Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2018, 05:39 AM

If leaders with integrity were still in office, this would be a no brainer.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
This is a good article and really hits close to home.
We Calgarians, at our very core, are entrepreneurs, builders, leaders, and innovators. In dark times, we help each other and dig deep to overcome anything. At the worst of times, our ambition, determination and proactiveness persevere. So when did we lose our soul as a community? When did our heart as a city stop beating? Everywhere I go in Calgary today, I hear a tremendous amount of negativity, cynicism and indifference. So, I am sounding the alarm bell — it is time to wake up Calgary! Amidst the recent political confusion around Calgary’s Olympic and Paralympic bid, we run the risk of losing an opportunity to rebuild and redefine our city and ourselves. Many of you are concerned about the economics of the games. I share your concerns and there is no question that the economic case has been poorly communicated. But funding has been secured and now federal, provincial, and municipal finances will leverage contributions from the International Olympic Committee. This funding will help support and create over 15,400 jobs (full-time equivalents), generate about $1 billion of additional labour income, and an estimated 25,000 volunteer opportunities. If you still have concerns about budget overruns, bear in mind that Calgary 2026 will be the first Games utilizing Agenda 2020, a new set of guidelines released by the IOC to utilize already-existing facilities rather than building brand new ones. Because of the legacy infrastructure from the 1988 Olympics, Calgary already has 87 per cent of the facilities required to host the Games. We Calgarians invented the term “on time and on budget.” But this is about more than just the Olympic and Paralympic Games. The Games create a beacon for Calgary and will help reignite the soul of our city. Perhaps these benefits are less tangible and quantifiable than the economic case — but that does not make them less important. In showcasing our city, province and country to the world, we will also be broadcasting our entrepreneurial spirit, our diversity, our talents, our strengths and our ambitions. The Games will constitute an important part of our legacy and will bestow upon future generations almost innumerable benefits by encouraging them to reach higher and elevate all of us in doing so. To our industry leaders, I urge you to stand up and support the Olympic bid. In past recessions, industry has stood with Calgary and committed to investing in our community. I implore our industry leaders to get engaged. You are not just executives of your company, you are leaders in your community. To our political leaders, I beg you to put citizens first. To our municipal leaders, roll up your sleeves and get it done! Don’t just raise our taxes and our municipal debt, but be innovative in how you spend our dollars. You told us we can host the Olympics in a fiscally responsible way, now prove it. We need the petty infighting to stop, and we need you to lead and inspire us. Give us hope. Give us leadership. To our federal government, Calgary and Alberta have been there for all Canadians, and it is time you are there for us! To you, my fellow Calgarians, I ask you to join me and fight for an opportunity in front of us. Don’t let this be a plebiscite on city hall. This isn’t about them. This is about us. This is about who we are as Calgarians. We get things done. We have hosted the world before and have done it better than anyone, and we can do it again. To those on both sides of the Calgary 2026 debate, I simply cannot remain silent as I see an opportunity that could bolster our economy and restart our pulse. This is about more than the Olympic and Paralympic Games. This is about the future and soul of our city. Doug Mitchell, national co-chair, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, is a former commissioner of the Canadian Football League, former NHL governor for the Calgary Flames and is a member of the Order of Canada.

Why does Calgary need to rebuild and redefine itself?, we already defined ourselves and who we are long ago and we are pretty awesome already thank you very much!, Calgary and Calgarian's are already highly respected around the world, we don't need to change anything to impress anyone.

In fact talk of redefining Calgary is nauseating, i refuse to be(lie)ve that Calgary is suffering from an identity crisis, what's next wanting Calgary to identify as Sanfrancisco? I'm not buying it sorry not sorry.

Last edited by ReconWilly; 11-10-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Why does Calgary need to rebuild and redefine itself?, we already defined ourselves and who we are long ago and we are pretty awesome already thank you very much!, Calgary and Calgarian's are already highly respected around the world, we don't need to change anything to impress anyone.

In fact talk of redefining Calgary is nauseating, I'm not buying it sorry not sorry.
Yup, the post was full of a boat load of touchy feelie fluffy dribble but short on substantive proof. It makes it sound like we're on our last legs here in cowtown and we need to fund a party for a bunch of aristocrats from around the world to justify our existence.

It so millennial, it's all about the flash, little about the substance. It's not about what you are at your core, it's about the image you can project of yourself.

