Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 10:23 AM

Default Rattling for Whitetail

Hey All. Was chatting with a buddy of mine about rattling for whitetails. Would mid October be to early/ineffective to rattle in bucks? Or have you had success doing this?
Old 10-17-2018, 10:40 AM

I tend to wait till the first week of NOV. Starting mid oct might educate them or throw them off.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:44 AM

i would have to agree

BH

Old 10-17-2018, 10:49 AM
Banned

I would start right now.

I was out last weekend and watched two little bucks sparring. I don’t think it will have the same effect as like on November 10th say, but it won’t hurt. I also watched a muley buck posturing up and chasing away a smaller buck from some does.

Generally I see muley’s start into rutting activity a little earlier than whitetails, but I don’t remember seeing it the first or second week of October.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:53 AM
Banned

I have rattled quite a few bucks in October...........but all of them with the exception of 1 were on the smaller side.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:02 AM

my observations have been that the younger bucks will 'play' spar. The older boys don't play, and wait till things get serious. A tickle here and there may get a reaction, but the hard clashes and bush stripping is a ways off.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:28 AM

If you’re just after any buck go for it, if you are holding out for older more mature bucks I’d say wait till the last week of October minimum, first week of November ideally. Do what feels right to you and enjoy your time in the woods!
Old 10-17-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
A tickle here and there may get a reaction, but the hard clashes and bush stripping is a ways off.
This!
Old 10-17-2018, 12:01 PM

I've had better luck using a grunt tube in October than rattling...
Old 10-17-2018, 12:07 PM

I’d do it light so you don’t intimidate any plus maybe a bigger buck will come check it out. They’re starting to spar and mess around so.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc77 View Post
Hey All. Was chatting with a buddy of mine about rattling for whitetails. Would mid October be to early/ineffective to rattle in bucks? Or have you had success doing this?
Nope rattled many in this time of year, light sparring, rake the bushed etc...my sons first bow kill came late September going this.

Grunting too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-18-2018, 11:56 AM

We've had several bucks sparring on camera over the past couple weeks. It would stand to reason a little rattling wouldn't be a bad thing.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:09 PM

I rattled in 5 bucks all at once last weekend
Old 10-18-2018, 06:28 PM

Default Rattling for whitetail.

I love rattling deer. It’s my favorite way to hunt them. The last several bucks I’ve taken have been rattled in. If I could pick one day of the year to rattle, it would be Rememberance Day.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:44 PM

Never rattled in a deer. Have tried almost every season starting in late Oct ending on the last day of hunting season. Just dont get it....

