Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 07:13 AM

An architectural technology diploma can be useful. My daughter has one. Her first job was with a home builder. She then started as a Planning Services Technician at the City. She eventually moved into a Development Inspector role. The city specifically notes AET diplomas for some of these positions.

Anyway, some good advice given previously. Moving to a smaller place like Fox Creek, etc. would provide more opportunities if you're willing to move. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:24 AM

Lac st Anne County is hiring right now for various positions. Both desk and outdoor jobs. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:41 AM

Lots of good advice on here, and some not-so-good advice.

Think of the job as a girl, you putting it out there that your willing to work but no one is calling you back. You gotta change something.

Phone some of the employers and ask them why you arent considered.

You gotta make yourself stand out, just emailing a resume puts you in the same league with 300 other people.

I used to bring in drafting plans of my previous work to talk about in interview, employers love doing something different.

I know for me, ill take anyone who shows inititive. So many young people today have to be shown exactly what to do and how to do it. Whats the point of hiring someone, when i might as well do it myself?
Old 05-11-2018, 01:17 PM

If you are just in a position to do summer employment then I would suggest just doing any construction job you can get for 4 months. Any administration job you get and then quit after 4 months will likely hurt your career down the road as it takes that long just figure things out and you will burn bridges. More time on the tools will only help down the road.

Simplify your resume to a one pager, apply to all postings on indeed, and visit sites in person with resume in hand and your tools/PPE in the vehicle.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:48 PM
Banned

Seen somewhere that sureway construction looking for hands. Tell them you want to learn to run a scraper. No one wants to run scrapper so they'll probably hire you on the spot.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
When they say that they encourage applications from those groups they are not saying that they are preferentially hiring, just that they will not discriminate.

The job climate is tough out there.

Good luck!
Actually in many cases they are preferentially hiring, just not saying directly, sort of a legal loophole. If they say something to the effect of "all walks of life welcome to apply" the company is covering their own ass publicly but the decision could be in the hands of just one person. The problem is proving you were discriminated against. By hiring a visible minority there are actually government grants you can apply for.
For example the company I work for employs an Iranian. Let me just say she was hired right out of grad school for her skills, it had nothing to do with race, religion ect. After switching accountants last year the company was able to somehow recover 75% of her yearly wages through various grants . I don't know the details of how this works at all but it can and does happen. Any employer that knows how to apply for those grants could quite easily be hiring people based on the knowledge that they could recover large portions of an employee's wage later. Essentially this could translate to paying a visible minority for less than minimum wage at the end of the financial year.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-11-2018, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
If you are just in a position to do summer employment then I would suggest just doing any construction job you can get for 4 months. Any administration job you get and then quit after 4 months will likely hurt your career down the road as it takes that long just figure things out and you will burn bridges. More time on the tools will only help down the road.

Simplify your resume to a one pager, apply to all postings on indeed, and visit sites in person with resume in hand and your tools/PPE in the vehicle.
See I have thought of that but the reason I got an education is so that I can try and have an office job, due to a car accident that had left me with a spinal injury and I cannot work as a concrete guy or anything that puts heavy strain on my spine and hips. Painting was just fine and any other jobs that were physical but didnt require heavy lifting. Most construction jobs require just that.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
See I have thought of that but the reason I got an education is so that I can try and have an office job, due to a car accident that had left me with a spinal injury and I cannot work as a concrete guy or anything that puts heavy strain on my spine and hips. Painting was just fine and any other jobs that were physical but didnt require heavy lifting. Most construction jobs require just that.
That is a tough place to be. I wonder if there would be any coordinator jobs in landscaping that would welcome a student going down your path? I would also hit indeed and search "summer student" and pour through the postings - never know what will pop up. The Government provides incentives for organizations to create summer jobs for students in their field, may find something along those lines if you keep digging, though it may be getting a bit late.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:47 PM

I wish you all the best.

My American hubby has been out of work since September 2016 (he's a mechanic, unpapered). Despite several interviews, here we sit.

He is applying for apprentice HD jobs but still nothing. Also still waiting for the remainder of back pay from the short job he had last year in Nisku that the employer didn't pay him for (he's apparently not the only one waiting for pay, according to Employment Standards).

Looks like we may have to move back to the US.

NRA/NFA Supporter and "...gun toting tea party psychotard..." -
Old 05-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doetracks View Post
I wish you all the best.

My American hubby has been out of work since September 2016 (he's a mechanic, unpapered). Despite several interviews, here we sit.

