Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-29-2014, 09:05 AM

Default Any Info on Antelope #'s yet?

Just curious if anyone has heard of how the numbers are looking for this year, Have they done there count yet? put in for the draw and hoping the tags are the same or better than last year. Been waiting a long time for this draw... Thanks
Old 07-29-2014, 09:32 AM

Was wondering the same thing....fingers crossed.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Banned

They are right around 15000 this year. Tag numbers are going to be almost exactly the same as last year.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 AM

Aug 8th draw results are out....surveys shortly after.

LC
Old 07-29-2014, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
they flew the zones almost two weeks ago. The numbers are just over 15000 antelope. Bio stated tags will be almost the same as last year. So what are you referring to by survey shortly after?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:06 AM

He probably means that after the draws are done, the draw summary will be put on-line showing how many people applied in what zone and what priority was needed to get drawn.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian sensation View Post
He probably means that after the draws are done, the draw summary will be put on-line showing how many people applied in what zone and what priority was needed to get drawn.
Exactly...survey "results" will be published after the draws like I stated...Resident Guide sure enjoys mixing it up, reminds me of Rhino81

LC
Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Exactly...survey "results" will be published after the draws like I stated...Resident Guide sure enjoys mixing it up, reminds me of Rhino81

LC
sorry was not sure what you were talking about "survey" does not mean results.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:

LC
What do you mean by "shortly after"?

Have the survey results from 2013 been released yet?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-29-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
What do you mean by "shortly after"?

Have the survey results from 2013 been released yet?
To clarify for all the sticklers...I mean the draw results/stats.

LC
Old 07-29-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residentguide View Post
they flew the zones almost two weeks ago. The numbers are just over 15000 antelope. Bio stated tags will be almost the same as last year. So what are you referring to by survey shortly after?
If this is correct, Residents are once again receiving about half of the licences that should be issued.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
If this is correct, Residents are once again receiving about half of the licences that should be issued.
And that aint a bad thing.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 07-29-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
And that aint a bad thing.
Yup, lots of people are happy whenever sustainable hunting opportunities are taken away.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
i find it funny how in two threads all you want is to shoot up the country side and kill half our herds. According to you we are getting half the tags but the new biologists in this province want more antelope than before. The previous goal was 17000 and new is 20000. So in the instance we are lucky to even have a tag. I totally disagree with shooting the amount of tags that use to be given out in Alberta. Last year numbers IMO were way to high in two of the zones and good in others. I for one hate hunting antelope in Alberta in the past cause every antelope you try to get five others try and screw you up to try and get a crack for them selves. I would rather wait 20 years and have a good hunt were I see more animals than hunters and have a quality hunt. If I was looking for a trophy antelope I sure would not hunt Alberta. Way bigger goats in the USA with wait times of 2 years for unreal tags.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yup, lots of people are happy whenever sustainable hunting opportunities are taken away.
For the better of our herds. Yes as our herds all need help cause we have abused them for many years.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:14 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...
I think the comment about half the tags for residents is in reference to the other half being given to Outfitters.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
I think the comment about half the tags for residents is in reference to the other half being given to Outfitters.
No that is not what he is talking about. Outfitters don't have that many tags. WB wants to give absorbent amount of tags for every animal in this province. If Alberta's wildlife was managed by him everything would be a general tag and probably give you two tags so you get more opportunity.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
No that is not what he is talking about. Outfitters don't have that many tags. WB wants to give absorbent amount of tags for every animal in this province. If Alberta's wildlife was managed by him everything would be a general tag and probably give you two tags so you get more opportunity.
I believe he is suggesting that if we didn't manage for trophies there would be more opportunity for everybody.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
No, I am commenting on the current ratio of Resident licences issued/population compared to the long term average and in compliance with the Pronghorn Antelope Management Plan.

With a surveyed population of 15.000 Pronghorns, Residents should be receiving around 1,300 Trophy (1,040) and Archery licences(260). At an 80%success ratio this works out to an Allowable Harvest of 7% of the population.

Harvesting bucks at this level does not impact population growth, population growth management is accomplished through the issuing of NT Licences.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I believe he is suggesting that if we didn't manage for trophies there would be more opportunity for everybody.
Lolol. Ok, sure! When you dont know what your talkin about, you really dont have a sniff at all eh!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 07-29-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Not in this case.

There was nothing wrong with the availability of "Trophy" pronghorns at long term average licence/population ratios. Some of the best Pronghorn Trophy producing years had even higher licence ratios than the long term average.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Not in this case.

There was nothing wrong with the availability of "Trophy" pronghorns at long term average licence/population ratios. Some of the best Pronghorn Trophy producing years had even higher licence ratios than the long term average.
Wonder why that is WB? Lol couldnt be more guys in the field meaning more big antelope are found lol . Try finding one post herd decimation lolol. Wow

Keep a strain on er
Old 07-29-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
They are right around 15000 this year. Tag numbers are going to be almost exactly the same as last year.
Thank you this is exactly what i was looking for!
Old 07-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
. Try finding one post herd decimation lolol. Wow
Hmmmm wasn't there a new provincial record killed last year? I'm sure if you had a sniff you would have heard about it. Maybe you are just too marginal to be in the loop on current events .
Old 07-29-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual observer View Post
Hmmmm wasn't there a new provincial record killed last year? I'm sure if you had a sniff you would have heard about it. Maybe you are just too marginal to be in the loop on current events .
There certainly was

My observations are the trophy quality is good if not as good as I have ever seen it in these parts... Less pressure as limited opportunities the past couple seasons...

Pretty sure there will be some sweet speeders being tipped over this year.. Best of luck to all and hope I can send some stainless in their direction this fall..
Old 07-29-2014, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
There certainly was

My observations are the trophy quality is good if not as good as I have ever seen it in these parts... Less pressure as limited opportunities the past couple seasons...

Pretty sure there will be some sweet speeders being tipped over this year.. Best of luck to all and hope I can send some stainless in their direction this fall..
I fish not so much of a hunter, but a friend of mine (and yours) told me that this year would not be good. He was advising the guys he knows to skip this year based on the 2010 winter. Knowing that antelope seem to grow their best horns at age 4, he reasoned that big antelope would be scarce this year as there was near zero for fawns in spring 2010. Of course a few will have made it and a couple of them should be ok for size but overall his theory said this would be a very poor year for trophies. Guess time will tell.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual observer View Post
HahaHA! Well quite obviously, everything you do is, on the casual side of things! Leave discussion for those that know what they are talking about! Oh hey, congratulations, you just filled everyone here in on all u know about antelope lol, ya he is quite an antelope aint he! Now go away lolol

Keep a strain on er
Old 07-29-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Not in this case.

Is managing for trophy quality only a good thing when it suits you? I'm just not in the "enough little ones for everyone" crowd.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-30-2014, 07:37 AM

I went for a half day scouting trip on Sat. and I seen about 40 off the main grids. Good numbers but certainly not great numbers.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:01 AM

Packhuntr, do you guide for Franklin or Burton??

Sledhead, hope you have a great hunt and shoot a hog !

I will be down there next year.