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 10-19-2018, 12:45 AM

Bucks start sparring as soon as they are out of velvet and still bachelored up.By the time Nov rolls around,the local pecking order is well established.Labor day weekend I watched two hard antlered 150-160 class bucks push each other around for 20 minutes while a 3rd 140 in velvet went about his business munching on late planted canola 20 yards away from his 2 buddies.
I rattle throughout October and all season long beginning Oct 1st,although that said,I’ve had my best rattling successes around the middle 2 weeks of November.
Again,the local pecking order is well established early on with typically light sparring and posturing,but when bucks start wandering far and wide in November and “strangers” show up on another dominant buck’s turf,that’s when the more aggressive clashing and all out brawls take place,and why rattling is generally much more effective then.....but it doesn’t hurt at all to try some light rattling beginning opening day of bow season,it’s a perfectly natural behaviour and sound.
I don’t rattle a whole lot in October,but it’s a rare day that I go deer hunting without packing my antlers along in case I take the notion to try to shake things up and make something happen.Never fails when I don’t bring them I’ll wish I did when it’s a still evening and everything just feels right....I’d rather have em and not need em then need em and not have em.
FWIW I also arrowed my personal best archery buck on Oct .7th one year only minutes following a loud,20-30 second sequence of long drawn out tending grunts,a 150+ 6x6 and 2 does popped out on the opposite side of powerline ROW looking for the noise and he came right straight across on a mission <20 yards from my treestand.....thwack!!
Point being.....when deer hunting,it never hurts to sound like a deer.😜
Old 10-19-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Bucks start sparring as soon as they are out of velvet and still bachelored up.By the time Nov rolls around,the local pecking order is well established.Labor day weekend I watched two hard antlered 150-160 class bucks push each other around for 20 minutes while a 3rd 140 in velvet went about his business munching on late planted canola 20 yards away from his 2 buddies.
I rattle throughout October and all season long beginning Oct 1st,although that said,I’ve had my best rattling successes around the middle 2 weeks of November.
Again,the local pecking order is well established early on with typically light sparring and posturing,but when bucks start wandering far and wide in November and “strangers” show up on another dominant buck’s turf,that’s when the more aggressive clashing and all out brawls take place,and why rattling is generally much more effective then.....but it doesn’t hurt at all to try some light rattling beginning opening day of bow season,it’s a perfectly natural behaviour and sound.
I don’t rattle a whole lot in October,but it’s a rare day that I go deer hunting without packing my antlers along in case I take the notion to try to shake things up and make something happen.Never fails when I don’t bring them I’ll wish I did when it’s a still evening and everything just feels right....I’d rather have em and not need em then need em and not have em.
FWIW I also arrowed my personal best archery buck on Oct .7th one year only minutes following a loud,20-30 second sequence of long drawn out tending grunts,a 150+ 6x6 and 2 does popped out on the opposite side of powerline ROW looking for the noise and he came right straight across on a mission <20 yards from my treestand.....thwack!!
Point being.....when deer hunting,it never hurts to sound like a deer.😜
Like ..
Old 11-09-2018, 10:18 AM

Default How to rattle whitetail

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
Never rattled in a deer. Have tried almost every season starting in late Oct ending on the last day of hunting season. Just dont get it....
So I've been reading here for a while, thought I'd chime in with my experiences. I live in Edmonton and have been hunting for 35 years. I've rattled in TONS of bucks over the years. I absolutely works once you "get it". The first few times I tried rattling it was like "this is a total farce". Nothing seemed to work.

Two of the most important pieces of information on rattling is LOCATION & WIND. By location I mean you have to 'know' there are buck(s) in the area, where they are generally bedding up or traveling and where their main scrapes are. By WIND I mean windy days don't work. Also you have to approach the spot from down wind, you can't let them scent you.

So here is my advice and I can tell you with 100% certainty that if you try this, you will rattle in a whitetail buck:

1) Know the land you're on. Know that there actually are bucks bedded up in the timber you intend to enter.
2) Enter from down wind. Bigger bucks get bigger for a reason: They ain't stupid. If they smell you entering, you're done. Forget it. Go home.
3) Enter quietly. If you can't enter quietly, walk in still-hunting mode, stopping every 20 yards or so and listening. Every 5th or 6th stop, grunt a bit. I've actually walked up on bucks bedded up in timber during the day by entering the bush in that way that was otherwise impossible to enter quietly.
4) Know roughly where main scrapes are located (not boundary scrapes) that are used annually. Many many bucks use the same scrapes, it's like they all communicate that way with each other. So if trying to rattle in Oct, know where last years main scrapes were located.
5) Set up to rattle about 150 yards DOWN WIND of said scrapes. I have never had success rattling right in a scrape. Nor have I had success rattling just in the bush where there is sign. You have to be close to but not right in their kitchen.
6) Anticipate the buck approaching from down wind of you. More times than not they use the wind. Ya, you'll hear stories of a buck that came charging in, and it has happened to me, but the odds are highly tilted toward them using the wind. Therefore, setup where down wind will provide some type of opening in the timber so you can visually see him approaching. Some big boys sneak in so quiet it's like you wonder where they came from, so having a visual helps.

