Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2018, 08:39 AM

Default RIP Anthony Bourdain

I am heart broken :-(

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 06-08-2018, 08:42 AM

Unhappy Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Sad news, Sad news indeed. Unfortunate that he took his own life. Surely his demons got the better of him or who knows?? He was probably one if not the only one cook, food personality dude that I would make sure I didn’t miss his show since the early 2000’s.
All I can say is WOW!!!
Such a loss. His humour and wit were truly genuine.
Rest in Peace Tony....
Old 06-08-2018, 09:01 AM
Banned

He was an extraordinary man that led a fascinating life from popper poor in his mid 40's to filthy rich, extremely sad news.

It really is tragic the stigma around mental health is so hard to get past. Hopefully it will come around like gender, race, and sexual orientation, it's taken so many lives way too soon.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:04 AM

Celebrity suicide seems to be on the rise.

Hope he is at peace now
Old 06-08-2018, 09:14 AM
Banned

well this is terrible news. i will always share his love of dive bars
Old 06-08-2018, 09:17 AM

Very sad. Loved his shows and his witty sense of sarcastic humor. He will be missed around the world. RIP
Old 06-08-2018, 09:21 AM
Banned

I had no interest at all in any of the cooking shows...except Anthony's.
RIP
Old 06-08-2018, 09:43 AM

Geesh, first I've heard of it right now. I liked the fellow and enjoyed him sticking it to some vegans and people protesting certain foods (perhaps it was natives eating seal or something....?). He was a refreshing change and his show where he'd travel and sample the local fare was intriguing.

Far too many celebrity suicides recently, which shows that financial success and adulation of the public does not make you whole. It begs the question: does the average Joe have it easier? When they commit suicide we don't hear about it unless we knew them personally so the only way to gauge it is government statistics.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:50 AM

I loved the style of his show.

It was great how he'd go to a country that was a traditional "enemy" of the west, and make you wish you were there having a beer and sharing a meal with just great people all over the world.

RIP
Old 06-08-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I had no interest at all in any of the cooking shows...except Anthony's.
RIP
200% Ditto!!!!
Old 06-08-2018, 09:54 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xNwWYLX3H0

This was one of my favourite all time shows.
A true classic!
Old 06-08-2018, 10:01 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Far too many celebrity suicides recently, which shows that financial success and adulation of the public does not make you whole. It begs the question: does the average Joe have it easier? When they commit suicide we don't hear about it unless we knew them personally so the only way to gauge it is government statistics.
I was just reading something saying that suicide rates in North America have increased by 25% over the last few years... I don't think it is celebrities specifically. The world is a messed up place and society is changing in ways many people find difficult to manage. Mental health troubles are on the rise and this all combined imho leads to despair and depression that too many people find is more than they can handle. Extremely sad to think that people feel their lives mean so little and that there is not enough joy to sustain them.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-08-2018, 10:04 AM

Default He was the coolest of the Cool.

“I should’ve died in my 20s. I became successful in my 40s. I became a dad in my 50s. I feel like I’ve stolen a car –a really nice car– and I keep looking in the rearview mirror for flashing lights. But there’s been nothing yet” - Anthony Bourdain

Rest in Peace
Old 06-08-2018, 10:53 AM

That is really sad news. I really enjoyed the variety in his shows and seeing the places he went.

We loose a lot of our very best people to suicide and the true idiots live obliviously and forever.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I was just reading something saying that suicide rates in North America have increased by 25% over the last few years... I don't think it is celebrities specifically. The world is a messed up place and society is changing in ways many people find difficult to manage. Mental health troubles are on the rise and this all combined imho leads to despair and depression that too many people find is more than they can handle. Extremely sad to think that people feel their lives mean so little and that there is not enough joy to sustain them.
I think a lot of it is anti-depressant medications messing people up. People medicating their kids when their behavior is difficult, etc, etc. The most miserable people I know have all been medicated for years. Perhaps one should not be seeking an in-between level of numbness, but instead embrace their natural highs along with the natural lows? The unnatural lows either from medication or withdrawal from it are not good for anyone.

