Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-29-2014, 08:12 PM

Default Dog training videos

Picking up my new hunting partner Friday
I have a chocolate lab and looking for training for pups until he's old enough to go to school
Looking for waterfowl training related
Thanks for any input
Old 07-29-2014, 09:02 PM

Smile

highly recommend Bill Hillmann training a retriever puppy. Takes you through puppyhood day by day actually. Cant speak enough good things about it, if you start off right, when it comes to training, wayyyyyy easier and getting into the right habits and bringing out his potential.

When he is 6 months old, then you can actually pick a program such as Lardy or Evan Graham and there are others out there. For experienced hard to beat Lardy period. For someone new, Graham does a much better dog in showing what you will experience as you go through basics such as obedience, force fetch and retrieving. he doesn't work with polished dogs and the key to training dogs besides the hardest being the owners LOL, is knowing how to overcome obstacles to actually teach the dog.

big congrats with your new pal, exciting times ahead, nothing like puppy breath
Old 07-29-2014, 11:00 PM

I didn't like the Evan Graham videos personally and would look elsewhere.

Haven't watched the Lardy videos as the Graham videos took too much of my training budget.

As far as beginner training, I liked the way Dan Hosford shows his videos, where he does the command/training, then has client do it and shows where he screwed up and how to clean it up. He only has a heel series on youtube, I found it helped me get perfection. It would be nice to have a training series ran in that fashion.
In the Graham videos one of the many things that bugged me was the dog appeared to know the next force fetch step before I did.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:10 AM
Banned

Default training videos

The Lardy videos are pretty advance, even for puppy stage stuff. A lot of the stuff that you will run into that rerails your plans will not be covered in them. I have them, so I am not going by what I heard. To cover all of your bases and show you how to handle the stuff your dog will do or not do, there aren't any better than that Hosford ones. They are long, and for a reason. Some people think that you can force fetch in a couple of days, good luck. This stuff is very thorough, and if you are doing a lot of training by yourself and are not part of a club or group of experienced trainers, they will be the best ones for you in the end. I think he had a website where you could order the ones that he has produced so far, I know he had plans for a 9 part series, not sure how far along he has gotten, I am pretty sure there are 3 or 4? Many guys who have been around dogs and retriever training for a long time have said there isn't anyone better with young dogs, he has had success. He is not a field trialer and for those that buy most videos made by pro field trial trainers, it will not go as the video has layed out for your, I gaurantee that much. Best of luck, enjoy the pup.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:06 AM

Check out Bill Hillmann's stuff.

http://www.hawkeyemedia.net

His puppy video is great. But he also has DVDs dedicated to land and water fundamentals plus teaching the fetch command. I haven't seen the fundamental videos, but I have heard lots of good things.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:54 AM

Retriever Training Basics with Danny Farmer and Judy Aycock. Great video!!
Old 07-30-2014, 06:14 PM

Default Thanks for all info

Than for all info hoping to put him to work next season