Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Hunting Camp Heaters ...

I would be interested to hear from some of you cold-weather hunters how you heat your tents. Open flame propane heaters give off a lot of condensation, don't they? I'm thinking too of the safety aspect as well. Wall tents have stovepipe holes for little wood heaters but tents don't. We are planning on putting 4' walls on an 8x12 quad trailer and a tarp roof over it all to sleep in, but don't know what to heat it with.
Your input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ...
Old 09-15-2007, 06:39 PM

We use a wood stove and propane heater. I bought the hotspot heater from Canadian Tire. We use it first thing in the morning for a quick blast of heat until the the wood stove going again. It usuall goes out close to morning. Then again we're using a wall tent. Not much to worry about with the propane, lots of air gets in the tent and we crack the window a bit.
If you use a heater make sure you have sufficient air flow.
Play safe!
Old 09-15-2007, 11:06 PM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:39 AM

Default Heat

If you have a tarp for a roof I think you're going to get condensation no matter what you use. I use both a propane heater (8/10/12K BTU) and a wood stove in a 12 X 14 tent. I only use the propane heater to get the chill off if I don't want to start a fire in the stove......otherwise I use the stove. Click on the thumbnail to see what I am using...

I wouldn't sleep to soundly with a propane heater running all night....but thats just me. Heat with propane before you turn in.........turn it off when you hit the sack and turn it on when you wake in the am (or wake up 'cause it's cold)................use an extreme cold weather sleeping bag lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sheep Home Inside 10 compressed.JPG (19.2 KB, 117 views)
Old 09-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Gone Hunting

Ehntr, we have been doing/using the exact same set up for heating, works fantastic. The 20 ponder will throw some serious heat and within a couple minutes, we are able to get dressed, get out to the cook tent, and get a fire going in the stove out there. Cant say enough about having a quick blast of heat ready in the sleep tent, without having to re-stoke up the stove. Its nice to let it go out, and only have one stove going in the mornings. Man......not gonna be getting out with my tents this fall, sure am missing it already .

keep a strain on er.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:47 PM

Thanks guys, for the replies. Like the idea of temporary quick heat in the
morning with propane heaters, just don't want to go to sleep with it burning is all.

Good & safe hunting to all.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:58 AM

In the fall when i would go visit my dad on his sail boat back in sask, he used a kerosene heater. He would put it on low and it would burn all night. kept it comfortable at night. I guess you could use it for the tent either at night or during the day when you are out to keep things from freezing. all you need to take is any extra jerry can for kerosene. it has a cage around the burner so that if somthing fell against it would not catch fire.

It looked very similair to this model

http://www.hectorshardware.biz/shop/...08&sku=457132&