Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 02:59 PM

Default Traditions / superstitions

I have a few things that I do that I would call pre game rituals or post game rituals. For one when I kill a deer I always give them a nice looking last meal in their mouth.... I think this is a European tradition but I like it as a show of respect. I also take a picture of my rifle on the animal.

How about some of you out there. Any rituals ?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 03:01 PM

Don’t shave till the hunt is over.
Put a drop of blood from the animal you have taken, on the inside brim of the hat you are wearing(toques get interesting)

There are no absolutes
Old 11-15-2018, 03:45 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Yukon Jack the night before...........right out of the freezer.......good stuff!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-15-2018, 04:44 PM

My son and I always take a moment in the driveway to bow our heads and give thanks for the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors together, have a safe journey, and for a successful hunt.

I also check my checklist before leaving my house. Both practices have served me well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 08:23 PM

I like to hunt a little bit hungry. I move better and don't fall asleep under trees.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-15-2018, 09:05 PM

Take a moment somewhere give thanks, then again to the animal

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 11-15-2018, 09:08 PM

Exclamation Superstition

Hide from the ravens when whitetail hunting because They make a noise that gives up your location....I still believe it....lol
Old 11-15-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
My son and I always take a moment in the driveway to bow our heads and give thanks for the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors together, have a safe journey, and for a successful hunt.

I also check my checklist before leaving my house. Both practices have served me well.

^^^ X's 2
Old 11-15-2018, 11:08 PM

Default A few

I have an empty case in my hand at first light. If I can read the headstamp it’s good light.

To remember to appreciate the other parts of the hunt I try to spot a bird right away.

Leave a note for my wife and kids
Old 11-15-2018, 11:18 PM
Banned

I also take a moment with the animal and place a handful of grass or twigs in its mouth. I have a buddy that breaks a cigarette and makes an offering of tobacco.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:41 PM

My hunting pants only get washed once there is blood on them or after a weekend backpack trip. Once I cut the tag I sit and have a cup of tea and relax, Take a deep breath and let the adrenaline fade away. Look at the animal and relive the hunt. I always say thank you the animal whether it be fish, fowl, or mammal. The last one I'm a bit self conscious about but it feels right, like doing this goes back a long ways in all cultures because far enough back we were all hunters. We killed only because we were hungry or threatened.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:53 PM

I don't have a long tradition as I've only been hunting a few years, but the thing that is always on my mind is that the animal you just downed is a monument of nature, especially a large mammal, so you must honor it and give thanks in some way. I've always tried to have an ethical kill, then kneel down, touch the animal on the head or neck and thank it for giving it's life so that we can have food.

Just a small little thing, but nothing crazy.

Also, I don't shower or shave before heading out, but definitely wear clean underwear
Old 11-16-2018, 01:11 PM

I practice abstainance for most of hunting season.
I like to think it puts me in the same frame of mind as the rutting bucks, and keeps me sharp.
It's not voluntary; my wife gets pretty cranky during hunting season.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:21 PM

For big game it seems Im not successful until I have harvested a non target animal. Every deer I have harvested has been within hours of shooting a grouse or coyote.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-16-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:

X3

Also, usually drink a Boylan root beer once I'm home to celebrate for whatever reason... I buy them in Shuswap in summertime. When I buy them, it's sorta "summers over" after our trip and into hunting mode. Kinda ties the seasons together in some weird way.
Heck even I have trouble explaining it lol

Time to go crack one now. This week: two bull elk down, two mulie bucks and a whitetail buck. Been a good week
Old 11-16-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:

X4
Old 11-16-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Not a superstition for us, but the kids and I do that as well - and give thanks when an animal is down, take time to admire the animal, respect the fact that we just took a life etc.

There's something about the first touch of fur or feathers that is sad and magical at the same time. I try not to diminish the moment.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:45 PM

I give thanks to the Creator of the Universe every time I kill an animal , no exceptions , never have been and never will be - it was how I was taught .

I make a point of using a particular pair of knives on every animal I field dress .
Both were gifts, one from my father in 1992 and another from a very good friend who sent it to me from Finland in 2012.
Every evening before I go hunting I check the edges on these knives even if I know they are sharp.

I also have worn pretty much the same hat for hunting ( when temperatures permit ) for over 20 years .
I don’t believe in superstition but I certainly do have some btraditional habits.
Cat
Old 11-16-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I also take a moment with the animal and place a handful of grass or twigs in its mouth. I have a buddy that breaks a cigarette and makes an offering of tobacco.
Being new to hunting I guess my tradition so far has been to txt you to come get the hide of my deer hahaha
Old 11-16-2018, 07:27 PM

Well, I’ve got no superstitions or traditions.

I do enjoy a good poop in the bush though and make a point of taking a picture of each of them, usually with a foot planted on each side of it, and texting said picture to a buddy of mine because I know he appreciates it. He pretends not to but I know he’d be disappointed if I quit doing it...
Old 11-16-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I have a buddy that breaks a cigarette and makes an offering of tobacco.

Deer smoke now? Dang. explains the non typicals I guess.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Deer smoke now? Dang. explains the non typicals I guess.
Lol. Yeah, it’s a Native thing to make an offering of tobacco after a kill. Pretty common from what i’ve Heard.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Lol. Yeah, it’s a Native thing to make an offering of tobacco after a kill. Pretty common from what i’ve Heard.

I like a good smoke after a tough outing myself.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:17 PM

Grass in the mouth and moment of silence, sometimes eating the heart, if you don't pop it.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:

x5 Very nice to read.Looks like your son will never forget this and pass it on,very good.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:01 AM

You can catch a lota things by surprise in this world,but nothing catches the Creator and Mother nature by surprise,so I always thank them no matter which way my hunts would go.

I spent thousands of days alone with just them as my guardians to make sure I got back home safe ,so how could I not thank them for living a life I would never change even if the clock could be reversed.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:46 AM

Quote:

x2
Attached Images
File Type: gif thumbs_up.gif (7.3 KB, 174 views)
Old 11-17-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I practice abstainance for most of hunting season.
I like to think it puts me in the same frame of mind as the rutting bucks, and keeps me sharp.
It's not voluntary; my wife gets pretty cranky during hunting season.
You too eh?

I like to sit for a couple minutes and admire the beauty of an animal, and say a silent or not so silent thank you.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:20 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Five bucks over the last few days come in....poke around....and leave.....let'em go and let'em grow......-23 out......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-18-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
I have a few things that I do that I would call pre game rituals or post game rituals.

How about some of you out there. Any rituals ?
none here, ridiculous needless activity, just enjoy the day

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31