Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-12-2008, 10:15 AM

Default APA Innovations

Looking at getting a new bow and was wondering if anyone here has had a chance to shoot the APA bows? Any comments good, bad or otherwise?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:48 AM

Default APA Bows

I shot the new '08 line-up a couple of weeks ago. They all shot very well. You'll have to try them yourself to see if you like them or not. Everyone has their own preference on what they consider the best for themselves.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:58 AM

I shot the whole lineup a few weeks ago and their bow shoots nice and can be compared to any of the other brands out there.

For my preference I would use the Viper for hunting. very nice smooth short, quick bow. For 3D/target I would take the Black Mamba XL.

You won't go wrong purchasing one.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Looking at getting a new bow and was wondering if anyone here has had a chance to shoot the APA bows? Any comments good, bad or otherwise?
Where abouts you at John?

I have a Mamba X2 and Mamba XL here plus a friend has a viper, X1, Suphan, Anaconda

They all shoot very well, If you are close by or going to a shoot that I am going to be at you are more than welcome to try mine or my buddies bows if they are there.

You will find the bows to be well made and they look sharp. The customer service is second to none, if you have a problem the boys at the shop will look after you first and foremost. Plus they are canadian made and they stand behind the product 100%

APA will be at the mother of all shoots and they will have every model available to try there. If you are there find me wearing a white APA staff shooter shirt with Travis on the left sleeve and I will more than be happy to take you over and try them out.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post

APA will be at the mother of all shoots and they will have every model available to try there. If you are there find me wearing a white APA staff shooter shirt with Travis on the left sleeve and I will more than be happy to take you over and try them out.
Is there any where i could try them in Lethbridge or Calgary?

Alberta Resident Hunters for Justice
http://www.arhj.org
Old 02-19-2008, 09:27 PM

You can see and try the APA line at the Calgary Archery Center I think they have almost the entire line instock.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnCynergy 12 ga View Post
Is there any where i could try them in Lethbridge or Calgary?
they will also be in lethbridge for the national 3D championships on easter long weekend
Old 02-20-2008, 11:28 PM

this is the only company i would ever put down

but they r overpriced twitchy bows with a way too long power stroke

and as for customer service being second to none....only if there were no other bow shops on the planet i have personally delt with this al guy and never again he is more worrid about his advertising and hi staff shooter the a regular customers avter i dealt with him i came to the only conclusion i could he is a self promoting crook ....
the r lots of other high end bows made by more reputable companies out there and i would recomend using any of then other then apa
Old 02-22-2008, 10:34 AM

I have tested the following in the last month, my criteria are fast (315+ IBO), 7"+ brace height and quality components.

Bowtech Allegiance
Bowtech Guardian
Diamond Marquis
PSE XForce Dream Season
Hoyt Katterra
APA Black Mamba X2

On fit and feel and draw stroke and other subjective areas I have narrowed it down to the Allegiance or X2. The others were all nice with the excepton of the Guardian which didn't feel right to me. All Bows were in the $750-850 range. Still not sure which one I am going to get, I did a back to back comparison on the X2 and Allegiance and could not tell any real difference so it comes down to price, speed, looks, options and branding. The X2 is faster, has the tool center and I would be supporting a Canadian company which is somewhat important to me. The Bowtech is cheaper by about $100, and I like the camo patterns more. Both bows are almost identical dimensionally, probably can't go wrong with either.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandslamer View Post
way too long power stroke
Only crossbows are modelled with specific power stroke lengths. The power stroke is measured from where the string lies at rest to the point of full draw. This is a constant on a crossbow. The point of full draw changes with each archer on trad/compound bows. So I have to ask, what do you mean? 'Cause a long power stroke with a reasonable (7"+) BH is good. My DL is 30", provides for a longish power stroke and that is a plus not a minus. I suspect that you are referring to bows with short BH's like the APA Black Mamba X1 with a very low BH of 5.5". The X2's BH is over 7"............Every bow with a BH of 7" is going to have exactly the same power stroke in the hands of the same archer.

I like the carry handles on the APA bows. The tool stuff doesn't do anything for me though.

Hey Canuck44.................lol. Of all those bows I took the Guardian. Everbody's different eh?
Old 02-22-2008, 12:58 PM

I too took the guardian because I liked the feel of it, the grip and the way it points and the lack of movement after the release.

However there are those that just don't like it and can't shoot it and they just love the allegiance or equivalent bow.