5 km/h over the speed limit 15 14.42%
10 km/h over the speed limit 43 41.35%
15 km/h over the speed limit 18 17.31%
20 km/h over the speed limit 14 13.46%
more than 20 km/h over the speed limit 4 3.85%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Speeding

Under ideal driving conditions (meaning visibility, road conditions, traction, weather, and traffic patterns are all at 100%) at what speed to you drive?

1) Below the speed limit

2) Right on the speed limit

3) 5 km/h over the speed limit

4) 10 km/h over the speed limit

5) 15 km/h over the speed limit

6) 20 km/h over the speed limit

7) more than 20km/h over the speed limit

-Dylan
Old 09-13-2007, 06:29 PM

I dont want to talk about it....and no you can not look in my glovebox.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Haha

No doubt brown bear. I'm not excessive by any means, but I'm getting crucified by a couple guys on my other post where I find it surprising that I got nailed for being 12 km/h over.

I'm trying to get a fair polling of what the average outdoorsman on this board does with his right foot.

-Dylan
Old 09-13-2007, 06:36 PM

lol Just busting your chops a bit since you reminded me off the tickets i have to pay.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:01 PM

i know this may not be true but i heard that the cops actually give you a 10km/h cushion due to speedometer error, now i think in a residential area or construction zone thats a little different but if your on a HWY or a major road and your goin 12 over the posted limit and they do take into account a 10km speedometer error then that means they pulled you over for goin 2km or the speed limit. Only thing i can think of is that cop is a lil behind on his quota

AKA MAVERICK
Old 09-13-2007, 07:20 PM

Its a 10% cussion so I have been told. As the acceptable margin of error. So 110 in a 100 zone and 55 in a 50.....
Old 09-13-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baulde View Post
Its a 10% cussion so I have been told. As the acceptable margin of error. So 110 in a 100 zone and 55 in a 50.....
Yah thats right 10% not 10km

Either way he pulled you over for doin less then 10 over the limit which is crap

AKA MAVERICK
Old 09-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Doc Holiday

Friend of mine is in Rural Law Enforcement, basically the rule they use, is anything 10km p/h and over will get you a roadside stop. Depending on how much over the magic number you are, or on the feller behind the gun... or pen fer that matter. I believe all " magic numbers ".... are not the same.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Banned

Let them see your radar detector and you will find out how "gracious" they can be.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:36 PM

Hi Dylan,

I don't like your survey because it's too simple.

I like driving fast and I come from a place were people drive really fast.
But there is a diffference. I may drive 125kmh or even faster coming home from Nordegg on an empty road, fully realizing that I'm taking a risk.
I 'm much more careful driving through towns or construction sites and don't usually speed there or only very little.
I have a real issue with people doing 60 in residential areas or back alleys were kids are playing.
It's one thing taking a risk for myself, it's an entirely different thing jeopardizing somebody else's health.

I was told that there are places now in the cities such as school zones and constructions sites where there is zero telorance and I would support that.

Legally though I doubt that zero tolerance can be enforced in a court because radar guns like any instrument have failure rates
Old 09-13-2007, 07:52 PM

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
Let them see your radar detector and you will find out how "gracious" they can be.
I'm not sure what you mean. What about a cigarette lighter, soccer ball or other inanimate, item which is legal to possess.

Are you implying that they will treat me differently based on my ownership of a legal and perfectly societally acceptable item? I'm either guilty of an offense under the TSA or not guilty, I hardly think the accessories in my vehicle will make a difference after I've already been pulled over for inspection.

I think a little higher of the average peace officer than you do apparently- they tend not to be swayed by game boys and nintendos. Maybe you should tell me what colour hat to wear so I get all their "grace" in a traffic stop.

Vindalbakken, we clearly disagree on this- you think I'm out of line to be 12 km/h over the speed and I accept that we have differing opinions.

-Dylan
Old 09-13-2007, 07:58 PM

Default I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by altaberg View Post
Hi Dylan,

I don't like your survey because it's too simple.

I like driving fast and I come from a place were people drive really fast.
But there is a diffference. I may drive 125kmh or even faster coming home from Nordegg on an empty road, fully realizing that I'm taking a risk.
I 'm much more careful driving through towns or construction sites and don't usually speed there or only very little.
I have a real issue with people doing 60 in residential areas or back alleys were kids are playing.
It's one thing taking a risk for myself, it's an entirely different thing jeopardizing somebody else's health.

