Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2018, 05:04 PM

Back to Anthony!

There but for the grace of god go I . Rip
Old 06-08-2018, 05:32 PM

Left behind a 11 year old kid......sorry crew I am judging.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchammer View Post
Left behind a 11 year old kid......sorry crew I am judging.
Kate Spade as well. 14 year old daughter. I was thinking the same thing. But I think if depression is that strong, that deep it’s doesn’t matter. People start thinking others are better off without them. It’s just sad.

Look at how many are mourning them now. Still they thought their lives are not worth living...

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 06-08-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i highly doubt that.

i'm putting my money on a long and extensive history of drug abuse being the problem.
You're 100% wrong on both points. Ask many, MANY in the psychiatric field what antidepressants can do to a person.

6 months to kick in and 6 years to get off. Horrible drugs.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:51 PM

Really sad reading the news of Bourdain's passing this morning. One would think the man had everything to live for but depression is a mean disease.

RIP Anthony. Many will miss you.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
I had no idea who he was or what he did so i went looking and found this to be interesting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ByfEOQKjV2E
Didn't know of him till this, you just never know.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:28 PM

I used to love him when he started but he lost me when he started expressing his political views and anti-gun stance. I thought he was out of line when he said live on CNN that he would poison Trump he was asked to cook for him. Trump must be laughing now!
Old 06-09-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellero View Post
I used to love him when he started but he lost me when he started expressing his political views and anti-gun stance. I thought he was out of line when he said live on CNN that he would poison Trump he was asked to cook for him. Trump must be laughing now!

Bourdain was shooting and hunting in episodes from Maine and Newfoundland so I've got no idea where you got the "anti gun" statement from. Posterior perhaps.

As far as his Trump comments he was far from alone.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Bourdain was often in videos with Ted Nugent shooting all sorts of weapons, not sure about his anti-gun stance. Either way it’s sad to see a life end like this, the man was a great talent and will be greatly missed.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
You're 100% wrong on both points. Ask many, MANY in the psychiatric field what antidepressants can do to a person.

6 months to kick in and 6 years to get off. Horrible drugs.
No. If a mental health professional says medication is the way to go take the medication.

Stick to your low paying job please
Old 06-09-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
No. If a mental health professional says medication is the way to go take the medication.

You clearly have no understanding about these drugs and how harmful they can be in the long term. But you must be a doctor with your high paying job so what do I know.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:

OK doctor.

Because medical professionals would never prescribe medication that wasn't warranted. Noooooooo.

Stick to commenting where you have at least miniscule knowledge of the facts please. I'm sure there's something.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I think a lot of it is anti-depressant medications messing people up. People medicating their kids when their behavior is difficult, etc, etc. The most miserable people I know have all been medicated for years. Perhaps one should not be seeking an in-between level of numbness, but instead embrace their natural highs along with the natural lows? The unnatural lows either from medication or withdrawal from it are not good for anyone.

The local news stations do not report on suicides unless it was too public to avoid (say self-inflicted GSW at a shooting range or leaping off a pedestrian bridge into the path of a semi-truck on Deerfoot). Keeping it quiet quells the copycats, but now with celebrities going at it all the time its front and centre and others follow suit. Same goes with the mass shootings down there, the excess media coverage makes things snowball by encouraging more to follow the same path.
i was having a conversation with a fellow at the rec center and he told me the samething, we were talking university student and the reading week , has to do with keeping the copycats away , but he mention its a privacy issue , also the police don't mention victims name anymore unless it may help solving the crime ....
Old 06-09-2018, 11:16 AM

I'm not saying medication should be ruled out, and I'm positive it works for ALOT of people.

But...it is DEFINITELY over prescribed, and often mis-prescibed. It's often the first option, when really it shouldn't be.

I have first hand experience with 2 very close family members who meds were a big problem for. It caused more harm than good and they weren't "better" (relative) until they were off the meds, and man, that was tough to watch.

