Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2007, 05:22 PM

Red face Hand Gun Permits

Finally got around to ordering a hand gun. It's been quite a while since I took the course so I thought I'd ask the experts. What is the requirement to carry your gun from home to the range, I'm sure a special permit is required but how long is it good for and where do you get one. Pretty sure the gun needs a trigger lock and also a locked case to transport it, with ammo seperate. Just want to make sure everything is legal, don't need any unneccesary hassles. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Gone Hunting

Thumbs up

The transport permit is obtained through CFC same as your Restricted PAL, you need to be a member of an approved range. The permit is good for a couple years, just checked mine & it expires September 30/07 so I need to get busy & renew it pronto...
--Ken
Old 09-16-2007, 05:50 PM
50BMG

Just to add to Ken's post.

Here are the rules for transportation and storage

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets...ransport_e.asp

And here is more information on your ATT (authorization to transport). Again, you will have to prove by mail r fax that you do belong to a rilfe and pistol range.

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/faq/transport_e.asp

If someone has the direct line to the Edmonton office maybe post it for him. Saves time on hold.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerySavage View Post
you need to be a member of an approved range.
--Ken
You don't have to be a "member" of any range, so long as the range is approved for restricted firearms use. A standard ATT is valid for 3 years and allows you to transport between your residence and either an approved range or gunsmith. Anything outside of this needs another specific ATT.

You can get one by calling 1 800 731-4000
Old 09-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Gone Hunting

Question

Hmm, when I got my ATT 3 years ago I had to fax proof of my membership in Wapiti Shooters Club before they would authorize & issue the ATT. So what changed that allows you to get an ATT without a gun range membership?
--Ken
Old 09-16-2007, 08:18 PM

I just got another handgun couple weeks ago and I had to be a member of an approved range.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:30 PM

Thats really odd. I could not find anything on cfc about membership as a requirement to get an ATT. I could be wrong then. Ill ask others I shoot with if they had to prove membership.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:36 PM

You have to prove you are a member of an approved range now, that was changed when the RCMP took over administration of the Firearms registry (which was new as of this year if I remember right). The Shooting Edge in Calgary now sells a membership card for about $30 - it isn't a membership but it satisfies the requirement.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:56 PM

^^^ That would explain a few things.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemad View Post
Finally got around to ordering a hand gun. It's been quite a while since I took the course so I thought I'd ask the experts. ....Thanks in advance for any replies.

Ummm..I think from the replies below you can conclude that the "experts" with regard to CFC regulations reside at the CFC, LOL. Its fun to chat here, and there are lots of knowledgable people on this board, but I would never accept legal/regulatory advice given here as gospel, to be depended upon. My god, you might be taking the advice of someone like ME!!! Phone the agencies you have questions about