I was told that there are places now in the cities such as school zones and constructions sites where there is zero telorance and I would support that.

Legally though I doubt that zero tolerance can be enforced in a court because radar guns like any instrument have failure rates
I'm with you 100% Altaberg, and I'm very strict myself about school zones, construction zones, etc. At the top of my post, I indicate "ideal driving conditions", specifically referring to traffic patterns and road conditions (construction and school zone/residential areas would fit that description).

I'm just looking for a general overview under ideal conditions, special circumstances like that notwithstanding. I tried to put all that in the topic of the poll, but I can't on this board (not enough room) so I had to put it in the first post below.

I'm not justifying or encouraging excessive speeding, but definitely want to hear what others have to say about their driving and discretion when conditions allow.

Cheers,

-Dylan
Old 09-13-2007, 08:03 PM

sorry man,

didn't read that carefully enough, I'm with you now.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:18 PM

On the highway in usually drive 30km over under idea conditions as for populated ares etc i drive within 5 of the limit
Old 09-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Now if the LEGAL speed limit is 100 km/h, some of you think it is ok to drive at 112km/h.

Does that mean if the limit on ducks is 8, some of you may think it is ok to shoot 9?

Just a thought!

Robin in Rocky
Old 09-13-2007, 08:30 PM

Scott si right let them see your radar detector and you will get nailed. Let alone the fact you are dumb enough to get nailed with a WORKING radar detector. You know. It was your own fault for speeding in the first place let alone not slowing down when it went off.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:31 PM

Unless your in hurry and on the way to the Stettler gun show and are going a little to fast (23 km/h) or the posted limit. you are ussually safe doing 10 over.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:31 PM

Default speed

altabergx2- dido
Old 09-13-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGSP View Post
Scott si right let them see your radar detector and you will get nailed. Let alone the fact you are dumb enough to get nailed with a WORKING radar detector. You know. It was your own fault for speeding in the first place let alone not slowing down when it went off.
Now Ryan, place nice. No need to call names.... Read all the words in my initial post and you'll understand the radar detector portion of this situation.

It's my own fault for speeding? Really, see I have been trying so hard to duck the blame with words like "I am guilty as sin" and "I know I was speeding" and "I know the law, I am simply asking how other people drive."

And Robin, somebody already mentioned the bag limit analogy. In my opinion it's apples and oranges. Kind of like comparing homicide to shoplifting. I won't deny that both contravene legislation, however everything is relative.

Regardless, let's stay on topic here.

I, Dylan am guilty of speeding, I did contravene the Traffic Safety Act, and I intend to plead guilty and pay the penalty for my offense.

With that said, can we skip any further references that have the "your're dumb" or "you're at fault" scoolyard finger pointing?

Most folks are being pretty reasonable and contributing to my post, but the way a handful of guys are reacting to me speeding by 12 km/h hour reminds me of a real old analogy about somebody hucking the first rock.

-Dylan
Old 09-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Banned

Dylan, I have never said you were out of line for going over by 12 km. You were out of line by calling the ticketing for it BS. Sorry you thought there was some beholden grace that would protect you to 15 over and you feel wronged by Edson not playing by your rules. I trust your poll will help you sleep tonight. I voted in the category I fit.

There is a segment of society that feels it is socially acceptable to own drug paraphenalia.

I trust you understand the underlying differentiation between murder 1, murder 2 and manslaughter?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Vindalbakken

1) Not all my remarks have been directed at you, and you are correct, you have not stated I was out of line.

2) I sleep quite comfortably at night. The purpose of my poll is to provide me with a better understanding of driving habits, and the general opinion of the average outdoorsman on this board. Does it have illustrative purpose for some of the "na na na na poo poo" crowd.... read into that what you will.

3) I'm pleased that you voted in the category which matched your driving habits, as that was the intent of the poll. Democracy at work!

4) I'm not sure where your drug paraphanelia reference fits in, but if you expand upon it I would be glad to respond. If that's your rebuttal to the radar detector ownership, that's not only deemed socially acceptable, but legally acceptable. When operating in jurisdictions to the contrary, the device gets left behind or turned off.

