Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2010, 08:52 PM

Default !!!Strange encounter with coyote!!!

Hello everyone!

The other day my grandfather was out running the old honey wagon and saw a coyote out side of my yard. Now I was at work . he disposed of the sewage and on the return trip noticed the coyote hadn't gone far or shied at his pressence in this loud dasterly truck. So with a bit of curiosity and stupidity he decided to take a closer look. He shut the truck off and got out approx 100yds away from the coyote. Now understand there is serious bush around my place I live at a lake year round. the coyote didnt as much as look into the bush he just sat there with out any aggression. Being odd behavior for a coyote . he thought either this coyote is hurt or rabid. Gramps reached into the truck and grabbed a 3 foot cheater bar he had roaming around in the cab and started towards the coyote at a slow but steady pace meanwhile talking to it. He got to within 5 steps before the coyote even looked at him. then the mood switched to aggressive. with a quick blow to the head the coyote succumed to its injuries. After I returned Home from work, my grandfather came by with this outrageous story about this damn coyote which I found a little hard to believe at first until I seen the evidence of the coyote later that evening. After a thorough examination of the spine and legs and hips I believe this animal was fairly healthy! certainly was not injured!

Am I the only one who finds this strange? Is there anybody else out there who has had similiar occurences with coyotes? Is this lack of fear to Humans caused by over population or hungar?

Please share if you have a story that relates to this. Even if it is a strange encounter with another wild animal, Please share!

Thanks
Linton Weikle

Am I the only 1
Old 01-22-2010, 09:00 PM

Yes strange but probably not the smartest thing he could have done maybe a little lucky he never got bitten
g
Old 01-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Banned

I would like to think that this critter was taken to the F&W people and let them determine the state of health of it. They may also be able to shed more lite on it's behavior..
Old 01-22-2010, 09:06 PM

we were out elk hunting around Debolt - in the evening the four of us were sitting around the campfire, cooking sausage and talking. A coyote walked about 12ft from us..stood and looked at us then walked around us...really saw no fear, and he looked healthy. It was really quite odd...Unfortunately for him, a well placed 270 rd ended his adventure.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:08 PM

Wow thats messed up, something has to be wrong with that coyote.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LintonWeikle View Post
Hello everyone!

Am I the only one who finds this strange? Is there anybody else out there who has had similiar occurences with coyotes? Is this lack of fear to Humans caused by over population or hungar?

Please share if you have a story that relates to this. Even if it is a strange encounter with another wild animal, Please share!

Thanks
Linton Weikle

Am I the only 1
10 feet from a healthy coyote that I shot a few weeks ago. Just stood there looking at me.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:09 PM

Yes we are taking him in this weekend!

Thanks
Linton
Old 01-22-2010, 09:12 PM

this behaviour is unreal! I wont let my kids go out side without Momma or me sitting point with the ole buckshot Loaded!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:13 PM

Linton, if I were you I would get that coyote head to a lab that can test it for rabies!
Cat
Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 PM

Hunger or tolerance of humans due to being fed.

In 2001 we had a very meagre snow level in winter (hard on rodents) and very dry spring with low temps in this area (very little new growth.)

That year in april - june we had coyotes trying to eat out of the dog dish in the day as opposed to night time and eating chop/spilled grain by the cattle feeders in the day as well.

When approached you could usually get within 10 yards or so before they would double the distance then sit and watch you.

Have never seen that behavior before or since.

None showed mange or any sighns of sickness or injury.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 PM

is anyone missing thier dog lol?? that is crazy
Old 01-22-2010, 09:41 PM

maybe the animal was poisoned?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:05 PM

No mange on this critter either. only thing I can think of is he was young, not likely over 2 yrs old! but in the wild you would think that an eternity! I cant see them being hungry because we have rabbits like i've never seen!
Old 01-22-2010, 10:10 PM

well gramps has seen his fair share of rabies and doesnt think that it was rabid now that we had a closer look. I was thinking that maybe got under some cabins and ate some warrafin (rat poison) nobody around the lake uses stric9 .....??? hmmm! still strange . we have contacted the f&w and are turning him over this weekend!
Old 01-22-2010, 10:22 PM

your grandpa is pretty good if he can tell a rabid animal by the looks of it.
Onset of rabies can take weeks or months and the animal appears healthy for a long time. Strange behaviour can be the first sign of an otherwise healthy looking animal.

