Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-23-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I do own 1 Weatherby and it's a fantastic rifle, but a pre- Mark V, .300 Wby.
So which action is your pre-Mark V built on?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:55 AM

Default just keepin it simple

actually, i'm a fan of whatever shoots well. not to sure if there's a fire arm built these days that won't fit somebody's needs, and perform adequately in their mind.
that being said, as you progress in your shooting ability, you tend to strive for better performance from your equipment.
there are lots of guys that only shoot about 20 rounds a year, get their deer, and are happy with that; not everyone take the sport the level you and i obviously do.
i really enjoy shooting, and hunting, and have tried to make it my full time hobby, with way more invested than i can probably afford; could probably afford more if i dropped a couple other vice's, but you gotta live!
when my dad talked me into buying my first duce, about 25 years ago, we went to the gun show in lethbridge, cash in hand. i found a duce that matched my budget, an old savage 340 with an extra clip and weaver k4, and 1 box of factory and 1 box of handloads, all for $275.
nothing else at the show caught dad's eye, so we went to hoyts sporting goods, dad bought a brand new brno fox model 2 with set triggers and an m8 4x leupold,and a couple boxes of ammo, believe it was about $650 for the package.
we rushed home to get shooting before dark. long story short, while the brno shot well, it never did come close to the old savage, even after months of handloading!
so the moral of the story is, different strokes for different folks, but $$ isn't always the difference between good or poor shooting fire arms, and to label one brand better than another in a blanket statement may come back to bite you in the azz.
for the new shooter, probably best to start with something middle of the road, .308, up or down from there, and see where his sport takes him.
i'll put my money on the shooter's ability ahead of the equipment every time, i know that almost every one of my guns still out shoots me, except for that p.o.s. nef 204 that i had.
looking forward to this year's postal match and the array of guns used to shoot it, speaking from experience, some luck on the right day helps alot too!!
this year dick, ask the shooter's to submit caliber and make of fire arm used to compete, should be interesting, lee.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Banned

My first rifle was 257 Weatherby in a stainless Vanguard, good cartridge to start out with, then you have no choice but to start reloading, with the price of factory ammo. It would shoot 1/2" groups with reloads, bad trigger though, not a hard fix, but rings and bases are quite expensive, considering any Rem base will fit and I am pretty sure, any Rem stock will fit aswell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
My best Rifle I own is Just like yours.Its a 300 wby mag mark v deluxe built in west Germany in the 1960's.It was my uncle's rifle,he gave it to me when he was on his death bed 5 years ago.It can shoot 5 shots @ 100yards under an inch with a 180 grain nosler bullet.
My Weatherby is pre '57, pre West German. It is not a Mark V. It was built in Southgate (if memory serves me), California... at the Weatherby shop, Serial # is just over 2,000! It's built on a Belgian FN Mauser action and a 24" barrel, not the 26". Then, Roy Weatherby was essentially building custom rifles on Mauser Actions, before he developed the Mark V. To me, this rifle is a priceless family piece and just might be my most accurate rifle. If you're a Weatherby "nut", (and that's a good thing), you should keep an eye out for one of these!
Banned

My first rifle was 257 Weatherby in a stainless Vanguard, good cartridge to start out with, then you have no choice but to start reloading, with the price of factory ammo. It would shoot 1/2" groups with reloads, bad trigger though, not a hard fix, but rings and bases are quite expensive , considering any Rem base will fit and I am pretty sure, any Rem stock will fit as well.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
considering any Rem base will fit and I am pretty sure, any Rem stock will fit aswell.
Remington and Howa/Vanguard stocks are not interchangeable.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dshooter View Post
My Weatherby is pre '57, pre West German. It is not a Mark V. It was built in Southgate (if memory serves me), California... at the Weatherby shop, Serial # is just over 2,000! It's built on a Belgian FN Mauser action and a 24" barrel, not the 26". Then, Roy Weatherby was essentially building custom rifles on Mauser Actions, before he developed the Mark V. To me, this rifle is a priceless family piece and just might be my most accurate rifle. If you're a Weatherby "nut", (and that's a good thing), you should keep an eye out for one of these!
Cool.Yaa I'd hold on too that rifle.I know that my 300 wby is one of our top three rifles for accuracy.I think our most accurate Rifle,which is dads is a 300wsm in a sako 85 bavarian.Sako's are my second favorite after wby.I think pound for pound they are more accuate than WBY's.However i'm a Big fan of the Wby cartridges,even more so than the rifles.To me I like the feel and looks of a wby over a sako,however for sako's being abit less in $$ than a WBY,your better off with a sako because they are very accurate.But like I said I like the wby cartridges. Ive got only three WBY deluxe rifles,
and one custom rifle chambered for a 257 wby mag.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Banned