I'm sure meds work for a lot of people, but meds can be a real rough ride for just as many people.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:06 PM

Once again, I must be living in a cave as I have never heard of this person, but judging by the over abundant media coverage he must have been an outstanding individual.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Plenty of episodes of him shooting guns and hunting, he wasn't scared to get blood on his hands
Old 06-09-2018, 02:12 PM

The toxicology results will probably explain it.
My thinking is his mind was altered...prescription or not.

Gonna really miss his show. One of the few I actually pvr'd and looked forward to watching. RIP Tony.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post

I'm sure meds work for a lot of people, but meds can be a real rough ride for just as many people.
Exactly, especially when you watch the adds on tv for many of these drugs there is often a disclaimer that when taking these medications to consult your doctor and stop taking the medication if feelings of depression worsen or you have thoughts of suicide. It works for many people but it can also make things worse for some people.

A lot of people use different doctors not always telling them they are already on medication for depression, anxiety, etc and get different prescriptions on top of prescriptions they are already taking that don't work well together, often counteract each other, often as not make things worse. Some of the cocktails of drugs some people including children are taking are unreal.

These drugs can be a double edged sword. They probably have caused as many people to kill themselves as they have saved.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:17 PM

If you have cancer or leukemia or know of someone who has, you know the pain and suffering people go thru to live another day.
Spend a couple hours with kids fighting for their life and what they go thru
just to see another day.
Personally I have no sympathy for anyone that commits suicide.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:09 PM

Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes! I sympathize with mr bourdain.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:32 PM

too bad about anthony bourdain. i thought maybe he was too successful, not sure if he could be the real anthony bourdain, or whos the real anthony bourdain, totally wrong maybe but that was my first thought, also he was an addict, which shows character weakness. i personally could not have overcome my addiction without recognizing my character weakness, although A.A. will not face that. dont take prozac, i never did but ive seen its bad. r.i.p. anthony bourdain
Old 06-09-2018, 08:44 PM

Personally I have no sympathy for anyone who has no sympathy.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
“I should’ve died in my 20s. I became successful in my 40s. I became a dad in my 50s. I feel like I’ve stolen a car –a really nice car– and I keep looking in the rearview mirror for flashing lights. But there’s been nothing yet” - Anthony Bourdain
Prophetic to say the least....apparently something from that rear view mirror did catch up. May he Rest In Peace.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevarm guy View Post
Personally I have no sympathy for anyone that commits suicide.
Brain is just another organ, lots of **** can go wrong with it, no different than heart, liver, or any other organ. Obviously you have no clue about mental illness. You better hope you never get one.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:29 PM

Having had to deal with a number of suicides each year of promising young adults and significant depression with a couple of close family members I have a lot of sympathy for what people with chronic depression go through and the lack of help from our medical system.

This is a bit of a long read. It was posted by people concerned over mental health. The author wants to remain anonymous

"When you have depression it’s like it snows every day.

Some days it’s only a couple of inches. It’s a pain in the ass, but you still make it to work, the grocery store. Sure, maybe you skip the gym or your friend’s birthday party, but it IS still snowing and who knows how bad it might get tonight. Probably better to just head home. Your friend notices, but probably just thinks you are flaky now, or kind of an *******.

Some days it snows a foot. You spend an hour shoveling out your driveway and are late to work. Your back and hands hurt from shoveling. You leave early because it’s really coming down out there. Your boss notices.

Some days it snows four feet. You shovel all morning but your street never gets plowed. You are not making it to work, or anywhere else for that matter. You are so sore and tired you just get back in the bed. By the time you wake up, all your shoveling has filled back in with snow. Looks like your phone rang; people are wondering where you are. You don’t feel like calling them back, too tired from all the shoveling. Plus they don’t get this much snow at their house so they don’t understand why you’re still stuck at home. They just think you’re lazy or weak, although they rarely come out and say it.

