Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-24-2018, 04:37 AM

when he pulled up, i had just finished emptying the 25 round magazine out of my 10/22. he opened the door of his truck about 50yds away, unholstered his sidearm while still standing behind his truck, and then he yelled at me to clear the firearm and set it on the ground. I of course complied by taking the mag out, opening and locking back the bolt and setting it down.

once i set it down he holstered his sidearm and walked up to me and said i could grab the 10/22 as he could see it was indeed unloaded.

i did run into him again later on at the same gravel pit while i was shooting some other rifles and he just checked out what we were shooting and drove away.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosman177 View Post
I had a high school friend who didn’t have a pal over 10 years ago get in trouble for possession of a prohibited weapon get a conditional discharge and 10 year weapons ban. I think the laws on prohibited weapons minimums have changed since than.

He had a sawed off 22 rifle he bought for $20 off a pot dealer. He had it for a few weeks was going to live in the bush for a few weeks and use to shoot small game. That never happened and he was having suicidal thoughts and brought it in the police station to surrender it. They ended up charging him.

I’ve worked with other people who had been charged with assault also have 10 year bans.
WOW....great job police,pile on the misery to an already suicidal young man.Thats almost(or even more?) rediculous then that guy in Swan Hills that saved his own life while bowhunting when he emptied his pistol into the grizzly that mauled him 3/4 to death,then gets airlifted to intensive care in EDM where the great protectors of public safety charge him with having his pistol out in the woods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Abelard View Post
You'd think the guy would get a break for acting in good faith.

20 years ago I went to the cop shop to pay an outstanding Ctrain fine. It was outstanding, and there was a warrant, so they cuffed me, and put me through the whole deal, instead of just letting me pay it.

Remember, the police are your friends.
Been there too.......coming home to CGY from a 3 week hitch up north I passed a Sherrif at the on ramp near Innisfail who musta ran my plate....5 minutes later I see blue lights behind me on Antler Hill so I move over to let him pass...and he moves over.....WTF,I wasn't speeding??
So turns out I had an outstanding $115 fine for drunk walking from 2 years prior(at least I didn't drive home from local pub right?).
I had less then $20 cash on me but over 5 figures in bank account,he had me arrested in back seat of cruiser,was gonna tow my truck,would not follow me to the top of hill in Bowden to an ATM.....finally 45 minutes later I had a new court date/deadline extension a month later to pay the $115 which I would have paid 45 minutes ago if he would just followed me(wouldn't drive me up hill neither/said I can't leave my truck safely parked off shoulder it would be towed)
What a Rick!! .....and cops wonder why the public doesn't trust them?

As for the OP.....yes,I've also had guns seized for no PAL.....twice.....both times in NB/both times no charges/both times I had a friend with valid PAL register the firearms to themselves and pick them up at cop shop.
FWIW,I refused to comply with the registry during its entire failed existence and only got my PAL after Harper abolished the registry and my young pre-teen son was coming of age to hunt and I didn't want any hassles with him along with me hunting.Other then that been hunting/shooting/trapping/possessing firearms since late 70's.....I did actually obtain an FAC mid-80's when I wanted to buy a cpl new "store-bought" rifles and shotgun.
Over 40 years hunting and a cpl dozen stops by COs/Game Wardens in 3 different provinces I've never once had a provincial Wildlife Officer ask me for PAL,only RCMP.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:39 AM

We were shooting some rounds off at a friends acreage somebody reported a war going on and two RCMP cruisers showed up, one of the members came over to talk to us the other was standing outside his cruiser with a "carbine". When the first LEO saw two old guys with lever actions he sort of laughed and asked do you guys have PALS ? I reached to show mine he said never mind have a good day and they drove off. I can't blame them for being cautious these days.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post

I had less then $20 cash on me but over 5 figures in bank account,he had me arrested in back seat of cruiser,was gonna tow my truck,would not follow me to the top of hill in Bowden to an ATM.....finally 45 minutes later I had a new court date/deadline extension a month later to pay the $115 which I would have paid 45 minutes ago if he would just followed me(wouldn't drive me up hill neither/said I can't leave my truck safely parked off shoulder it would be towed)
What a Rick!! .....and cops wonder why the public doesn't trust them?
The police and sheriffs are not cashiers, they do not accept payment from people who didn’t make their various fine payments through the proper channels. Just so you know, you’re criticizing people for doing their job correctly, which is highly ironic. You were asking them to do their job incorrectly and to expose themselves to a possible bribery or embezzlement accusation, but of course it’s OK to expect them to do this for your convenience
Old 06-24-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The police and sheriffs are not cashiers, they do not accept payment from people who didn’t make their various fine payments through the proper channels. Just so you know, you’re criticizing people for doing their job correctly, which is highly ironic. You were asking them to do their job incorrectly and to expose themselves to a possible bribery or embezzlement accusation, but of course it’s OK to expect them to do this for your convenience
Ummmmm....nooooo......as I remember it,he would have accepted cash payment on the spot but said he could not release me from custody to follow me 2 minutes to the ATM,and would not drive me to ATM and leave my truck safely parked off shoulder without calling a tow truck.Geez,I'd hate to break down there and come back with a $5 rad hose to find my truck towed away. 🙄
Musta been a really slow day for crime in Red Deer county when he thinks I'm gonna flee over $115 fine with $20k in my chequing account.....yea that's me,public enemy #1. 🙄
Lesson learned.....next time that I get hammered at local pub on a Saturday night,instead of doing the responsible thing and walking 4 blocks home I should probly just drive my truck to get home safely in 45 seconds and avoid the nuisance $115 fine for public intoxication.

Last edited by West O'5; 06-24-2018 at 12:03 PM.