If you can point out the section of the TSA which states that I get an automatic infraction for owning a radar detector during a traffic stop, I would love to be educated. The average LEO will ticket you for the infraction, not for having some accessory plugged into the lighter socket once he gets up to your window. You were either speeding, or not speeding, that's the foundation of the offense. To imply otherwise indicates something of a conflict of interest which a court might be interested in if it were anything more than heresy.

5) I'm not quite passed the Bar exam but I am familiar with the differentiation. Again, more than vague innuendo is required.

Debate is good, and I'm glad we can go back and forth without "flaming" and getting obscene. This is a nice change from some posts I've observed so seriously- thank you! *Handshake*

-Dylan
Old 09-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Banned

Possession of drug paraphenalia is not illegal in Canada (much to the chagrin of the US). In the right circles it is socially acceptable. I know of no one in my social circles who owns a radar detector.

Even in the most serious of crimes the application of law shows leniancy towards those who did not display premeditated intent.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:40 PM

OK, the reason for the 10% (or more) tolerance, is due to the variety of different calibrations between your speedometer and their radar unit. If fought in court, almost every judge will knock it down or throw it out altogether. It is really not worth law enforcements time and effort to write you a ticket within the 10% range. The reason that they make the effort to stop vehicals in that speed range is because it gives them legal 'due cause' to pull you over. Do you know how many drug-mule busts have been made because of shady lookin' cats going just 3kmph over the limit? Answer: LOTS!

Dylan, 12km over in a 50km res area gets ya a ticket. The officers have no choice on that one. They are just doing their job. Your location matters not. They have VERY specific rules to follow (oh yeah, the LAW). They are also allowed a pretty large 'grey area' to do their jobs within. 12 over in a 50 is not grey. Does your location really matter?

Tree
Old 09-14-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Hangin' with different crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
Possession of drug paraphenalia is not illegal in Canada (much to the chagrin of the US). In the right circles it is socially acceptable. I know of no one in my social circles who owns a radar detector.

Even in the most serious of crimes the application of law shows leniancy towards those who did not display premeditated intent.
I'm sure some people on this board know of nobody in their social circle who own a dirt bike, or a La-Z-Boy for goodness sake. We run with a different crowd.

-Dylan
Old 09-14-2007, 06:28 AM
Gone Hunting

Red face

The only place I tend to speed at all is hwy 43 enroute to the big silly of Edmonton (anything to shorten up the 5 hour drive) with a Speed Limit of 110kmh, I run 115 to 118kmh & never get a ticket, but if you exceed 120 kmh you will get busted.
To answer your last question, I used to race dirt bikes in my youth, but thats a long time ago now.
--Ken
Old 09-14-2007, 06:59 AM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Now if the LEGAL speed limit is 100 km/h, some of you think it is ok to drive at 112km/h.

Does that mean if the limit on ducks is 8, some of you may think it is ok to shoot 9?

Just a thought!

Robin in Rocky
for the love of god, i agree with duffy thinking 12km over a posted speed limit is like thinking just one beer is ok before you get behind the wheel, because you can hold your liquor.

i think the worst thing on the highways is the un-educated drivers that dont know the correct speed to be traveling, in a particular lane when passing an emergency vehicles on the highway. oh, and those drivers that need a diaper change as they just fell out of the womb when a snowflake appears, those rank pretty bad .
Old 09-14-2007, 07:50 AM
Banned

I'm sure this will surprise everyone but i drive like a dink.

Snooze you lose, i've got places to be and i didn't just get in the truck to putz around...so i know all the right lanes to be in and i'll go right to the end of an ending lane and cut over, nothing illegal about it so might as well (i put my signal on however...and often wave thanks ), 20 k over...you bet....fookin ZOOM ZOOM!

I guess 16 years of always working on the other side of the city i live and having to deal with rush hour from one side to the other twice a day does that to a guy.

Just once it would be a treat to work close to work but i've always been in the NE for work and either lived south...god i love the deerfoot ...or on the west...straight through downtown twice a day....good times.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:54 AM

I bet some in this thread drive 110 in the fast lane on the QE.

Gimme a break!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Too Fast too....

I will drive as fast as is reasonable, meaning. Traffic, corners, weather, condition of the vehicle, etc, knowledge of the road is another big one. As with everything use your judgement.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:39 PM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
I bet some in this thread drive 110 in the fast lane on the QE.

Gimme a break!

ha, i dont, my truck is governed to 104km/h