Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
I would be fine, any experience is good but I just don't have any luck finding a summer student job, unless it is taking care of the garden center at Costco.
Have you tried calling construction companies and telling them you are a Construction Management student who needs a summer job and are willing to work at a reduced rate in order to get some experience? Probably your best bet to get relevant experience. If you have contacts with any certain companies start there as it is by far your best bet.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Gloszz, you need to clear out your inbox - was trying to PM you.
All cleaned out spick n span!
Old 05-15-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I would be fine, any experience is good but I just don't have any luck finding a summer student job, unless it is taking care of the garden center at Costco.
Beats sitting at home!
Old 05-15-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Beats sitting at home!
^This!

When I moved here, I had just wrapped up a degree in Accounting/Finance. I was looking for something to tie me over for 4-6 months until recruiting season for my "real" job started. I applied everywhere that I felt I was qualified for and consistently failed to get interviews. Instead of kicking at the dust and feeling sorry for myself, I tossed in an application to be a security guard (akin to the OP's Costco Garden Center reference). I got the interview. 10 minutes into talking with the HR manager, she left the office, grabbed one of the Directors, and pulled him into the room. By the end of that interview I was offered a position in head office.

My point in all of this is frank; swallow your pride. Apply to something you know you can get with a position above it, in the same organization, that you know you could do well (I'm not advocating that you apply for a dead-end job with no upward mobility). Get into that lower level position and show them your work ethic. Have conversations with people there and find ways to eventually work your technical background into conversation.

Spending the next 4 months doing nothing is going to look a hell of a lot worse on your resume than doing something (anything).
Old 05-15-2018, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Beats sitting at home!
Not really. I would spend more gas to get to a 3 hour shift an de its only till mid June so not much. I would rather help my mom in the garden and around the house. There is a difference between wanting a job just to have one like many people do when they are retired, and needing a job to save up for yourself so you can move out and live life.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:10 PM

I'm a little confused...in your OP you didn't mention anything about a summer job...only that you lost your job...the title says "Job/Career".
You have also said that your wife lives in Texas and you are planning to move to the US as soon as you get your Green Card. Not really sure what you are expecting. If an employer is looking to invest in a new hire, they certainly won't want to spend the time/effort/money to train someone up who is planning to leave the country. Are you looking for a summer job only? If so, expect it to be a Costco, Home Depot, Gardening type of thing. You can't really put "Helped mom with her gardening" on a resume/CV. Believe it or not, showing on a resume that you are doing anything you can does make a positive impression.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump View Post
^This!

When I moved here, I had just wrapped up a degree in Accounting/Finance. I was looking for something to tie me over for 4-6 months until recruiting season for my "real" job started. I applied everywhere that I felt I was qualified for and consistently failed to get interviews. Instead of kicking at the dust and feeling sorry for myself, I tossed in an application to be a security guard (akin to the OP's Costco Garden Center reference). I got the interview. 10 minutes into talking with the HR manager, she left the office, grabbed one of the Directors, and pulled him into the room. By the end of that interview I was offered a position in head office.

My point in all of this is frank; swallow your pride. Apply to something you know you can get with a position above it, in the same organization, that you know you could do well (I'm not advocating that you apply for a dead-end job with no upward mobility). Get into that lower level position and show them your work ethic. Have conversations with people there and find ways to eventually work your technical background into conversation.

Spending the next 4 months doing nothing is going to look a hell of a lot worse on your resume than doing something (anything).
This is so bang on. I have a Master's degree and was having trouble finding employment in my field. I ended up working a minimum wage, retail job (albeit in an area I was interested in). During the interview, my interviewer asked if I'd be interested in a management role. While I wasn't, it's a testament to the fact that you never know what can happen. I ended up securing a good position in my field shortly after, but working the retail job kept me busy, enhanced my resume (believe it or not), and just made me feel better in general.

There are a lot of valuable replies in this thread that the OP should really consider. It seems as though he has an excuse per page as to why he can't do this or that. I don't mean to be rude, whatsoever, as it's a common state to be in when the job search isn't going as planned.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Not really. I would spend more gas to get to a 3 hour shift an de its only till mid June so not much. I would rather help my mom in the garden and around the house. There is a difference between wanting a job just to have one like many people do when they are retired, and needing a job to save up for yourself so you can move out and live life.
Obviously he thought the Costco job was a full time job not 3 hr shifts for a couple months...