My sequence that works:
1) Once in your spot, let the woods quiet down a bit.
2) First rattle: Tickle the antlers. Don't need to hammer them right off the bat because there could be deer within earshot that don't need the intensity. Wait 20 mins.
3) Hammer the antlers. Stomp and break bush while rattling. Rattle for 25 seconds or so, then wait 15 seconds, let out 2 -4 quiet grunts.
4) Wait 30 mins
5) Repeat #3 above as many times as you feel.

The biggest fault beginners make is over rattling. The energy expended by bucks fighting is incredible and deer can't fight every 2 mins in an hour straight. Over rattling just scares them off.

I've rattled deer in by just taking my antlers out of the back pack and they tickled together. I've also rattled deer in by hammering for 3hrs and a buck finally showed. I feel like he entered the area while I was there for 3 hours, so I don't believe he was listening to me for that long. It's one of those things you get a feel for after doing it. I'd say if you sat for 1.5 hours doing 3 or 4 sequences and nothing shows, move on.

Now one last point, which is quite important.
EVERY deer is different and every time you rattle your results will be different from the previous experience. Be prepared for the unusual approach, they may sneak in, they may gallop in, they may grunt back and never show..... it's really an unpredictable thing. Just to give some real life experiences in what I've seen:

- One of the first bucks I rattled in many years ago came in loud. Clearly he wanted to be heard. But because it was my first time doing it, it confused me. Deer only pu$$y foot, or so I thought. After putting the antlers down and hearing the footsteps I was convinced it was another hunter. I sat hunkered next to a spruce tree listening, shaking my head in disgust. As he approached (took about 15 mins), I was so convinced that another hunter was being an idiot that I stood up, leaving my bow on the ground, to give him an earful..... only to see 15 yards away from me a beautiful 5x5. I completely felt like a fool. I looked at him, he turned and looked at me. It was just one of those moments that you don't forget because of how my own perception of how it should be affected my actions. "Deer only sneak in", I was told. I have NEVER heard a deer come in that loud, but this guy wanted to be heard because it was his area and he was not happy.

- Another time I was rattling and I could hear a buck approaching but he wouldn't show. He stayed about 75 yds in the bush hammering trees with his head gear. I kept rattling my sequence, and he kept hammering the trees. I never did see him after hours of this going on, but once done I did go and investigate the sign to prove that it was a buck. Still don't know how big.

- Another time I was rattling and it was completely quiet. Didn't hear anything. It was so still that I decided after 1.5 hours that it was time to go. As I moved a bit, I heard a twig snap about 30 yds to my right. So I sat longer, but no movement. I decided to hammer the antlers one last time and during my rattling, a small 4x4 buck came bouncing out of the trees and jumped literally on my lap. No word of a lie, he was 3 feet from me, head down, neck hair gristled up, as we looked at each other eye to eye. It was, without a doubt, the closest I have ever had a buck come in. After about 2 wiffs of me and 3 seconds of eye contact, he turned and booked.

Sometimes you will know there are bucks in the area but they won't show. If they are with a doe and she's hot, he has no interest in fighting for a piece of tail when he already has one. In that vain, sometimes does will come in to a rattle and bring a horny buck with them, but I've only had that happen twice. Most of the time you have to focus your technique toward bringing in a buck that is alone. If he's with a doe, don't take it personally and don't think you're not doing it right. He's just not interested in fighting others when his prize is right beside him.

I will post some some info again here to help enlighten on rattling.

I've had naysayers call me a delusional fool and say rattling doesn't work, so I've taken them out to prove otherwise. Rattling absolutely does work but so much of it is in the preparation (wind and location). Just waking into the timber, without knowing it, and rattling is very low odds of results.

Good luck.