Some weeks it’s a full-blown blizzard. When you open your door, it’s to a wall of snow. The power flickers, then goes out. It’s too cold to sit in the living room anymore, so you get back into bed with all your clothes on. The stove and microwave won’t work so you eat a cold Pop Tart and call that dinner. You haven’t taken a shower in three days, but how could you at this point? You’re too cold to do anything except sleep.

Sometimes people get snowed in for the winter. The cold seeps in. No communication in or out. The food runs out. What can you even do, tunnel out of a forty foot snow bank with your hands? How far away is help? Can you even get there in a blizzard? If you do, can they even help you at this point? Maybe it’s death to stay here, but it’s death to go out there too.

The thing is, when it snows all the time, you get worn all the way down. You get tired of being cold. You get tired of hurting all the time from shoveling, but if you don’t shovel on the light days, it builds up to something unmanageable on the heavy days. You resent the hell out of the snow, but it doesn’t care, it’s just a blind chemistry, an act of nature. It carries on regardless, unconcerned and unaware if it buries you or the whole world.

Also, the snow builds up in other areas, places you can’t shovel, sometimes places you can’t even see. Maybe it’s on the roof. Maybe it’s on the mountain behind the house. Sometimes, there’s an avalanche that blows the house right off its foundation and takes you with it. A veritable Act of God, nothing can be done. The neighbors say it’s a shame and they can’t understand it; he was doing so well with his shoveling.

-I don’t know how it went down for Anthony Bourdain or Kate Spade. It seems like they got hit by the avalanche, but it could’ve been the long, slow winter. Maybe they were keeping up with their shoveling. Maybe they weren’t. Sometimes, shoveling isn’t enough anyway. It’s hard to tell from the outside, but it’s important to understand what it’s like from the inside.

I firmly believe that understanding and compassion have to be the base of effective action. It’s important to understand what depression is, how it feels, what it’s like to live with it, so you can help people both on an individual basis and a policy basis. I’m not putting heavy **** out here to make your Friday morning suck. I know it feels gross to read it, and realistically it can be unpleasant to be around it, that’s why people pull away.

I don’t have a message for people with depression like “keep shoveling”. It’s asinine. Of course you’re going to keep shoveling the best you can, until you physically can’t, because who wants to freeze to death inside their own house? We know what the stakes are. My message is to everyone else. Grab a ****ing shovel and help your neighbor. Slap a mini snow plow on the front of your truck and plow your neighborhood. Petition the city council to buy more salt trucks, so to speak.

Depression is blind chemistry and physics, like snow. And like the weather, it is a mindless process, powerful and unpredictable with great potential for harm. But like climate change, that doesn’t mean we are helpless. If we want to stop losing so many people to this disease, it will require action at every level." -- End --

At a personal level, part of this message that is at odd's with Health Care providers in Alberta in that when you see a person buried (depressed) and try to help the Health Care system says no -- they have to first dig out on their own. From what I have experienced there are times when people are buried and need someone to start the dig out process for them and support them to the next level. I can say for sure AHS and mental health is not set up around a model of others helping the person that is buried. This is something I cannot figure out. There are times when people need to have a helping hand or support from a friend or family member and our health system is not set up to recognise this. In fact it openly discourages intervention support.

For the people that do not have sympathy once you have to deal with mental health issues within your family or at a personal level your frustration with the system and the lack of care will be an awakening.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:30 PM

The ignorance runs deep on this thread. Never knew AO had so many cereal-box-certified psychiatrists. Sheesh.

Last edited by sns2; 06-10-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:39 AM

One of a very few programs I watched, don't care much about food, but I think he had an interesting personal view on the world and appeared to be an interesting person.
He is the last guy I'd expect to go this way. I don't know how he reasoned this for himself, but there is something really wrong with him taking his own life. RIP.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:09 PM
Banned

Truly sad
Old 06-10-2018, 03:29 PM
Banned

Not a good way to go. RIP Anthony
Old 06-10-2018, 08:32 PM
Banned

Excellent show called Remembering Antony Bourdain on right now on CNN.