It shouldn't be hard for you to get some sort of summer work. As mentioned before just leave diplomas and maybe even construction management position off resume when applying.

Or if it is a seasonal position you are applying on make it clear you are looking for summer work because you are going back to school(can do this by word of mouth when dropping off resume or by putting it in an objective statement at the top of your resume). Many companies do like to help summer students out so that can help you find work.

Instead of looking on places like indeed or professional agencies etc where you would find the more professional positions look on places like kijiji. Word of mouth is huge too for these kinds of jobs and many places don't even advertise. I never applied on a job until I got into engineering, I always found my positions through people I knew showed up had a quick chat with owner/manager showed them my resume and walked out with a job. Things were perhaps a bit easier back then but I know lots of those smaller companies are still the same way if they could use help.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Word of mouth is huge too for these kinds of jobs
This is the most important part of this whole thread...

He got laid off (ok, a bit of sympathy here), BUT, he's 25yo expecting a management position. I'm willing to bet (if he was a half decent employee), that his employer offered him a reduced salary/wage, and he said no.

Oh. But he doesn't want to work minimum wage, he'd rather live in the parents basement doing nothing.

Word of mouth is correct. I wouldn't touch this "hire" with a 10ft pole, and that's only using words from "his mouth".

Having A job (even though it is NOT relevant to your career), is much better than having a gap in your resume.

But hey.. What do I know.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
This is the most important part of this whole thread...

He got laid off (ok, a bit of sympathy here), BUT, he's 25yo expecting a management position. I'm willing to bet (if he was a half decent employee), that his employer offered him a reduced salary/wage, and he said no.

Oh. But he doesn't want to work minimum wage, he'd rather live in the parents basement doing nothing.

Word of mouth is correct. I wouldn't touch this "hire" with a 10ft pole, and that's only using words from "his mouth".

Having A job (even though it is NOT relevant to your career), is much better than having a gap in your resume.

But hey.. What do I know.
I love the assumptions. I was working at Costco as a freezer stocker 25 hours a week and got laid off due to my back. I was paid minimum wage and they said that by talking to me they would like to make me a supervisor and a manager later on. There were many things that came into play why I lost my job, but me being lazy and rather sit at home in my moms basement wasn't one of them. I was unable to lift 50-60 lb bags of products for 5 hours straight and I told them. But it seems like management loves to put people through hell first to get a better position. Now that is fine for the regular healthy person but when I was strictly told not to lift heavy things by doctors, and did so anyways just to work and get a better position, then I dunno. That either makes me an idiot or a person that is willing to show his dedication just to get a better offer in house. I lasted 2 months. Probation is 3 months and they laid me off without reason. But that's the way it is. Better to have rotation in a company than have a sick kid. Oh and I can't get disability or EI because I go to school so there's is that as well. I guess I'll just pick bottles to get out of the house and do something to show people I'm not a lazy gamer who sits in a body odour infested basement.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I love the assumptions. I was working at Costco as a freezer stocker 25 hours a week and got laid off due to my back. I was paid minimum wage and they said that by talking to me they would like to make me a supervisor and a manager later on. There were many things that came into play why I lost my job, but me being lazy and rather sit at home in my moms basement wasn't one of them. I was unable to lift 50-60 lb bags of products for 5 hours straight and I told them. But it seems like management loves to put people through hell first to get a better position. Now that is fine for the regular healthy person but when I was strictly told not to lift heavy things by doctors, and did so anyways just to work and get a better position, then I dunno. That either makes me an idiot or a person that is willing to show his dedication just to get a better offer in house. I lasted 2 months. Probation is 3 months and they laid me off without reason. But that's the way it is. Better to have rotation in a company than have a sick kid. Oh and I can't get disability or EI because I go to school so there's is that as well. I guess I'll just pick bottles to get out of the house and do something to show people I'm not a lazy gamer who sits in a body odour infested basement.
And from my experience as a manager, sounds like they were trying to get rid of you (which I don't blame them, judging by your attitude alone).

