Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-10-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
That sounds like the CO being a reasonable guy and not ruining your day. The law says you should be wearing a helmet and the next CO may issue a ticket. Precedent doesn't matter here. Helmets are for sure a pain, but so are alot of laws and here we are.
Stupid rule, but you might run into Adam Mirius, Fish cop , realtor . That boy has no sense of Ha , Ha.

Grizz
Old 11-10-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
interesting topic and what I'm seeing here is a lot of people wearing helmets only because it's a law and looking for any reason not to wear one. Doesn't anybody wear a helmet just because its smart thing to do and you only get 1 head and once you break your brain you can't fix it ?
I've been exposed to enough ATV head trauma from safe, experienced ATV riders that I wouldn't get on one without a helmet regardless of what the rules are. Just sayin...
ATGATT All the gear all the time.... when I am riding that being said I stay away from areas where quads etc ....are legal to use and only hunt on foot or by horse back if I am going where they are needed to get larger game out otherwise its de-bone and a backpack and usually multiple trips
Old 11-10-2018, 09:22 AM

I use my welding hard hat as it has a head lamp attached to it.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:07 PM

I wouldn't count on that kind of largesse from one of the C.O.s around Edson, Hinton area..

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2018, 05:10 PM
Banned

I wear one while I hunt late fall - November - they keep my head nice and warm!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:19 AM

Try wearing one while checking traps in -30oC weather, taking it off and putting on 50 times a day would wear out the little bit of hair I have left.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Stupid rule, but you might run into Adam Mirius, Fish cop , realtor . That boy has no sense of Ha , Ha.

Grizz
FWIW Safety aside. I ride my quad a couple times a year. Hunting mostly early spring bear,l ow speed nothing dangerous or difficulty, or just recovery if I have an animal down and mainly for the winch.
That being said I ride and work in the motorcycle industry. Helmet all the time. It's just common sense and safer for your noggin. Now having a few customers that do not wear helmets and try to bait law enforcement with the whole safety vs religion thing. Seems the police are reluctant to hand out tickets as they do not want to be in court for the big debate. They figure if you want to smash your head, it is your prerogative. I could be totally wrong and the customers just BSing and full of bravado. But that is what I heard a few times. The governing bodies that babysit us and help us along for our own protection and safety most likely count on you not showing up for your court date, especially if you are hunting far from home.
Personally I will take the atv no helmet ticket if the CO is so inclined, then deal with it in court. Tie the courts up with ridiculous junk and they may wise up, LOL.
Tullfan
Old 11-13-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
FWIW Safety aside. I ride my quad a couple times a year. Hunting mostly early spring bear,l ow speed nothing dangerous or difficulty, or just recovery if I have an animal down and mainly for the winch.
That being said I ride and work in the motorcycle industry. Helmet all the time. It's just common sense and safer for your noggin. Now having a few customers that do not wear helmets and try to bait law enforcement with the whole safety vs religion thing. Seems the police are reluctant to hand out tickets as they do not want to be in court for the big debate. They figure if you want to smash your head, it is your prerogative. I could be totally wrong and the customers just BSing and full of bravado. But that is what I heard a few times. The governing bodies that babysit us and help us along for our own protection and safety most likely count on you not showing up for your court date, especially if you are hunting far from home.
Personally I will take the atv no helmet ticket if the CO is so inclined, then deal with it in court. Tie the courts up with ridiculous junk and they may wise up, LOL.
Tullfan
I believe that it's everyone's choice. I'd like to say that I wear one all the time, but in reality I usually don't when I'm loading the quad in the truck (and that's probably when I need it most "in case").

However, what I truly believe is that IF you choose not to wear one and have a skull cracking moment, why does Johnny Public have to foot the bill for your "choice"? If you choose to not wear a helmet / seatbelt and become a vegetable for the rest of your life, why does the public have to support you throughout? I'd love to argue this face to face over someone's religious rationale and explain that I shouldn't have to pay for their religion, as I don't pay for anyone's religion....

Oh, to have the ability to say to someone wanting my money GFYH....

J.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300WSM View Post
I'll start my own hunting religion and it will be a non issue
The church of the outdoors... meet's regularly outdoors near you... Perfect! Official religious headdress... Baseball cap, touque, cowboy hat, or balaclava.

Last edited by abhunter8; 11-14-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:10 AM
Banned

Helmets I've seen are for vegetarian hunters