Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Banned

Default Good Truck Tires?

Looking for a good tire for mud (sheds the mud off easily) and in snow. 17 inch, 10 ply. Its a Dodge Ram 3500 Diesle...the BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A's that came with it are El Crappo. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:01 PM

If it's a single wheel, I've had BFG Mud Terrain's on my last Ram in LT285/70-17 Load Range E IIRC, and they were great.

If it's a dually like my new one, Firestone Destination MT are the only ones I've found that fit. They seem to be working out well though... I think they're a LT245/80-17, load range E.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:23 PM

COOPER SST's....clear the treads...and dig.....I have 50K on mine and still good tread left.....
Old 09-07-2007, 04:24 PM

Cooper STT is what I am throwing on my Ram 1500 but have also looked at the Toyo M/T
Old 09-07-2007, 04:54 PM

Toyo MT is a great tire in terms of of road performance...every bit as good as the SST, but I don't think you'll see longevity in the toyo's as you will in the SST's....
Old 09-07-2007, 05:01 PM

The problem is most mud only tires are a bit pucky for ice and snow.(too solid of chunks of rubber that act like a hockey puck on ice)
What I've found from my time in Zama, and my time doing a lot of hunting is you either got to comprimise or have multiple sets of tires.
IMO the best tire for all the conditions you describerd, and one that will wear like iron on the gravel is the TOYO M55.
They have some road noise but they are about as tough as they come, and give a pretty good account of themselves in mud, snow and on ice.
Good luck.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-07-2007, 05:02 PM
s_buffalo

How are the Cooper SST's for ice?
Old 09-07-2007, 05:09 PM

Cooper Discovery SST's i have em, and i LOVE em
Old 09-07-2007, 05:45 PM

I bought some Wild Country tires from Kal Tire and they are MAJOR ELCRAPPO! I put them on my 3/4ton dodge diesel and wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Not even my worst enemy.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:50 PM

I need some on my Sierra. 265/75/17
I have Toyo's now, near bald.
I've checked around a bit.
These Coopers would likely save me $300+ for 4 over the Toyos.

TBark
Old 09-07-2007, 07:03 PM

[QUOTE=Dick284;52685]
IMO the best tire for all the conditions you describerd, and one that will wear like iron on the gravel is the TOYO M55.
QUOTE]

X2 on this advice.
I'm running them on my Dodge right now and am very pleased with the performance of this tire.
Only downside is its looking like I'm only going to get about 60K out of them, although most of that will be under pulling conditions
Old 09-07-2007, 08:05 PM
guidehunt

just got coopers stt for $1300 trail tire sherwood park .
Old 09-07-2007, 09:26 PM

I just got quoted for my dodge with 17" rims 33" tire 1200 installed from elrich tire. they are the Cooper distributor for this area.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:40 PM

Dick's bang on about mudders being no good for winter.

Also good advice on the M55.

I sure wish I could find a tire shop that still offers proper siping. I'd buy another set of these M/T's, have 'em siped and studded. That would be the bomb for winter. I think siping is a lost practice though.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:20 AM

I used the m55 toyo on gravel mostly and had good longevity out of them compared to others but for icey conditions they were the ****s to hard of rubber. Got coopers now and they seem good but wont know for a yr or so.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:37 PM

Dick is definitely right. The mud tires are no good in the snow, and just slide on the ice. I operate up north and we keep our Mud Terrains on the trucks all year round, and we can barely get out of the parking lot some days.

I have two suggestions...

My old man is running Goodyear Wranglers (with Silentarmour Tech) on his 2006 Dodge 2500. They are great in all conditions. And I am running Yokohama Geolanders on my 2001 Dodge 2500, also great tires.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:57 AM
-NDN-

about time Pops got some real tires on that thing Good luck to both of you on your big hunt coming up in a couple days
Old 09-09-2007, 06:34 AM

Silverado i think Kal tire on the Yellowhead trail still sipes tires ,they did a few years ago, think it was like 15 or 18 bucks a piece
Old 09-09-2007, 06:56 AM

What is sipes?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:56 AM

I took this from some website

Siping is a process that involves no removal of rubber, just the creation of slits into the tread blocks. It is very common in all-season and M+S automobile tires, but not too common in off-road "Mud Terrain" type tires, which feature large, monolithic tread blocks. However, there are benefits to be gained from siping these kind of tires.

How it works:

The siping cuts allow the tread blocks to flex and conform to the ground easier than a monolithic tread. In wet and icy conditions, the siping cuts act like "squeegees" to cut through the water and allow contact with the surface below. They also help dissipate heat and prolong tire life.