Thanx,

I was wondering when you would catch that Elky, and correct me, any other suggestions, or are you just going to stick your tongue out again.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
.I dont drink\smoke\Gamble,so like elkhunter11 said "you got to spend your money on something"
I stand corrected.I needed a cig to calm my nerves after I shot this buck in saskatchewan 2 years ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007 sask non-typ.jpg (101.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: gif 2007 saskatchewan buck.gif (11.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg sask non typ.jpg (136.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg sask 2007.jpg (133.2 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by whitetail Junkie; 01-24-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:04 PM

^^^^Nice deer WJ!!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
^^^^Nice deer WJ!!
Thanx,You should be use to seeing big whitetail ,if you live in Iron River.I know of some bucks that put that area on the map!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Thanx,You should be use to seeing big whitetail ,if you live in Iron River.I know of some bucks that put that area on the map!
Yup in 502 its a Nov season and I see some real smokers.......between August and October 25
Like clockwork every year.
They are just starting to come out in the daylight now.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:50 PM

I started with a Sevens 200 in .308 works perfect, tight groups @ 100 yds. I installed a Boyds Thumbhole Stock and love it, very very accurate gun for the money. BUT with a blind mag and on&off bikes/snowmobiles and other vehicles all day and having to load/unload every time becomes a chore, not too mention lost oportunity while fumbling around with your ammo. IMO do as I did recently spend a bit extra and get a FCXP3 package deal (Scope, Sling, maybe a case too) for $50-$70 more, get a detach box mag with them.

Steer Clear of Remington 710 & 770's and some 700's
Old 01-26-2010, 01:16 PM

Not shure how much flak I'll get for this but I have a Browning BLR in 308 with a 3-9 bushnell that I like really well. Also have a Model 94, 32 win spl. I like the ol' crank guns if I know I won't be shooting to far. (300 yards for 308) 308 is a nice little rifle with lots of choices for factory ammo. It's put lots of meat in the freezer over the years.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:37 PM

I was in the same situation & I got a Savage model 111 with scope in 30-06 new from Canadian Tire for about $450.
It is a fantastic gun that shoots great & I am very happy with it. Doesn't have the Acu-Trigger & while definitely a nice feature should not be a deal breaker.
S.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:30 PM

Default hunting rifle suggestions?

I appreciated all the great info given so far. I am greener than our friend on shooting rifles , bow hunter to date. Other than the Aeia , courses never done much gun shooting at all. I have checked out the guns at the Canadian tire on Mcleoud , the old fellow there was pretty good about letting me get a feel for most of the 30.06 and 7 mm in the guns cases. I am hoping to go out with a friend and shoot a couple of different rifles once the weather warms up, to get a real handle of recoil and fit. I an leaning towards the Wtb. mark 5 sportman 308 or 30.06 and a Leopold 3x9x40 scope. Any down side the the Wtb. Vangard package that Wholesale is selling?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutin View Post
I appreciated all the great info given so far. I am greener than our friend on shooting rifles , bow hunter to date. Other than the Aeia , courses never done much gun shooting at all. I have checked out the guns at the Canadian tire on Mcleoud , the old fellow there was pretty good about letting me get a feel for most of the 30.06 and 7 mm in the guns cases. I am hoping to go out with a friend and shoot a couple of different rifles once the weather warms up, to get a real handle of recoil and fit. I an leaning towards the Wtb. mark 5 sportman 308 or 30.06 and a Leopold 3x9x40 scope. Any down side the the Wtb. Vangard package that Wholesale is selling?
Nothing wrong with the Vanguard package you mention. If you can handle the arrogance around Wholesale's gun counter.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:49 PM

Well if are planning on keeping your new rifle for awhile, I would sugest a Remington CDL, It is a very nice rifle for the price somthing you would proud of taking with You on any new adventure, also strong reliable rifle . As for a cartridge for your new rifle you can not go wrong with .270 or 30-06 (my first caliber 30-06) both very versitile and both rounds reality available any where ammo is sold. ( 30-06 factory ammo 55gr-220gr) good any critters in canada. Good luck
Old 01-30-2010, 12:13 AM

A Ruger is a nice gun as well. Just dont get anything made in Japan, like the brownings or weatherbys. I use to be a browning fan, but the madein japan thing is slowly turnning me off.
My wife has a ruger in all weather 30-06 and that thing will go hole for hole at 100 with winchester 150s from wal-mart. its topped witha bushnell banner 3-9x50 view.
make sure its made in the US, cause i cant think of any made in canada now. guns like weatherby or browning, and some remmingtons have reputation of being made in the US, but have "MADE IN JAPAN" stamped on the barrel.
jsut my 0.02
good luck!!