Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2018, 07:59 PM

Default Alberta crime

The criminals arent scared. If they are on your property, stealing your hard earned stuff, you should be able to protect your property how you see fit. Period.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Could it be the larger percentage of rural residents? Rural crime is really on the increase.
Maybe. It is certainly true that those of us who live in cities have a much greater chance of police intervention than those in rural areas.

The original link shows that crime rates are much higher in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta compared to east or west of us. Yukon, NWT and Nunavut are even higher. (I just looked at 2017 to make it easier.)

The relatively low populations in those areas must have something to do with the statistics.

Your suggestion about rural crime rates may apply to Saskatchewan where the overall rate is higher than the rates for Regina or Saskatoon. However, smaller cities with high rates may account for that (see Maclean's below). It doesn't work for Alberta, where the rates for Edmonton and Alberta are almost the same.

BTW the crime rate in Calgary is much lower, comparable in fact to some cities in Ontario. Could there be a difference in reporting? Maybe the rest of us should ask them for lessons .

From another point-of-view Maclean's (https://www.macleans.ca/canadas-most...us-places-2019) uses a Crime Severity Index so the data are not directly comparable. They show North Battleford as the most dangerous place in Canada with a high index and increasing crime. However, I don't think they include rural areas.

It is clear that Saskatchewan and Alberta have serious crime problems compared to the rest of (southern) Canada. If our country were not being run from Ontario, led by a guy from Montreal, the politicians might be forced to do something about it. (Am I allowed to make this kind of comment on this forum? Seriously.)
Old 11-08-2018, 09:08 AM

Friend’s elderly grandmother just got robbed at knifepoint for her mid 2000’s Ford truck is Wetaskiwin last night. She’s okay though. Place is rough!
Old 11-08-2018, 09:08 PM

The other problem is many people just don't report crimes anymore. Only when a person has to go through insurance. Police don't have time to investigate a lot of crimes that happen, and even trying to report them is difficult. Wife's car got broke into at our house and I went in to report it, they wouldn't even give me the paperwork to fill out as it wasn't my car. You have to have your wife come in a report it I was told. She wasn't going to miss work to report it as nothing was going to be done about it anyway. If people could just report easily online, or on a phone app, then we would have real crime stats.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
The other problem is many people just don't report crimes anymore. Only when a person has to go through insurance. Police don't have time to investigate a lot of crimes that happen, and even trying to report them is difficult. Wife's car got broke into at our house and I went in to report it, they wouldn't even give me the paperwork to fill out as it wasn't my car. You have to have your wife come in a report it I was told. She wasn't going to miss work to report it as nothing was going to be done about it anyway. If people could just report easily online, or on a phone app, then we would have real crime stats.
The best way to deal with this problem is to make your own law. SSS
Old 11-08-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
Maybe. It is certainly true that those of us who live in cities have a much greater chance of police intervention than those in rural areas.

The original link shows that crime rates are much higher in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta compared to east or west of us. Yukon, NWT and Nunavut are even higher. (I just looked at 2017 to make it easier.)

The relatively low populations in those areas must have something to do with the statistics.

Your suggestion about rural crime rates may apply to Saskatchewan where the overall rate is higher than the rates for Regina or Saskatoon. However, smaller cities with high rates may account for that (see Maclean's below). It doesn't work for Alberta, where the rates for Edmonton and Alberta are almost the same.

BTW the crime rate in Calgary is much lower, comparable in fact to some cities in Ontario. Could there be a difference in reporting? Maybe the rest of us should ask them for lessons .

From another point-of-view Maclean's (https://www.macleans.ca/canadas-most...us-places-2019) uses a Crime Severity Index so the data are not directly comparable. They show North Battleford as the most dangerous place in Canada with a high index and increasing crime. However, I don't think they include rural areas.

It is clear that Saskatchewan and Alberta have serious crime problems compared to the rest of (southern) Canada. If our country were not being run from Ontario, led by a guy from Montreal, the politicians might be forced to do something about it. (Am I allowed to make this kind of comment on this forum? Seriously.)
Coincidentally, North Battleford and Wetaskiwin have a lot in common, and that could be why the crime rate is so high in both locations.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
And how exactly do you figure that? I seriously beg too differ.
Job market sure isn't very strong around this area, and besides forestry, it has always been oil/gas driven
Downtown Calgary has been hit very hard, and isn't showing great signs of recovery yet. So not sure where these "lots" of jobs are

And the second comment, I expect Ralphie may have been a little more "persuasive" than to just quit buying wine from BC for a short time to get a pipeline to tidewater
I believe all the jobs are at mickey d's, wendys, subway, timmies etc etc.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
I believe all the jobs are at mickey d's, wendys, subway, timmies etc etc.
Teachers, govt employees........
Old 11-09-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
In Calgary you can report it online, very simple process, but like the internet, it goes somewhere into cyberspace and is used for statistics. I've been broken into so many times and reported all of them, never heard back for any of the instances
Old 11-09-2018, 03:49 PM

https://globalnews.ca/news/4644259/c...edium=Facebook

Just finished reading this article . One guy has 62 outstanding warrants and 211 between the rest of them . something Very Very wrong with the current system
Old 11-09-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
The criminals arent scared. If they are on your property, stealing your hard earned stuff, you should be able to protect your property how you see fit. Period.

Good idea. What could go wrong?
Old 11-09-2018, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Good idea. What could go wrong?
The system self correct's itself?

No one would want that, the status quo is perfect.