Last edited by jimmy2time; 11-09-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:48 AM

I'm headed out Wednesday to my cabin going to strictly rattle for whitetails for whole 8 days as I have my elk already I will keep a running update for the people that have never Rattle one in plus I have 2 go pro cameras that hopefully I'll catch some good footage good luck all

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2018, 11:11 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I'm headed out Wednesday to my cabin going to strictly rattle for whitetails for whole 8 days as I have my elk already I will keep a running update for the people that have never Rattle one in plus I have 2 go pro cameras that hopefully I'll catch some good footage good luck all

Awesome. I'll try to do the same over the next few weeks.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:53 PM

Just wanted to add to my earlier post about rattling:

I have found morning to be the best time by far. Evening has worked for me, but not as good. Mid day is totally hit and miss. I've rattled mid day, knowing more than 1 buck is bedded close by, and had no response.

I usually rattle first light and into mid morning in a second location if I move, but no longer even try in the afternoon. Just seems like the odds of success fall after the morning. You also have a distinct advantage getting to your location in the morning, as deer won't be as alarmed if they hear movement in the morning when most other animals are moving also. Trying to get into a location quietly in mid day when deer are bedded is really tough.

Last edited by jimmy2time; 11-09-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:21 PM

This morning I was out with the bow, I haven't hunted much with the bow this year but had 1/2 a day to myself and the bow zone is closer to home. I was in my blind early with a plan to rattle just after first light, just before first light a buck goes cruising by in search of something. He was about 60 yards but there wasn't any shot, I had antlers and a grunt tube but decided to let him pass to hopefully bring him back in. He never showed up after I rattled, I think his nose was down to the ground.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
He never showed up after I rattled, I think his nose was down to the ground.
Yup, when they're trucking down their scrape line like that, it may not be easy to turn him around!
Old 11-10-2018, 12:13 AM

I rattled 2 bucks in last weekend on separate occasions with a rattle bag.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2time View Post
So I've been reading here for a while, thought I'd chime in with my experiences. I live in Edmonton and have been hunting for 35 years. I've rattled in TONS of bucks over the years. I absolutely works once you "get it". The first few times I tried rattling it was like "this is a total farce". Nothing seemed to work.

Two of the most important pieces of information on rattling is LOCATION & WIND. By location I mean you have to 'know' there are buck(s) in the area, where they are generally bedding up or traveling and where their main scrapes are. By WIND I mean windy days don't work. Also you have to approach the spot from down wind, you can't let them scent you.

So here is my advice and I can tell you with 100% certainty that if you try this, you will rattle in a whitetail buck:

1) Know the land you're on. Know that there actually are bucks bedded up in the timber you intend to enter.
2) Enter from down wind. Bigger bucks get bigger for a reason: They ain't stupid. If they smell you entering, you're done. Forget it. Go home.
3) Enter quietly. If you can't enter quietly, walk in still-hunting mode, stopping every 20 yards or so and listening. Every 5th or 6th stop, grunt a bit. I've actually walked up on bucks bedded up in timber during the day by entering the bush in that way that was otherwise impossible to enter quietly.
4) Know roughly where main scrapes are located (not boundary scrapes) that are used annually. Many many bucks use the same scrapes, it's like they all communicate that way with each other. So if trying to rattle in Oct, know where last years main scrapes were located.
5) Set up to rattle about 150 yards DOWN WIND of said scrapes. I have never had success rattling right in a scrape. Nor have I had success rattling just in the bush where there is sign. You have to be close to but not right in their kitchen.
6) Anticipate the buck approaching from down wind of you. More times than not they use the wind. Ya, you'll hear stories of a buck that came charging in, and it has happened to me, but the odds are highly tilted toward them using the wind. Therefore, setup where down wind will provide some type of opening in the timber so you can visually see him approaching. Some big boys sneak in so quiet it's like you wonder where they came from, so having a visual helps.

My sequence that works:
1) Once in your spot, let the woods quiet down a bit.
2) First rattle: Tickle the antlers. Don't need to hammer them right off the bat because there could be deer within earshot that don't need the intensity. Wait 20 mins.
3) Hammer the antlers. Stomp and break bush while rattling. Rattle for 25 seconds or so, then wait 15 seconds, let out 2 -4 quiet grunts.
4) Wait 30 mins
5) Repeat #3 above as many times as you feel.

