My hats off to you!

Craig

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2019, 06:20 AM

Awesome write up and elk. Thanks for sharing and congrats.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:08 AM

“big bad beautiful bitch“, boy does that ever sum up the Blackfoot!

Good work. Glad you were able to tag one.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:29 AM

Blackfoot is a hard hunt. One of my favourite big game hunts was shooting a cow elk in there, had to put on the kms. Then the pack out solo almost killed me in -40 weather. Great job. Nice shot.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:34 PM

Great success story.
Limited time in Blackfoot so far for me and as a result didn't fill my bull moose tag. I will be out Monday looking for a Blackfoot whitetail though.
23 years of Alberta big game hunting for me and about 18 Blackfoot harvests. I love the place! It had tought me lots. It is a real gem but can be tough on the unprepared!
Old 11-24-2019, 05:42 PM

Congratulations. Just wondering - it sounds like you bright your quarters out the east day. Did you have any sign of carnivores sniffing around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 11-24-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanCretien View Post
Congratulations. Just wondering - it sounds like you bright your quarters out the east day. Did you have any sign of carnivores sniffing around?

Nope, same day, after dark. Had coyotes howling and snapping sticks in the bush before I was done the first half. They weren’t brave enough to try anything, no damage done.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:59 PM

Wow this is awesome to see!
Way to go. Cheers to getting the next one in 2020!

Old 11-25-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
Well done! I know that view from the last picture well!

I was the one who pushed the herd into those hunters who got the 3 opening day. ( that in itself is a story)

I did manage to fill my antlerless elk tag on a nice big cow about a week and a half ago. It's quite the adventure in there!

timsesink thanks for pushing the elk on nov 1st, just wish it was about 2 mins later. the 2 bulls i seen in the heard duct into the bush right before legal light. that made opening day look like a shooting gallery with the elk you pushed then more cows coming from the other direction and meeting in the middle 150-175 yrds from the shooting hill that 3blade has in his last photo. the bad part of that day was the one hunter ended up shooting 2 different cows. but he knew he did wrong and reported himself, still curious of that outcome for him.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:45 AM

Man your story makes me wish I could go a hunt like that!

It’s been a couple of years that I haven’t been able to hunt. Bad accident last spring makes pulling a trigger very painful. Shoulder was broken in half along with another 24 bones.
I have been out with my sons and I am hiking with them to pass on some of my knowledge.

This story is something that I’m going to use as motivation to pull this tag next year.

Thanks for sharing and enjoy the well deserved meats of your labor!