The local news stations do not report on suicides unless it was too public to avoid (say self-inflicted GSW at a shooting range or leaping off a pedestrian bridge into the path of a semi-truck on Deerfoot). Keeping it quiet quells the copycats, but now with celebrities going at it all the time its front and centre and others follow suit. Same goes with the mass shootings down there, the excess media coverage makes things snowball by encouraging more to follow the same path.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:18 PM

"One of my great joys in places that I love, and have come to love, is to sit and watch daily life. You learn so much."
-Anthony Bourdain

RIP Anthony
Even the best job in the world has hidden demons
Old 06-08-2018, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think a lot of it is anti-depressant medications messing people up.
i highly doubt that.

i'm putting my money on a long and extensive history of drug abuse being the problem.

and actually don't tell people that dumb myth. if people need help the last thing you want to do is push them away from it
Old 06-08-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I think a lot of it is anti-depressant medications messing people up. People medicating their kids when their behavior is difficult, etc, etc. The most miserable people I know have all been medicated for years. Perhaps one should not be seeking an in-between level of numbness, but instead embrace their natural highs along with the natural lows? The unnatural lows either from medication or withdrawal from it are not good for anyone.

The local news stations do not report on suicides unless it was too public to avoid (say self-inflicted GSW at a shooting range or leaping off a pedestrian bridge into the path of a semi-truck on Deerfoot). Keeping it quiet quells the copycats, but now with celebrities going at it all the time its front and centre and others follow suit. Same goes with the mass shootings down there, the excess media coverage makes things snowball by encouraging more to follow the same path.
We used to sit around the fireplace and tell stories
but then came radio
and we sat around talking about the radio conversation
but then came tv
and we sat around listening to conversations that we couldn't participate in
then came the internet
and faceless forums
where friends were made we'd rarely meet
and enemies by the bucketful
and then smartphones
and we stared intently at our hands
saying nothing
hearing nothing
reading crap
Old 06-08-2018, 12:33 PM

That sucks. I'll probably never go to most of the places he travelled or eat the foods he ate. I really had nothing in common with him at all, but his show was pretty much my favorite show on tv. Loved his sense of humor
Old 06-08-2018, 12:35 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:

There are so many variables including much of what you pointed out. I personally feel a lot of it in today's day and age is societal. We are going down a road that essentially is eroding away at a persons ability to feel needed and worthy. We are teaching kids that they do not need to resolve issues and instead, pass them off to someone else in authority resolve for them. We are telling them constantly throughout their formative years that they are equal in every way to the kid beside them and they should expect the same treatment (think ribbons for competing even if you don't win, or no kid fails even if their grades are not up to snuff etc). Then when these kids hit the real world, they do not have the skills to compete and succeed and instead end up feeling unworthy.

We also are taking kids and telling them all through school they need to be book smart and learn high tech ways and that being a worker bee is no good. We are taking away practical lesson like mechanics and woodworking and metalworking and leading all these kids that could have a great life working with their hands and trying to pigeonhole them into more academic oriented paths and then they wonder why they are failing. They are not the ones failing... We are failing them but they are the ones left holding the emotional failure bag.

We need to get back to taking kids and helping them excel at where their talents lie rather than trying to make all these little borg robots that short circuit when things fall outside of their understanding of the world.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-08-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i highly doubt that.

i'm putting my money on a long and extensive history of drug abuse being the problem.

and actually don't tell people that dumb myth. if people need help the last thing you want to do is push them away from it

I'll not disagree that some people do need medication and can be helped by it, but I think that it's also equally fair to note that some people are over-prescribed. Some are hypochondriacs. Some might just need exercise and natural endorphins rather than pharmaceuticals. Medicating developing brains is another thing entirely. I have two step-nephews who were both medicated as kids and both are epic messes as adults. I know of others first hand as well, I'm not brainwashed by the Internet because I've never visited any anti-vaxx or similar sites. I'm going on first-person observations here, not online myths.

I'll certainly agree with you regarding drug abuse, both illegal as well as prescription. Alcohol too.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 06-08-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:01 PM

Don't want to turn this into a religious war or anti-religion.

But I also feel like it could be from lack of faith and reason to be alive.
There's so much good in our lives, family, friends, our children, all the memories we make. But then there's all the bad as well, not just the violence and killings. But losing loved ones, wether from natural causes or accidents, those things are depressing. Or just not being happy with yourself for whatever reason.

At least with religion you can have some faith that the next life will be better.
I don't care what religion you follow and how fairytale it may sound, but if you believe in one, it may be all you need to have some faith that if things aren't going well now they will get better, if not in this life, then the next.
Imagine being someone in a war torn country, what would keep you going? Losing a loved one, what would keep you hopeful and strong? It's kinda depressing if you think about it, we just have this life and that's it, we lose everything.
Maybe we need some GOOD religion in our lives.