In today's economy, companies would much rather move people around than train external hires, that is of course, if they were good employees.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
And from my experience as a manager, sounds like they were trying to get rid of you (which I don't blame them, judging by your attitude alone).

In today's economy, companies would much rather move people around than train external hires, that is of course, if they were good employees.
You are right, but not based on my attitude. I was not productive. The manager let me go based on reports that one butthurt employee told her. I have a theory and it is possibly true. I had told one fellow that was supposed to be next in line that I worked as an operations manager and finished Business Management. He most likely felt threatened and upset that they would hire me when he was supposed to be a supervisor. On my report that I later read, there were false claims of me talking instead of working, going on smoke breaks ( I do not smoke), leaving pallets in the bakery, being disorganized and the list goes on. Based on those reports they let me go, as well as my back which did in fact hinder my productivity, and I would not hold anything against them. But you as a manger, should know that there is many more things to a person than how he acts on the internet. Based on that sole fact that you have already assumed how I am without meeting me in person would prove to me you're not a great manager which would explain your attitude to not touch me with a 10 ft pole. Who even says that? Grow up.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:01 AM

Quote:
There are a lot of valuable replies in this thread that the OP should really consider. It seems as though he has an excuse per page as to why he can't do this or that...
This, and it tends to consistently be someone else's fault:

Quote:
... Not really complaining, just kind of weirded me out that right on the government job bank website it was mentioned...
Quote:
...last job I got interviewed for they straight up asked me why are you applying for a freezer sticker with such a resume? ...
Quote:
...It's odd they ask you at an interview and why they care...
Quote:
...I truly think the issue is the economy...
Quote:
... and too many people are educated...
Quote:
...and not enough stay at home parents...
Quote:
...Plus the retirement age is way too high.
Quote:
...no one believed me but seems like that is truly the case. Even though it is illegal, it is still done and it is accepted because the liberals get what they want.
Quote:
...But it seems like management loves to put people through hell first to get a better position...
Quote:
...they laid me off without reason.
Quote:
...manager let me go based on reports that one butthurt employee told her...
Quote:
...He most likely felt threatened and upset that they would hire me when he was supposed to be a supervisor...
Gloszz, I truly am empathetic to your situation and without a doubt there seem to be elements beyond your control (car accident & a factual, suppressed economy) but at a certain point, you gotta stop pointing the finger and figure out what you can do about your situation. It's easy to play the blame game; it's not as easy to do some serious self-reflection. I think this is what JB_AOL was getting at - employers/managers are often looking for the person that believes that they effect change, not someone who shrugs their shoulders in failure and finds the closest person to blame. Your train of excuses/blaming above would tend to demonstrate that you're one of the latter.

If I were you, I'd cap off this thread. I'd find it unlikely that someone reading through this would think, "Here's a good candidate."
Old 05-16-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Who even says that? Grow up.
(Someone who also determines by a single piece of paper (resume), if they are a worthy candidate for our company.. hint..me).

At any rate, it's time for YOU to grow a pair and realize there are thousands of people that are better at your "job" than you are, and you are easily replaceable. At the same time, be humble (which is hard for your generation), and realize those minimum wage jobs are better than nothing.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Cool

Reality hits home sometimes eh! We all have, got, had issues....you need to grunt it out and find your way....there is not app for reality and the real world.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-16-2018, 11:16 AM

I did not look through the whole thread so I do not know where you are located gloszz but I would check out jobs at both the U of A and the U of C on a regular basis. Also the city you live in for city jobs and of course province of alberta and federal government.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:03 PM
Banned

So I got a job and to be quite honest it's not what I wanted but hopefully can build up to a management position from a site coordinator. And to that guy who wouldn't touch me with a 10ft pole, looks like there were many who would considering I got sifted through 3 interviews and a panel of CEO's to get this job. So the consensus is you're a terrible manager as I thought

And wanted to thank all those that were positive and believed in me!
Old 06-08-2018, 08:03 PM
Banned

Some of the most successful people have dropped out of post secondary
Try that
Go get real world experience and get a working mans PHD

It’s not what you know it’s always who you know .
Old 06-08-2018, 08:08 PM

Did you apply into the Alberta Summer Student Jobs program? I was hired onto the prov gov't for the summer this year through it. I believe the only qualifications to be able to apply is to be currently enrolled in a post secondary program.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump View Post

If I were you, I'd cap off this thread. I'd find it unlikely that someone reading through this would think, "Here's a good candidate."

