Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-03-2017, 02:04 PM

Default Perch lakes around Lac la Biche

Does anyone know of any accessible Perch lakes around the Lac la Biche area? We do have ATV and sleds. Any information would be appreciated
New to the area

Thanks
Old 12-03-2017, 03:11 PM

Good luck... people around here dont give up perch. Take your quads and skidoo's and go explore.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:29 PM

North Buck Lake has some nice perch.

Not a lot of perch in the lake to be honest, but when you get one it's usually a hump-back. Good luck finding where they are, it will be easier because you fellows have ATVs. Ice gets a little sketchy in the narrows of the north east, there must be a spring somewhere back in there.

Some old timer I talked too swore he caught a whitefish out of North Buck a few years ago but I would have to see it to believe it.

Lots of pike in the lake as well, some nice sized ones if you go deeper.

Hope this helps, tight lines!

PS: Beaver lake has some decent perch as well. Try the general area of the bay where the outlet is (beaver river?).

Last edited by NSR Fisher; 12-03-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:29 PM

Default Lac La biche itself!!!

Used to be off the causeway to the PP.

Or, if you want to do some prospecting, can you see if the Perch ever recovered at Missawawi?

You could try Amisk, some there. Skeleton, Hope, Beaver, or go up Conklin way and try up around there.

I have caught some at Pinehurst as well.

Actually, there are a lot of good perch lakes other than the usual ones in Lakeland PP to try. Its just time and effort.

Drewski
Old 12-06-2017, 06:08 PM

Default Perch

Just have to find them. Many lakes around that area have some.

Lots of drilling, moving spots and searching. Try different lures, bait and depths.

Long lake by Boyle use to be good, but getting harder to find the big guys.

Good Luck in the hunt.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:36 PM

When i was married and spent many weekends up.on Northbuck lake at the fatherinlaws place.... there was a tonne of nice perch.

Whitefish? Yes. I had the privilege of pulling quite a few nets and yes.. there are whites.. and tanks. At least 15 years ago haha. Ive fished many times since. The only whites ive handlined was by perch point off the road past the prov park turnoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post

Not a lot of perch in the lake to be honest, but when you get one it's usually a hump-back. Good luck finding where they are, it will be easier because you fellows have ATVs. Ice gets a little sketchy in the narrows of the north east, there must be a spring somewhere back in there.

Some old timer I talked too swore he caught a whitefish out of North Buck a few years ago but I would have to see it to believe it.

PS: Beaver lake has some decent perch as well. Try the general area of the bay where the outlet is (beaver river?).
Old 12-14-2017, 02:04 PM

Blackett. They are fussy. Good luck.

Mad
Old 12-14-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Fisheries Biologist told me this week that North Buck winter killed last year and the water levels have dropped severely as well. It’s in a down cycle now
Old 12-14-2017, 05:43 PM

Wow haha, not surprised by the low water but winterkill is news to me.

I'm heading up that way this weekend so I'll report how it is...if its as bad as you say we might end up on La Biche instead I guess!
Old 12-14-2017, 05:51 PM

By the way, did they by chance say how thick the ice was?
Old 12-15-2017, 11:02 AM

No she didn’t but I would imagine plenty for walking on or quad/sled around shoreline. Not sure I’d be going off across the middle yet. She didn’t say it was a partial, just that it had winter killed last season so will need recovery time. Too bad used to be a pretty good luck but hopefully it will make a come back in time. Let me know how you do. I went there last winter drilled dozens of holes all around the lake and only saw one handle on the camera. Now I know why....
Old 12-17-2017, 07:52 PM

Update:

Just got back from the lake. North Buck is far from winter killed. I will post pics soon :-)

No luck with landing the perch but we were marking lots of them and getting bites. Their takes were so subtle we just couldn't get a good hook set. You could feel their little taps though and buddies flasher was going nuts, marks all over the place.

The pike were hot and heavy during the afternoon as well, ended up with some keepers. We had ourselves a nice little tailgate fish fry.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Update:

Just got back from the lake. North Buck is far from winter killed. I will post pics soon :-)

No luck with landing the perch but we were marking lots of them and getting bites. Their takes were so subtle we just couldn't get a good hook set. You could feel their little taps though and buddies flasher was going nuts, marks all over the place.

The pike were hot and heavy during the afternoon as well, ended up with some keepers. We had ourselves a nice little tailgate fish fry.
Good work! I'm looking forwards to the pics.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:01 PM

How were ice conditions there? Did you just walk on from the campground? Good to hear it was only a partial winterkill then. There’s hope
Old 12-18-2017, 08:23 PM

We walked on near soft winds village just past the Provincial park.

There were plenty of tire tracks from what I assume were quads.

Ice was about 12" thick, very clear, kinda spooky seeing the profiles of the pressure cracks.

We were fishing in 10 to 17 feet of water. Moved around a bit in that bay. Water was quite cloudy, maybe only 5 feet of visibility before your hook disappeared.

There were tons of marks near bottom on buddies marcum. Using a really small jigging spoon and even a small tungsten jig I could feel little taps from what i assume were some small perch but I just couldn't stick a hook in one for the life of me.

Caught my pike on a jigging rap and a few more on a jig and minnow. No hits on the tip ups, which was weird. Was using jumbo anchovies on the tip ups so maybe smelts might work. If you try let me know how it goes.

Last edited by NSR Fisher; 12-18-2017 at 08:42 PM.