Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2018, 03:25 PM

Default Had To Put my DOG Down

I read these posts and I never thought it would be HARD, but to-night I am wrong.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:34 PM

Sorry to hear. They're like family to many of us.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:27 PM

Sorry to hear. I can only imagine how you feel, when my little guy goes, I will be way down in the dumps.

Get another one you will feel better.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:10 PM

Been there a few times, it gets better. Google Rainbow Bridge. Take care.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:12 PM

Sorry for your loss, dogs can be very dear to our hearts.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-12-2018, 05:15 PM
Banned

I have been there a few times as well. What’s always helped me through is getting back up on that horse and get yourself a new pup.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:25 PM

My condolences Rastus. Went through the same thing many years ago. A dog is part of the family, and losing him was very tough.

We did not get another dog, as my wife had gone back to work, I was a shift worker, and the dog would have been alone too much.

Thinking of another dog now that I am retired and would have the time to spend with him.

Mr Conservation
Old 10-12-2018, 05:37 PM

Condolences man.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:38 PM

Very sorry to hear. I have an older dog and I know his time is coming. Very hard to deal with but in many ways having them suffer is not good either. Making that decision is hard as they become family. All the best.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:41 PM

Dogs are family. Condolences

BW
Old 10-12-2018, 05:42 PM

Very sorry to hear. Has to be one of the hardest things to do is to put them down.

Condolences.....
Old 10-12-2018, 05:42 PM
AO Sponsor

Had to do the same think a couple month back. Still brings a tear to my eye when I sit and think about it. Sorry for your loss sir...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-12-2018, 05:51 PM

Default Best friend gone

Sorry to hear that I have been there before and it is hard I had to get another dog to replace the ones I lost good luck
Edge
Old 10-12-2018, 06:03 PM

Takes a lot to put your friend down, it shows how much you loved that critter. Its easy to spend thousands to put it through hell for our selfish reasons but nothing but love to relieve its pain when it’s time to put it down. Always remember your friend is no longer suffering and for that be grateful. You are a true animal lover and a great owner!!
Old 10-12-2018, 06:06 PM

6.5 months and I still get a tear in my eye thinking of my best friend, Rocky. Don't cry because your friend is gone, be happy that you were lucky enough to be their friend. So sorry for your loss.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:56 PM

Can't even imagine what your going through, really sorry to hear.

I like most dogs more than I like most people.

I'm going to be a train wreck when it's my turn.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:02 PM

Sorry to hear, it's a tough one for sure. I got another dog and he's a lovable goof, but still miss my last guy.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-12-2018, 08:17 PM

I'm relaxing with my 1 year old retriever right now. Stories like this break my heart. They truly are a best friend. My condolences.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:43 PM

Sorry for your loss, we lost our guy last October. It is still hard to think about. They are family. Hope you can find happiness remembering all the good times.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:06 PM

Sorry about your loss, stories like that are heart breaking and reminder that they will not always be with us. Not many people understand the bond we have with our dogs.

I always tell me kids since the pup was small and they were, if you have any secrets sit down with Simba and tell him. They bonded so well together and he became their protector when I am not around.

When the time is right give another pup a good family.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:15 PM

Got nothing to add to the above great posts.

Going to give duke an extra treat and pet tonight.

Take care.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:36 PM

Tough man, I don't look forward to my best friends last breaths...

Look back on your time together and if your ready, accept a new addition to your pack.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:27 PM

Sorry to hear.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 10-13-2018, 07:12 AM

Sorry for your loss, the day I dreaded for 18 years came last year on Dec. 19 when I put my Lucy down, it takes time to heal things will get better.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:52 AM
Banned

Feel you pain. Always been a cat guy myself. When my first one had to be put down at 18yrs I knew it was the right thing to do but had no idea how hard it would be. They put him to sleep while I held him and my wife had to drive home because I couldn't see through the tears.
Got another one right away because the kids (4&2) were so distraught.
That was 14 years ago and there are still time that when I call the new cat (not exactly new at 14) I use the old cats name.
I grew up with him (the first) and after all these years he still hits my thoughts.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:33 AM

Sorry for your loss, Rastus. It is heart breaking going through what you are.

I know how devastating it is. Put our black lab down on September 5th due to health problems that came on quick and we are still devastated. Had him for over 10 years and we weren't ready to let him go, but in the end it was really the only thing that we could do for him. We talk about him every day and miss him like crazy.

It was the hardest thing that I've ever had to do, I don't doubt that it is high on your list too. I hope you have lots of pictures, videos and above all fond memories to help you remember your friend as time goes on.

This comes up a fair amount on here, so hopefully this won't be considered a derail, but we used a mobile veterinarian to come to our house, do a quality of life consultation and provide us with a professional opinion before we decided for certain that it was his time. I sent all of his records over to her first and she came prepared and was excellent. She looked him over, thoroughly, talked with us extensively and it helped give us peace of mind knowing that we were making an appropriate decision, albeit heartbreaking. She euthanized him at home and he passed in my arms. It was hard to do, but having him comfortable at home was more important to us than the money saved by having to take him on a 1 way trip to the vet. It was also good for us to be at home during that time. Another vehicle showed up an appropriate time later after we said our goodbyes and took him to be cremated. We had his ashes back about a week later. For those of you who are extremely attached to your dogs this may be an option for you when the time comes (Hopefully a long time from now!).

Hang in there, Rastus. From our home to yours, we're sorry for your loss.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:18 AM

I believe the overwhelming sadness is in proportion to the happiness your friend gave you for all of their years. I help dull the feeling of loss by starting a young dog when the senior dog is fading. Right now I have a 15 mo. old pup and the 13 yr old queen of the roost.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:20 PM
Banned

Its always seems easy until you find yourself in such situation. I have been through it and i can tell exactly how you are feeling. My best wishes.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:43 PM

Tough thing to go thru . Part of you're family. Grieve a little then go get a new pup. I've put down 3 of them and we just got our 4th pup. They all were special to us.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:21 PM

My condolonces, and getting another pup is about the best medicine.

Unlike somebody who posted "google the rainbow bridge" I suggest not doing so. I discovered it was very tough reading, and it took me a long time to be able to get through it. Every time I did I had trouble reading for some reason.