May he have found peace.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
Don't want to turn this into a religious war or anti-religion.

But I also feel like it could be from lack of faith and reason to be alive.
There's so much good in our lives, family, friends, our children, all the memories we make. But then there's all the bad as well, not just the violence and killings. But losing loved ones, wether from natural causes or accidents, those things are depressing. Or just not being happy with yourself for whatever reason.

At least with religion you can have some faith that the next life will be better.
I don't care what religion you follow and how fairytale it may sound, but if you believe in one, it may be all you need to have some faith that if things aren't going well now they will get better, if not in this life, then the next.
Imagine being someone in a war torn country, what would keep you going? Losing a loved one, what would keep you hopeful and strong? It's kinda depressing if you think about it, we just have this life and that's it, we lose everything.
Maybe we need some GOOD religion in our lives.

May he have found peace.
Respectfully I disagree 100%.

I read this somewhere - and I'm going to paraphrase it because it made a lot of sense to me ....

Those who feel religion (or fairy-tale as you pointed out in your own words) brings happiness and enlightenment and dutifully follow and accept what is being served may, in fact, be victims of an elaborate ruse and, in fact, live the lies they are fed and are never really happy or truly fulfilled.

It's better to accept reality and embrace life with a positive philosophy (sort of like good karma) which results in true happiness and true enlightenment.

Something along those lines - anyways - makes sense to me.

Anthony was a good person. He battled demons all his life and it goes to show us all the money in the world can't bring you happiness until you have exercised your own demons and turned the corner for the betterment (and love) of yourself.

RIP Tony .... going to miss your shows - they were entertaining and (the underlying message) were often very thought provoking.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:56 PM

Trying to hindsight why somebody took their own life is a judgemental (Pharisee?) proposition. None of us were there, we don't know him personally, and have no idea what suffering or mental illness compelled him to take his life. So why speculate and look for an opportunity to expound your own theory or religious perspective? The man killed himself, for his own reasons. Learn to live without knowing why or judging maybe?

I liked his shows, he entertained and expanded my world view. I will miss his show. I suspect his earthly sufferings are over.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-08-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Trying to hindsight why somebody took their own life is a judgemental (Pharisee?) proposition. None of us were there, we don't know him personally, and have no idea what suffering or mental illness compelled him to take his life. So why speculate and look for an opportunity to expound your own theory or religious perspective? The man killed himself, for his own reasons. Learn to live without knowing why or judging maybe?

I liked his shows, he entertained and expanded my world view. I will miss his show. I suspect his earthly sufferings are over.
Only person judging here is you buddy, no one on here said he commited suicide for whatever reason. The discussion turned into what things may be causing the rise of suicide. Not why he commited it.
Did you just want this whole thread to be every user commenting RIP? Read the thread beneath this one, "stop the attacks"

See how I wrote something and EZM respectfully disagreed and stated why? Might want to take note of that.

Anyways... EZM I could understand what you mean. Religion has done me well the past few years and it's just a theory of mine as to why suicide may be on the rise. And as a side note, didn't mean to say religion = fairytale. Meant it as, even if people claim your religion is all fairytales and stories, if it brings your happiness and contentment then go hard! Who cares what others say.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:05 PM

Default Anthony quote

Your body is not a temple. It's a carnival ride . Have fun
Old 06-08-2018, 04:07 PM
Banned

I had no idea who he was or what he did so i went looking and found this to be interesting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ByfEOQKjV2E
Old 06-08-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
Only person judging here is you buddy, no one on here said he commited suicide for whatever reason. The discussion turned into what things may be causing the rise of suicide. Not why he commited it.
Did you just want this whole thread to be every user commenting RIP? Read the thread beneath this one, "stop the attacks"

See how I wrote something and EZM respectfully disagreed and stated why? Might want to take note of that.

Anyways... EZM I could understand what you mean. Religion has done me well the past few years and it's just a theory of mine as to why suicide may be on the rise. And as a side note, didn't mean to say religion = fairytale. Meant it as, even if people claim your religion is all fairytales and stories, if it brings your happiness and contentment then go hard! Who cares what others say.
Pretty sure I'm not your buddy. But carry on.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-08-2018, 04:55 PM

Listen here pal who you calling buddy! Lol
Old 06-08-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
Listen here pal who you calling buddy! Lol
I'm not your pal, friend!