Calgarians and Calgary will do just fine without the Olympics, trust me, we won't wither away and die.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
We Calgarians, at our very core, are entrepreneurs, builders, leaders, and innovators. In dark times, we help each other and dig deep to overcome anything. At the worst of times, our ambition, determination and proactiveness persevere. So when did we lose our soul as a community? When did our heart as a city stop beating? Everywhere I go in Calgary today, I hear a tremendous amount of negativity, cynicism and indifference. So, I am sounding the alarm bell — it is time to wake up Calgary! Amidst the recent political confusion around Calgary’s Olympic and Paralympic bid, we run the risk of losing an opportunity to rebuild and redefine our city and ourselves. Many of you are concerned about the economics of the games. I share your concerns and there is no question that the economic case has been poorly communicated. But funding has been secured and now federal, provincial, and municipal finances will leverage contributions from the International Olympic Committee. This funding will help support and create over 15,400 jobs (full-time equivalents), generate about $1 billion of additional labour income, and an estimated 25,000 volunteer opportunities. If you still have concerns about budget overruns, bear in mind that Calgary 2026 will be the first Games utilizing Agenda 2020, a new set of guidelines released by the IOC to utilize already-existing facilities rather than building brand new ones. Because of the legacy infrastructure from the 1988 Olympics, Calgary already has 87 per cent of the facilities required to host the Games. We Calgarians invented the term “on time and on budget.” But this is about more than just the Olympic and Paralympic Games. The Games create a beacon for Calgary and will help reignite the soul of our city. Perhaps these benefits are less tangible and quantifiable than the economic case — but that does not make them less important. In showcasing our city, province and country to the world, we will also be broadcasting our entrepreneurial spirit, our diversity, our talents, our strengths and our ambitions. The Games will constitute an important part of our legacy and will bestow upon future generations almost innumerable benefits by encouraging them to reach higher and elevate all of us in doing so. To our industry leaders, I urge you to stand up and support the Olympic bid. In past recessions, industry has stood with Calgary and committed to investing in our community. I implore our industry leaders to get engaged. You are not just executives of your company, you are leaders in your community. To our political leaders, I beg you to put citizens first. To our municipal leaders, roll up your sleeves and get it done! Don’t just raise our taxes and our municipal debt, but be innovative in how you spend our dollars. You told us we can host the Olympics in a fiscally responsible way, now prove it. We need the petty infighting to stop, and we need you to lead and inspire us. Give us hope. Give us leadership. To our federal government, Calgary and Alberta have been there for all Canadians, and it is time you are there for us! To you, my fellow Calgarians, I ask you to join me and fight for an opportunity in front of us. Don’t let this be a plebiscite on city hall. This isn’t about them. This is about us. This is about who we are as Calgarians. We get things done. We have hosted the world before and have done it better than anyone, and we can do it again. To those on both sides of the Calgary 2026 debate, I simply cannot remain silent as I see an opportunity that could bolster our economy and restart our pulse. This is about more than the Olympic and Paralympic Games. This is about the future and soul of our city. Doug Mitchell, national co-chair, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, is a former commissioner of the Canadian Football League, former NHL governor for the Calgary Flames and is a member of the Order of Canada.
In so many words that is the same sales pitch drivel they said about Vancouver and every other olympics. If it is the case why are they having so much trouble getting cities and nations to host them. What does that tell us? Sure it may temporarily increase some peoples spirit, those who get caught up in the frenzy and can afford it, on the other hand it does much to disgust and demoralize the other half of the population. Saying the olympics are not for the elites depends on a subjective definition of the word elite, for those that can afford to go fine, but for those who cannot which is the vast majority that won't be able to afford to enjoy them in person, yet they are expected to suffer another tax increase for something that is already financially unattainable to them. Something is seriously wrong when over 50% of Canadians are within $200 of not being able to pay their monthly bills and 1/3 of Canadians are currently unable to keep up with their bills and spiraling further into debt see this as absolutely catering to the elite. The people championing the Olympics are out of touch with the economic realities of the average rank and file Canadian.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:52 AM

Our Liberal money spending mayor cant get rid of our taxes fast enough. If you think the slogan "let there be another boom, I wont **** it away this time" only applies to the oil business: think again, as that's exactly whats happening to this city. Taxed to death, business's are falling like flies.
BUT WAIT the mayor has your back! With a knife in it!!
Lets add to the debt were in already and host an Olympics, we will figure it out after the spending is done.
With another knife in the ready by our learned friend the spendaholic mayor.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:58 AM

I see the IOC has already added Italy to the list of potential candidates, in spite of no national support. Only reason could be they figure Calgary won't fly.