X2 on Cat's advice.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:10 PM

Default coyotes

A few years back at my sisters cabin in Seba beach, I was sitting up alone by the fire after everyone else went to bed ,when a coyote walked up out of the ravine and sat down next to the fire. I mean 6-8 feet from the fire and about 15-20 feet from me.After sitting there and watching me for a minute or so it put its head back and let out a long,eeiry howl and then got up and walked past me at only a couple of feet away. Im sure I could have touched if I had wanted to.At this point the neighbours malamute came tearing onto the scene and chased the coyote off. At first I thought it might have been the effects of the rum but when I went into the cabin my sister asked " what the h@#$ was that".Im sure that this coyote was used to people being around but I dont know why it showed absolutely no fear of me.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Linton, if I were you I would get that coyote head to a lab that can test it for rabies!
Cat
i agree with cat , in all my years i never seen nuttuin like that , there was something sieriously wrong with that wild preditor, to let a human walk up to it and kertink it on the noggin
Old 01-23-2010, 10:35 AM

Default goofy critters

3 years ago my 2 boys and their freind were gutting and skinning a deer in our pole shed, hanging off the tractor.
i went out to see how they were doing, we were all standing there in the tractor lights, talking and wandering about getting the deer dealt with.
something caught my eye near the back of the truck that was backed up to the opening of the shed. a young fox wandered in, right up to within 5 feet of the hanging deer and the boys skinning.
the freind went around to the passenger side of the truck and grabbed his gun, loaded it, came to the back where the fox was, every one took a step back, and the kid shot the fox, at about 6 feet.
it was just standing there, sniffing the air, never moved a bit with us talking and moving around.
ps. 7mag from 6', not fur friendly, lee.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:00 PM

I drove the fire truck out a few days ago on a call, and on the way out there was a coyote sleeping on the side of the road, sirens blaring and I was hauling c@rn@ge.
When I came back a hour or 2 later, he was still there, just sleeping. Very odd behavior. Maybe the yotes have heard about the Saskatchewan bounty, and feel safe in Alberta?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-23-2010, 06:57 PM

I came across a coyote sleeping in a ditch , I was surveying at the time so just walked past it , it didn't wake up till I yelled , then it ran off.

A woman I know was camping out in the bush , sleeping under the stars , she felt something on her legs and looked down to see a coyote sleeping there ! She is a serious gal so I tend to believe her.

Young coyotes are naive but those that survive their first few encounters with people learn to avoid them.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:32 PM

Interesting thread. I shot one with my bow 3 years ago while creeping through some brush. She popped up at about 10 yards and looked at me. Always thought I snuck up on her while she was asleep, but never really considered myself THAT stealthy!

I had the skull done, and this is what we found.....

Initially I kidded that I shot a 'mentally challanged' yote, but as it would turn out, the joke was on me!

Tree
Old 01-23-2010, 07:44 PM

Default yotes

CWD Better get the government boys out there culling them like deer.............

Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 PM

This is all very interesting to me. Last summer and fall we had one on our place that showed virtually no fear of us. Several times my wife and I rode our horses quite close to it. It would run off about 40 or 50 yards and stop and look at us. We started calling it "The Ret*rd". One evening in Sept I was bow hunting and, just at the end of legal hunting time, started to climb down from my tree stand when this coyote came along and stopped right under my stand. It was too dark for a shot so I spoke to it and it just sat down and looked at me. I threw my seat cushion at it and it just ran over and kind of sniffed it. Finally I just climbed down the tree and when I got to the ground it had left. A few days later I was in my truck in the same area where we had been seeing it and saw it again. I had a shotgun with me and when I got out of the truck the coyote ran about 30 yards and stopped and looked at me. I got 2 shots at it and hit it both times I think. Last I saw of it, it was heading full speed into the bush. I found a bit of blood and hair but never found the coyote and never saw it again.

Last edited by 270WIN; 01-23-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Banned

Around here if they hear a change in the RPM in the engine, at quarter mile away, all you see is snow flying, and maybe catch site of the tail.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
Around here if they hear a change in the RPM in the engine, at quarter mile away, all you see is snow flying, and maybe catch site of the tail.
Same here now.

They also cover the whole 1/4 section with out slowing down.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:44 PM

Last fall while hunting near Slave Lake my dad had a simular expirience. He drove to within 30 feet of a coyote with his quad and stopped. The coyote came to about 8 feet and stopped. Dad drove towards it and it just moved enough to let him by. A few days later another hunter had a simular expirience very near that spot although not quite as close.I thought it may have had rabies but dad thought it might have something to do with the fact that the lumber company had sprayed the cutblocks a few weeks before.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:44 PM

Wow I am very surprised at the number of similiar encounters.