Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 PM

Default Guided Dove Hunts? Argentina, Texas?

Hey All,
My father and I are thinking of doing a dove hunt this coming year. Would like some advise on outfitters either in South America or Texas. What would you suggest?

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 PM

If you want some good deals go on Accurate reloading and look in the offered hunts section. Look up a guy posting a bunch named Juan Pozzi I think it is. He offers good prices and a lot of guys have hunted with him and done well.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:12 PM

Default Doves

Yea Juan seems to be quite well respected and one of the AO members has hunted with him a.few times.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Banned

Default doves

By choosing between South America and Texas, you are comparing two very differently priced hunts as well as overall experience based on bird volume. Pretty sure the S America hunt would be 4-5 times more expensive than a Texas trip. Would suggest Cordoba province in Argentina, you can do pigeon and doves in Paraguay and it's awesome. There is some great shooting in Uraguay as well, it will definetely help if the outfitter has access to the dove roost and if it is a large one then start saving now for your Ammo bill!!! Most places are charging $12.50-18.00 per 25 round box of target loads. I went through 950 rounds in about 2.5 hours one day, save up. Check out Trek Safaris International, they have several contacts and deals in the works in South and Central America. If you need some contact info I can pass on the names of who we dealt with. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:39 PM

Default Dove hunting

I have been to Argentina three times, all with J J Caciera near Cordoba, Argentina. He gives great value for your dollar and you will enjoy the whole experience, not just the shooting. we shot pigeons as well as doves on each trip---they are not as abundant as doves and charge somewhat more per day and limit you to about 200 or so per day. There is no limit on doves, you can shoot until your pocketbook or shoulder gives out.
Bill
Old 08-01-2014, 03:54 PM

Default Doves & Other Birds - South Africa

Hi there,

I just got back a few weeks ago from bird hunting in South Africa. It's a bit of a trek to get over there, but the bird hunting was incredible. There is excellent dove hunting there, as well as some other great gamebirds, including Guinea Fowl which are a riot to shoot! It's basically like rooster pheasants that flock up. Fast flying, noisy, and just a great gamebird overall.

We did some dove hunting there a couple of afternoons, and it was late June which is the end of their bigger flights of birds. "Slow season" and we each shot a case of shells in 2 hours - every single day. I shot 100 doves myself one afternoon, and it was a great time. During April and May in their peak season, they will typically shoot about 3 cases of shells per guy per day.

Here are a couple of pictures. I'm going to put up a proper post about the whole trip one of these days when I have time. The goose hunting and Guineas were my favorite.

The guide was Pringles Legendary Safaris who is also a new AO sponsor. I would definitely recommend checking them out and I'll be heading back there again in the (hopefully) very near future! The nice thing about Africa too is that it's a bit of an adventure and you can add on some cheap plains game or do some site seeing for game to mix it up a bit. Not sure if that's too far for you to travel, but it was a great trip and I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves bird hunting.

Here are a couple pics of the doves and guineas...

Have a good trip wherever you go!
Old 08-01-2014, 03:59 PM

Default Dove & Guinea Fowl Photos...

Photos didn't load up. Let's try this again...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100 Doves.jpg (78.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Guinea Fowl Tailgate Shot.jpg (79.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Guineas Mark.jpg (76.3 KB, 26 views)