Hans
Old 11-10-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
This is a grass roots article not paid out of the $33 million one sided support fund and really hits close to home. It is an alternative perspective to the above.

We in Calgary are a great, generous and thoughtful group made up of diverse backgrounds and careers. Our charitable giving is strong even in our darkest economic depressions.

We come together to support each other when ever needed (ie. floods).

So when did we start believing that supporting a party to the financial benefit of a corrupt and elitest group like many feel the IOC has to come at the cost of common sense and practical needs of Calgarians become defined as losing our soul as a community? When did we stop helping each other, volunteering, donating to charity, working hard at our jobs to consider saying that our heart as a city stopped beating? Answer is we haven't. Everywhere I went in Calgary this week I heard a drive for positive change...stop paying for a party and short term wasted fixes on aging infrastructure. Put the money towards new infrastructure would of made more practical financial sense. People wanted facts not emotion and a sign that this bid was not put together in a sneaky and misleading way. So why did no one call Whistler? So, I am sounding the emergency alarm bell — don't be lulled to sleep by false promises of no additional debt, sudden influx of economic benefit (other countries are not seeing that anymore)! Amidst the ongoing "political confusion around Calgary’s Olympic and Paralympic bid", we run the risk of misinformation and mis-allocation of funds that will not provide a lasting opportunity to "rebuild and redefine our city and ourselves". Everyone should be concerned about the massive economic debt associated with the games otherwise we would all be having $10,000 christmas dinners at home...high five'ing each other after turkey and heading to the bank to sign the loans forms. Even this author above shares your concern and the reason justification was poor was because they can't. It has been proven the last Olympics in Calgary was the last to cover it's costs. Since then it has ruined communities hence most first world countries are backing out of hosting. Funding has not been secured as they needed fancy accounting to drop costs commensurate with dropping financial support from the province. NO ONE IS INSURING AGAINST COST OVERRUNS OTHER THAN THE CITY OF CALGARY TAX PAYERS. When have costs ever come on budget with an Olympic make over? Never. There is no proof of job creation and a fair bit will need to come from outside of Calgary in which Calgary will not see any tax benefits. A huge cost will be security. The vast majority need guns (so police and army likely sources) and will need to be paid from outside Calgary to stay here and provide protection for people and venues.

Sure...volunteering is great and is an experience but 25,000 volunteers won't get a rebate on the increased taxes to pay for the party. Yes...we all should have "concerns about budget overruns" and guidelines are ONLY guidelines setting minimum requirements of the IOC. It has nothing to do with once they start looking closely at the Saddledome that they say oops...looks like we need a redo because putting a billion into a facility makeover that helps it last another 5-10 years is a waste of money. Some of the highest costs and biggest busts are the ski jumps (outdated), down hill (need Whistler apparently), Saddledome (falling apart) Poor review of costs to date does nothing to placate the fear that this will work. Calgarians DID NOT invent the term “on time and on budget” as following a detailed project planning model is what gets you there. Right now based upon that model we are at the +/- 100% of proposed cost.

But hey...this is more about a dream and a party for a few than really about worrying about horrible economic debilitating debt on a city already struggling under a mayor and council that LOVES spending and a province that LOVES driving away the oil industry.

Common sense saying no creates the best beacon for Calgary and the world by signifying that if the IOC wants games in first world countries they need to balance the costs and revenues to the benefit of all and not just themselves.

Every day we are "showcasing" our city and if you want to attract world attention fix the pipelines and lower taxes to drive immigration back to Alberta.

We don't need a 17 day party and a 15 + year hangover after. To our political leaders, I beg you to put citizens first and VOTE NO! To our municipal leaders, roll up your sleeves and get your day to day work done and improve efficiency inside the city! Don’t raise our taxes and our municipal debt PERIOD. You need to stop asking for money money and then walk away saying trust us...we are wiser than you on how to spend it. You have not proven to be fiscally prudent nor put reasonable effort into providing balanced information on this bid. I hope you will think again and lead us away from this taxing course.

