Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-17-2014, 09:37 AM

I spent lots of time as a child walking with a Stoney plains Native guy who would bend and break tree limbs and boughs with his fingers while he walked, he would only break them with his right hand. He would follow them back on his left side. I find my self using this method on a regular basis. I was wondering if you could do this on a larger scale to mark sets? Larger trees cut and bent marking the direction of the set, obvious man made cuts to not confuse with blow down.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:24 PM

I see your issue Nube , that area can be very busy with hunters in the fall , anything flagging wise will be looked at by at least a few guys ! Not sure how early you'll start , but after dec 1 I think you'd have 98% less traffic in the bush there ! IMO GPS is definitely the way to go ! Good luck
Old 06-17-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
I see your issue Nube , that area can be very busy with hunters in the fall , anything flagging wise will be looked at by at least a few guys ! Not sure how early you'll start , but after dec 1 I think you'd have 98% less traffic in the bush there ! IMO GPS is definitely the way to go ! Good luck
You may think gps is the way to go but you will soon learn that it just won't work wait until it is -30 out they are slow turning off and on take a pile of your time, your working with 7 hours of daylight you will put it away and hang some ribbon
Old 06-24-2014, 09:39 AM

Yes, I guess flagging is the way to go for speed and all trappers use it.

In the case of wolf trapping... I'm not sold on it.

Sure, the woods are full of flagging for trails, logging etc, and you all know of a 50 a year wolfer that uses the stuff.

But I believe that a dangling flag, COMBINED WITH other subtle clues that only a wolf notices, can reduce your success.

To me this falls in the same catagory as boiling "rubber" (hydrocarbon) gloves and then wondering why wolves shy around your sets.