The biggest fault beginners make is over rattling. The energy expended by bucks fighting is incredible and deer can't fight every 2 mins in an hour straight. Over rattling just scares them off.

I've rattled deer in by just taking my antlers out of the back pack and they tickled together. I've also rattled deer in by hammering for 3hrs and a buck finally showed. I feel like he entered the area while I was there for 3 hours, so I don't believe he was listening to me for that long. It's one of those things you get a feel for after doing it. I'd say if you sat for 1.5 hours doing 3 or 4 sequences and nothing shows, move on.

Now one last point, which is quite important.
EVERY deer is different and every time you rattle your results will be different from the previous experience. Be prepared for the unusual approach, they may sneak in, they may gallop in, they may grunt back and never show..... it's really an unpredictable thing. Just to give some real life experiences in what I've seen:

- One of the first bucks I rattled in many years ago came in loud. Clearly he wanted to be heard. But because it was my first time doing it, it confused me. Deer only pu$$y foot, or so I thought. After putting the antlers down and hearing the footsteps I was convinced it was another hunter. I sat hunkered next to a spruce tree listening, shaking my head in disgust. As he approached (took about 15 mins), I was so convinced that another hunter was being an idiot that I stood up, leaving my bow on the ground, to give him an earful..... only to see 15 yards away from me a beautiful 5x5. I completely felt like a fool. I looked at him, he turned and looked at me. It was just one of those moments that you don't forget because of how my own perception of how it should be affected my actions. "Deer only sneak in", I was told. I have NEVER heard a deer come in that loud, but this guy wanted to be heard because it was his area and he was not happy.

- Another time I was rattling and I could hear a buck approaching but he wouldn't show. He stayed about 75 yds in the bush hammering trees with his head gear. I kept rattling my sequence, and he kept hammering the trees. I never did see him after hours of this going on, but once done I did go and investigate the sign to prove that it was a buck. Still don't know how big.

- Another time I was rattling and it was completely quiet. Didn't hear anything. It was so still that I decided after 1.5 hours that it was time to go. As I moved a bit, I heard a twig snap about 30 yds to my right. So I sat longer, but no movement. I decided to hammer the antlers one last time and during my rattling, a small 4x4 buck came bouncing out of the trees and jumped literally on my lap. No word of a lie, he was 3 feet from me, head down, neck hair gristled up, as we looked at each other eye to eye. It was, without a doubt, the closest I have ever had a buck come in. After about 2 wiffs of me and 3 seconds of eye contact, he turned and booked.

Sometimes you will know there are bucks in the area but they won't show. If they are with a doe and she's hot, he has no interest in fighting for a piece of tail when he already has one. In that vain, sometimes does will come in to a rattle and bring a horny buck with them, but I've only had that happen twice. Most of the time you have to focus your technique toward bringing in a buck that is alone. If he's with a doe, don't take it personally and don't think you're not doing it right. He's just not interested in fighting others when his prize is right beside him.

I will post some some info again here to help enlighten on rattling.

I've had naysayers call me a delusional fool and say rattling doesn't work, so I've taken them out to prove otherwise. Rattling absolutely does work but so much of it is in the preparation (wind and location). Just waking into the timber, without knowing it, and rattling is very low odds of results.

Good luck.

^ That right there is what this forum is all about. Thanks for the awesome info! I’ll be putting that into practice next weekend.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
^ That right there is what this forum is all about. Thanks for the awesome info! I’ll be putting that into practice next weekend.
x2 thanks for the great info
Old 11-11-2018, 11:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

I had five different bucks poke around yesterday from sun up,to sun down just came around but not looking for a scrap....rattling, doe bleats periodically but more grunting.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-11-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post

X3 - thank you for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2018, 11:53 AM

x4. thanks for the time and effort with the help. good luck out there.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

Well I got up this morning found a really nice spot scene 1 Buck didn't rattle anything in but I had a rattle bag tomorrow I'm taking the horns they just sound better stay tuned