Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Without POL or PAL

I know this has been covered elsewhere on this board but I can't find it.
My son has a valid WIN card but no POL or PAL. Providing he has a wildlife certificate and the appropriate licences, i.e. game bird, WT, etc., can he walk with me and shoot game with my rifle or shotgun? I would be with him within arms reach, so to speak. Can someone post a link to a site that covers this situation?
Thanks guys.

Grady
Old 09-18-2007, 03:26 PM

Yes, I just went thru this, it is allowed, the letter of the law states "within arms reach". How old is your son?
Good luck hunting!
Old 09-18-2007, 04:14 PM

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/faq/transfer_cession_e.asp

Q. Can I borrow a firearm that is registered to someone else?

Yes, if you have a firearms licence that is valid for that class of firearm. When you borrow a firearm, borrow the registration certificate too so that you can provide proof that the firearm is registered if you need to.

If you do not have a valid firearms licence, or if your licence is not valid for the class of firearm you wish to borrow, you may borrow the firearm only if you are under the direct and immediate supervision of a suitably licensed adult (aged 18 or older) and there are no court orders prohibiting you from possessing firearms or other weapons.

This was taken from the CFC site. What I read here is; your son is unlicensed but he can borrow one of your firearms as long as you have direct supervision over him and you are a licensed adult.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:18 PM

Thanks for your reply, Hauchk. I don't doubt your word but I need to read it with my own eyes in order to quote the chapter and verse if need be. Do you remember where you read it?

Grady
Old 09-18-2007, 04:38 PM

Thanks for posting the link, Geezer.
Good luck hunting this fall, guys.

Grady
Old 09-18-2007, 04:46 PM

Last year, when he was 14, I put my son through the Firearms course with AHEIA. That allowed him to get a Minor's Firearms permit. He can't own a gun or buy ammo, but when we are hunting he can carry a gun(registered to me) further than "arm's reach" as long as we are within communicating distance(without radios ect.)