Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Big Tease at Sibbald public range

I just returned from sighting in a few rifles at Homestead range. All the benches were full, so a few other fellows witnessed this as well. We'd had our cease fire to go and check our targets, all had returned, though we had not called "range safe" yet to resume shooting, as we were still chatting. Lo and behold we had a visitor at the 50 metre line, a large cow moose had decided to grace us with her presence. She trotted out into the centre of the line of fire, and hesitated there for about 20 seconds, or perhaps a bit longer, before departing to range left. We came to the conclusion she'll be well conditioned to the sound of gunfire, and that she might well grace someones freezer this year as a result.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Gone Hunting

It is not uncommon to see a few white-tails on the rocky Mtn Hse range. Once I used the out house behind the range shack and noticed a lot of blue berries in the bush. I started picking and eating them and found a fresh pile of bear poo.

Robin in Rocky
Old 09-13-2007, 10:58 PM

Boy howdy...talk about the WROOOONG place to show up lol.

Surprising really, considering how smart Moose are lol...
Old 09-13-2007, 11:52 PM

Hey Caber, what time was that? We were out there at about 8:30am-noon today, and the guys who were there before us said that there were THREE of 'em on the 'range' when they got there!

Tree
Old 09-14-2007, 08:16 AM

That happened to us last year at Sibbald. But it was a cow and her calf. We were walking back from checking our targets and here she and the calf were grazing beside the shooting tables. She wouldn't move for about 30 minutes and got very angry as we approached and made yelling noises so she would leave. It was dark by the time she moved on and our shooting was over :-(
Old 09-14-2007, 10:02 AM

When I used to live in fort st. John BC I had to walk down and shoo the mule deer off the 200m range. No fear at all!!
Old 09-14-2007, 01:15 PM

were you able to get any pictures??
Old 09-14-2007, 06:34 PM

Treeguy, it was at about 7:15 PM. Sadly my camera was back in my truck, and as it only appeared for that brief moment, there wasn't an opprotunity to retrieve it.

I was thinking if someone "accidentally" shot it, and there was full penetration of the projectile, it'd be a pretty interesting crime scene for a CSI ballistics guy. "Now go find the bullet!" :P
Old 09-14-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I was thinking if someone "accidentally" shot it, and there was full penetration of the projectile, it'd be a pretty interesting crime scene for a CSI ballistics guy. "Now go find the bullet!" :P

We were there at 8am. Man, you got that right, we were thinking that there is so much lead in that bank behind the 100 yard (111 yard to be precise), that the weight of it is causing the whole area the SINK! Happy hunting!

Tree