I siped my BFG M/T tires which had about 25,000 miles of use as well as a pair of Super Swamper TSL/SX tires with about 2000 miles. The improvement on the M/Ts was impressive. With my rear locker, it was almost impossible not to chirp a tire when accelerating around a sharp corner, now, it I have to really try to break it loose. I also tested it in the rain with similar results. On ice, I was able to climb a steep hill covered with glare ice in 2WD with ease. Normally this hill requires 4WD to get up in this condition. While it was possible to spin the tires, if I backed off the throttle, they regained traction and pulled nicely.

I'm sold (and siped), but before you start cutting, be sure to read the following caveats:

Caveats:

I will described what I did to my tires. I think they work better after siping and I've had no problems with it. You should be aware that siping tires may void your tire warrantee, whether you do it or a shop does it. The Rubber Manufacturers Association, a trade group representing tire makers, neither endorses nor condemns the procedure. It says that it is critical that siping be done properly to avoid ruining a tire.

Tire makers have stronger opinions:

Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. does not recommend that passenger tires be siped, because the tread depth and the tire body are not designed for siping. Siping could invalidate the warranty if Goodyear determines that a tire failure was caused by the procedure.

Michelin Tire (who also market the popular BFG brand) does not recommend it, but acknowledge that it is common in the industry. Siping can alter or corrupt the design criteria that were established for that tire. It can cause excess noise, excess heat buildup, and it could ultimately cause damage to the tire. (e.d. This last statement is interesting as these are some of the benefits of siping large monolithic tread block)

Sounds like it works nicely. I would get this done by professionals though.

Cabot.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:05 AM

We run Toyo M55 on our Oilfield trucks. Good tire on gravel, mud and snow not great on ice. We get excellent wear out of em. A few other oilfield guys that I know run Yokohama geolanders and really like them as well. I wanted to try a set of BFG rugged terrains last year but our tire guy did not reccomend them for us because they are not a 10 ply tire.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Banned

Thanks for all the replies guys...lots of good stuff here! I looked into it lots, and narrowed it down to the Cooper STT and ST, BF t/a and Toyo M55. Decided to go with the Cooper ST...heard a TON of great things about them, they are like the STT's but with better siping for the ice. Also their tred life I hear is good. Sure look nice. Good luck to everyone this year!
Old 09-09-2007, 11:29 AM

If it isn't too late - I would definitely look at the Yokohama Geolandars.

I've always ran BFG but ended up with the Yokos 2 years ago (went down to the states for new tires and they were out of the size BFG I needed - every guy in the tire shop was running the Yokos on his truck so I tried them) and I am so happy - great off road and a solid tire on wet or snow covered road. I'm also getting better gas mileage than I was on my BFGs...
Old 09-10-2007, 07:47 PM

Good year wranglers are a great all round tire
Old 09-10-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahahunter View Post
Good year wranglers are a great all round tire

I agree but when thrown side by side with the Cooper Stt they were the exact same tread pattern, the side walls on the STT had better grabbers on them and the STT's throw less rock than the wranglers.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:10 PM

Hey there, thought I would give my opinion as well. I know a few oilfield guys with the M55's and they love em, two are welders packing quite a bit of weight. I myself am a Production Field Operator so its usually a couple hundred Km's a day down the gravel. I run a 2005 GMC 2500HD Crew with Toyo M/T's, I had BFG Mud Terrains last and was not all that impressed. I ran em last winter and were terrible which is kind of suprising because the rubber seems too soft and the gravel chewed em to ****. 50 thousand, right bald and got a bulge in one. I have 10K on my Toyos and like em so far, they still look new but as for winter driving, I can't really say... I guess we'll see but in the past I've found a tire has to give up a little in one condition to be better in another so its a tough choice. By the way, I'm only running mud tires because I need them and I don't expect to get high miles out of them.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:34 PM

I run 35'' Toyo M/T's on my F-350, and I have been very impressed. I heard people talking that they were good on ice but did'nt believe it until I tried it myself, and they are great. I work in the patch as well so they see alot of all-round use. Currently have 65,000km on them and still have a fair bit left. I did not notice any road noise with my 05' F-350 Diesel, but with the quiet 08' Diesel it is more noticable. The BF's are one tire that I tend to stay away from because of the wear time and they seem to lose chunks on more coarse gravel roads.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:11 PM

i have goodyear mtrs on my 2500 dodge. Its my second set of them and probably wont be my last. They are 305 70 17s. Ive had the toyo mts and hated them didnt even get 50000kms out of them
Old 09-11-2007, 08:30 PM

I have my '04 Sierra booked in for 4 of the Goodyear Wrangler A/T Silent Armor 265/70/17.
The 4 for 3 pricing is on this month.
My tab is $930 all incl.

TBark
Old 09-12-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Tires

MTR GOODYEAR WRANGLER'S- Great all season off road tire,been stuck once in my tahoe,due to my own stupidity,on ice,bare......but very seldom have had to use 4x4,and am on 70 thou km's on the 10 ply's and have lots of tread to go.Spend most time on gravel rd's,but find a lil noise on the highway.