Sage advice right here.

I’ve done my share of hiring for a large corporation and this thread wouldn’t just make walk away, I’d run...
Old 06-08-2018, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Did you apply into the Alberta Summer Student Jobs program? I was hired onto the prov gov't for the summer this year through it. I believe the only qualifications to be able to apply is to be currently enrolled in a post secondary program.
I applied to about 5 positions through them but got this job through indeed.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Sage advice right here.

I’ve done my share of hiring for a large corporation and this thread wouldn’t just make walk away, I’d run...
I must be either lucky, or the corporation I am starting work on Wednesday at is stupid. I don't really feel like naming the company but it is in the top 10 construction builders in the world so maybe I should suggest they retrain their CFO and HR department as that is who hired me after interviewing me...
Old 06-08-2018, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
I must be either lucky, or the corporation I am starting work on Wednesday at is stupid. I don't really feel like naming the company but it is in the top 10 construction builders in the world so maybe I should suggest they retrain their CFO and HR department as that is who hired me after interviewing me...
And everything I learned
I learned by staying at a Holiday INN.

Sounds like you are trying to save face
Old 06-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
And everything I learned
I learned by staying at a Holiday INN.

Sounds like you are trying to save face
Don't understand your comment. Not saving face, just salty a lot of old farts on here think young people are worthless. It isn't our fault y'all ruined the economy and the housing market.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Don't understand your comment. Not saving face, just salty a lot of old farts on here think young people are worthless. It isn't our fault y'all ruined the economy and the housing market.
I don’t understand how a 25 year old has so many diplomas with zero life experience and little job experience says after 3 pages of this thread including reference to poor job performance to now say he has a management job with a top 10 company all of a sudden

And any one with the life experience would get the holiday inn reference.

In other words I call BS

But hey whatever to save face
Old 06-08-2018, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
I don’t understand how a 25 year old has so many diplomas with zero life experience and little job experience says after 3 pages of this thread including reference to poor job performance to now say he has a management job with a top 10 company all of a sudden

And any one with the life experience would get the holiday inn reference.

In other words I call BS

But hey whatever to save face
Miracles!

Not a management job yet... a site coordinator is under a project manager.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Miracles!

Not a management job yet... a site coordinator is under a project manager.
Then good for you
Old 06-09-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Please explain how they ruined the economy? I am not old and I still think that is ignorant.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Please explain how they ruined the economy? I am not old and I still think that is ignorant.
Well who's fault is it? You're right, it's the kids fault who was in a cradle.

Everyone likes to bash millennials. We’re spoiled, entitled, and hopelessly glued to our smartphones. We demand participation trophies, can’t find jobs, and live with our parents until we’re 30. You know the punchlines by now. Baby boomers are conventionally defined as people born between 1946 and 1964. But lets focus on the first two-thirds of boomers because their experiences are pretty homogeneous: They were raised after the war and so have no real experience of trauma or the Great Depression or even any deprivation at all. They basically have been taking everything and now they are shocked at what has happened. Am I the one that was buying up houses with money I didn't have? I don't think so.

I know I'm generalizing here and putting everyone in the same bag, but all I am saying is that we are the way we are thanks to our parents. Now I feel like I was raised well, my parents actually cared for me. My mom raised three kids as a stay at home mom while my dad worked. I was never raised by strangers in a daycare, didn't go out to drink with friends at the age of 14 and never decided to be those cool kids to have sex while dating 40 girls in junior high. Parents neglected their kids by buying them everything they wanted, gave them games and now are surprised that they have no social skills, are angry and depressed. Proof is in the pudding.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:26 AM

My mistake, you obviously do have it all figured out.

I’d wish you luck in all your endeavours but a person of your obvious higher intellect wouldn’t have to rely on luck like most the rest of us.
Closed Thread