Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-28-2018, 04:19 PM

Default Great news from ASF!!

Fantastic news for Atlantics!!.....Greenland signs on to 12 year Commercial Fishing moratorium of Atlantic Salmon.

http://asf.ca/asf-and-nasf-sign-12-y...eenland-f.html

May be a bit premature to get too excited,but WOW,it would amazing to be able to restore so many of the incredible East Coast rivers to their former glory of playing host and home to The Sport of Kings!!
Atlantics don't die after spawning like their Pacific cousins,and Multi Sea Winter(MSW) fish have been recorded as returning to spawn in their natal streams for as many as 7 years in some instances.At sea mortality has been the plague of east coast Atlantic Salmon conservation efforts for decades,with the Greenland Commercial fishery being of considerable concern.

Again,I may be jumping the gun here,but for Atlantic Salmon anglers this is huge and exciting news.We anglers have faced ever more strict regs and conservation efforts in the Maritimes since as long as I can remember....from 2 fish/day limit in the 70s to 16 tags/year early 80s...then 8 adult/8 grilse tags....then 8 grilse only tags(grilse are young one sea winter returnees/mostly males and max 25").....to ZERO retention since 2016....all the while stocks keep declining from at sea Commercial harvest and a blatant in your face black market.

Regardless,I am STOKED!!
I haven't been back home nor spent a single night in Dad's Salmon camp on NB's once world famous Miramichi R. for almost 4 years now,and had all but given up any hope for this once incredible fishery.A bit late to realize any results or for me to make plans for this summer,but I'm already making plans and daydreaming of hooking into a 25lb chromer in July 2019,and hopefully for many more years to come!! 🤗

Last edited by lilsundance; 05-28-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:47 PM

That's great news. Caught my last salmon on the North branch of the southwest Miramichi in 1981. Even back then people were talking about the Greenland commercial over fishing destroying the fishery. I just hope they can enforce it and keep the foreign nets out.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
That's great news. Caught my last salmon on the North branch of the southwest Miramichi in 1981. Even back then people were talking about the Greenland commercial over fishing destroying the fishery. I just hope they can enforce it and keep the foreign nets out.
Yes,I've wondered about that as well,ie;so Greenland is on board but what about Russians,Japanese and everybody else hammering on them as the salmon run the gauntlet of International Waters between Greenland and Canada?🤔

Then there's still bycatch of Atlantics from other fisheries targeting other species.Fish draggers that catch non-target species for which they have no quota pretty much just get dumped them at sea.....SSS rule.......and Greenland is home to enourmous shrimping industry,coincidentally shrimp is Atlantic Salmon's primary prey/food source at sea,its why they migrate to Greenland to begin with.....I wonder how many Salmon get caught in shrimp draggers?

Anyway,it's a huge step in the right direction....and Dad has been grumbling about selling the camp on the 'chi for a few years now with declining stocks and zero retention(he's old school Hook n Cook,..NOT really C&R so much lol),might have to talk him out of it or buy it myself??
Old 06-02-2018, 06:02 AM

Hey West O'5 thanks for posting the update. That is interesting indeed. Let's hope the idea catches on to the Pacific as well

I didn't know about atlantics can return to spawn. I'm really as East coast newb. I'll learn some more about them and might have to plan a trip myself.

Best of luck on your up coming trip and getting that trophy!
Old 06-02-2018, 08:03 AM

If you're serious about planning a trip for Atlantics,I'd take a good hard look at Labrador,or possibly NFLD northern peninsula for a bit more budget friendly trip.
Labrador has been on my bucket list for a long time,the Pinware R is more accessible,but Eagle R. is a fly-in only lodge and arguably the best remaining Atlantic Salmon river in North America.

Oh and big thx to lil'sundance for editing my original post to a more PC version regarding the "in your face black market" in NB,would hate to offend anybody with the truth. 🙄