"To our federal government, Calgary and Alberta have been there for all Canadians, and it is time you are there for us!" Agreed...and that means build the pipelines Trudeau! The loss the Olympics will cause to tax payers pales in comparison to the billions you are costing all Canadians in lost value by giving away our future to the US. As for my city of Calgary, just don't be swayed by a party like yesteryear. That era came and went and the new IOC era is massive debt and headaches. Vote no so city council knows our economic prosperity is worth more than a legacy party for a mayor. Vote no to the Olympic 2026 committee to say all the wiggle speak and lack of details and debt overrun and planning is not fixed by saying trust me. Vote NO to a 17 day party and in turn say yes to wise spending on long term needed infrastructure!
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 11-10-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:42 AM

Olympic Costs average 8.9 Billion last 6 Olympics.

“Why Study Cost and Cost Overrun at the Olympics?
Given that the six most recent Olympic Games, held over the decade 2004-2014, have cost on average USD 8.9 billion – not including road, rail, airport, and hotel infrastructure, which often cost more than the Games themselves – the financial size and risks of the Games warrant study. Furthermore, a focus on cost overruns as compared to the original budget is critical for future host cities to understand the implications of the investment they are undertaking. As part of bidding for hosting the Games, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) requires host cities and governments to guarantee that they will cover any cost overruns to the giant Olympics budgets. This means that the host city and nation are locked in to a non-negotiable commitment to cover any such increases. If overruns are likely this should clearly be taken into account in planning for the Games to get a realistic picture of the final outturn costs.
Moreover, given the current global economic climate and subsequent tightening of government spending in many countries, understanding the implications of major investments like the Games is critical for governments to make sound fiscal and economic decisions about their expenditures. For instance, cost overrun and associated debt from the Athens 2004 Games weakened the Greek economy and contributed to the country's deep financial and economic crises, beginning in 2007 and still playing out almost a decade later (Flyvbjerg 2011). Similarly, in June 2016 – less than two months before the Rio 2016 opening ceremony – Rio de Janeiro's governor declared a state of emergency to secure additional funding for the Games. When Rio decided to bid for the Olympics, the Brazilian economy was doing well. Now, almost a decade later, costs were escalating and the country was in its worst economic crisis since the 1930's with negative growth and a lack of funds to cover costs. Other countries – and especially those with small and weak economies – may want to make sure they do not end up in a similar situation by having a realistic picture of costs and risks of cost overruns before they bid for the Olympic Games. The data presented in this paper will allow such assessment.
Unfortunately, Olympics officials and hosts often misinform about the costs and cost overruns of the Games. For instance, in 2005 London secured the bid for the 2012 Summer Games with a cost estimate that two years later proved inadequate and was revised upwards with around 100 percent. Then, when it turned out that the final outturn costs were slightly below the revised budget, the organizers falsely, but very publicly, claimed that the London Games had come in under budget (BBC 2013). Such deliberate misinformation of the public about cost and cost overrun treads a fine line between spin and outright lying. It is unethical, no doubt, but very common. We can therefore not count on organizers and governments to provide us with reliable information about the real costs and cost overruns of the Olympic Games. Independent studies are needed, like the one presented here”.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...B-aGCObRpDLOR9
Old 11-10-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Olympic Costs average 8.9 Billion last 6 Olympics.

“Why Study Cost and Cost Overrun at the Olympics?
Given that the six most recent Olympic Games, held over the decade 2004-2014, have cost on average USD 8.9 billion – not including road, rail, airport, and hotel infrastructure, which often cost more than the Games themselves – the financial size and risks of the Games warrant study. Furthermore, a focus on cost overruns as compared to the original budget is critical for future host cities to understand the implications of the investment they are undertaking. As part of bidding for hosting the Games, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) requires host cities and governments to guarantee that they will cover any cost overruns to the giant Olympics budgets. This means that the host city and nation are locked in to a non-negotiable commitment to cover any such increases. If overruns are likely this should clearly be taken into account in planning for the Games to get a realistic picture of the final outturn costs.
Moreover, given the current global economic climate and subsequent tightening of government spending in many countries, understanding the implications of major investments like the Games is critical for governments to make sound fiscal and economic decisions about their expenditures. For instance, cost overrun and associated debt from the Athens 2004 Games weakened the Greek economy and contributed to the country's deep financial and economic crises, beginning in 2007 and still playing out almost a decade later (Flyvbjerg 2011). Similarly, in June 2016 – less than two months before the Rio 2016 opening ceremony – Rio de Janeiro's governor declared a state of emergency to secure additional funding for the Games. When Rio decided to bid for the Olympics, the Brazilian economy was doing well. Now, almost a decade later, costs were escalating and the country was in its worst economic crisis since the 1930's with negative growth and a lack of funds to cover costs. Other countries – and especially those with small and weak economies – may want to make sure they do not end up in a similar situation by having a realistic picture of costs and risks of cost overruns before they bid for the Olympic Games. The data presented in this paper will allow such assessment.
Unfortunately, Olympics officials and hosts often misinform about the costs and cost overruns of the Games. For instance, in 2005 London secured the bid for the 2012 Summer Games with a cost estimate that two years later proved inadequate and was revised upwards with around 100 percent. Then, when it turned out that the final outturn costs were slightly below the revised budget, the organizers falsely, but very publicly, claimed that the London Games had come in under budget (BBC 2013). Such deliberate misinformation of the public about cost and cost overrun treads a fine line between spin and outright lying. It is unethical, no doubt, but very common. We can therefore not count on organizers and governments to provide us with reliable information about the real costs and cost overruns of the Olympic Games. Independent studies are needed, like the one presented here”.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...B-aGCObRpDLOR9
Sadly people get promised unreasonable expectation then greed sets in and they follow like sheep.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-10-2018, 12:25 PM

As well it’s not really a Calgary Olympics if you want to have a large amount of events in another province . I haven’t heard anything from those other host towns and cities are going to contribute other than use of facilities and sharing in the infrastructure money. Hockey in Edmonton, curling in red deer and alpine events at whistler. None are official but all have been talked about . Nenshi called Calgary next half baked and this Olympic stuff is way worse .
Old 11-10-2018, 12:38 PM

It's been stated a few times hockey will not be held in Edmonton. I know the whole skiing thing in BC is in my mind crazy. The one province holding up the pipeline, and we are going to hand them a chance to profit off "our games"?
Wish the city would just say there will be a new arena, there will be a major overhaul of McMahon. All these possibilities of what might happen is horrible for people to make a decision on.
Like usual we all here the negatives and complaints. What are some of the up sides you guys can think of with the games?? There would be jobs created building new and fixing up old venues. +
If a new arena / stadium happen put's the Flames situation in better position, and then after maybe we would start seeing more concerts here again. Not passed up due to a old poor roof design.+,
Yes would cost but some areas would bring $$ into the city +.
The 88 games were a hell of a good time, so yes the party is good also.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:46 PM

For what its worth, it is a huge waste of time and money, all the millennials think that money grows on trees.

From what I gather even Calgarians are stuck with huge tax bills because the downtown is vacant so lets throw the Olympics on top of it, I don't think they are going to fill the towers down town

Glad I don't live there.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:08 PM

Of course there would be some positive things, likely an arena . I would love for my kids to have the chance to see it. It’s been a really bad presentation for the most part which is probably why all of the reaction seems negative.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Sadly people get promised unreasonable expectation then greed sets in and they follow like sheep.
The Sheep need a new Shepherd. Inform them.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
The Sheep need a new Shepherd. Inform them.
Exactly. Cost overruns will be horrible.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:22 PM

I suspect a lot of the yes people see the Olympics as a way of getting the new arena they covet. If so it is pretty small of them.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-10-2018, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimus View Post
Of course there would be some positive things, likely an arena .
Not at the cost as it been presented so far. That would be over and above. Likely at another 1/2 billion or more. and who's paying for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimus View Post
I would love for my kids to have the chance to see it.
At what cost? Is there an upper limit you'd pay in increased taxes from 3 levels of government for your kids to see it.

In the long run it'd likely be cheaper to take them to Europe to see the 2026 games plus they'd get a trip they'd remember for a lifetime out of it. And the rest of us would save a fortune.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I suspect a lot of the yes people see the Olympics as a way of getting the new arena they covet. If so it is pretty small of them.
Just a guess but I assume you are like most, that think the only reason some want a new arena is Only for the Flames and hockey??
I for one want a new arena as majority of concerts, and a lot of entertainment don't come to Calgary as the dome is not capable of what they need.
Hockey yes is what it's known for but there is other events that take place in there.
Calgarians miss out on a lot currently.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Not at the cost as it been presented so far. That would be over and above. Likely at another 1/2 billion or more. and who's paying for that?

At what cost? Is there an upper limit you'd pay in increased taxes from 3 levels of government for your kids to see it.

In the long run it'd likely be cheaper to take them to Europe to see the 2026 games plus they'd get a trip they'd remember for a lifetime out of it. And the rest of us would save a fortune.
Not worth it no , of course not. I figured that would be fairly obvious by the negative comments I posted earlier. If one were to look for positives those would be two I would see.