He is applying for apprentice HD jobs but still nothing. Also still waiting for the remainder of back pay from the short job he had last year in Nisku that the employer didn't pay him for (he's apparently not the only one waiting for pay, according to Employment Standards).

Looks like we may have to move back to the US.
Seems like the USA is the place to be. My wife lives in Texas and I can't go there till I finish school and my Green Card gets processed, but a lot of our friends who finished the same bachelor as I did have no issues getting work. Houston, San Antonio and Dallas are booming! Lots of construction everywhere. If I had my green card I had a paid internship waiting for me in Toledo but yea, can't do anything without a GC haha.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:21 PM

I guess I'm a rare exception to the work force.

I offer my services for free for 2 weeks so they can evaluate whether I fit in with their system.

Why waist your time looking for the job you want when you can have it for free since a person was going to be sitting at home or pounding pavement "trying" to get that job.

I've never been turned down on my offer and they pay me for those days when they find out I'm a team player.

It has nothing to do with Me or I since its all about the team that assist me in being part of the group.

Yes, lots of people won't do this, but I'm not any of those people.

I work for my self even though I'm employed by others,,, it is those others that allows me to employ my self.

Only bring enough to the table for that particular job, don't worry about what others are doing since it is wize to focus on our selves only.

The old saying stands true. Looking for a job or WANT a job.

Be careful with these words.

Good for it since you won't need luck going after what you want.

Don
Old 05-11-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post

I offer my services for free for 2 weeks so they can evaluate whether I fit in with their system.

Why waist your time looking for the job you want when you can have it for free since a person was going to be sitting at home or pounding pavement "trying" to get that job.

I've never been turned down on my offer and they pay me for those days when they find out I'm a team player.

It has nothing to do with Me or I since its all about the team that assist me in being part of the group.

I work for my self even though I'm employed by others,,, it is those others that allows me to employ my self.

Only bring enough to the table for that particular job, don't worry about what others are doing since it is wize to focus on our selves only.

Don
Gigalow? Lol
Old 05-12-2018, 10:43 PM

are you getting interviews? Years ago I had a problem getting a job I had problems in the interview, so I went to every interview I could get even if I knew did not want the job. eventually you will get better at the interview.

we just hired a new guy at work, 90 people applied for one opening.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post

Don
Hey Don, if you don't mind me asking, what industry are you in?

Matt
Old 05-13-2018, 10:12 AM

Tough job climate.a job add for a summer student position as a pool attendant last week in a local paper said 'preferance given to aboriginals visible minorities and refugees' yes the word preference was used and yes I trotted the ad into my mp the next day.thus was in a Saskatchewan paper last week.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:46 AM

I always hate getting preferential treatment. I worked long and hard for my knowledge and experience.

Best of luck in the search.

I'm unsure if you are involved in volunteering at all, but that can provide some unexpected ins in areas.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.m. View Post
are you getting interviews? Years ago I had a problem getting a job I had problems in the interview, so I went to every interview I could get even if I knew did not want the job. eventually you will get better at the interview.

we just hired a new guy at work, 90 people applied for one opening.
No, not a single interview and that is the problem. I just do not know how to fix this issue as I have had my resume and cover letters looked over by people that work as HR for big companies here and the USA and any issues they did find were addressed.

I truly think the issue is the economy, and too many people are educated, and not enough stay at home parents haha. Plus the retirement age is way too high.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post
Tough job climate.a job add for a summer student position as a pool attendant last week in a local paper said 'preferance given to aboriginals visible minorities and refugees' yes the word preference was used and yes I trotted the ad into my mp the next day.thus was in a Saskatchewan paper last week.
That is a shock. Apparently no one believed me but seems like that is truly the case. Even though it is illegal, it is still done and it is accepted because the liberals get what they want.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
No, not a single interview and that is the problem. I just do not know how to fix this issue as I have had my resume and cover letters looked over by people that work as HR for big companies here and the USA and any issues they did find were addressed.

I truly think the issue is the economy, and too many people are educated, and not enough stay at home parents haha. Plus the retirement age is way too high.
Does your resume show that you are a student? There is really not much chance getting an interview for a management job as a student, unless it is through an internship type program. Every job will have an expected duration for retaining an employee. As a student, even less experienced individuals will beat you out for anything not seasonal. It may be that simple.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:33 PM
Banned

It's been a long time since I had to look for a job but I remember my kids looking for work and they pretty much sent resumes out every way except hand delivered. Seems to me they spent a lot of time looking for work but finding very little. I think when all three gained employment it was thru delivering a resume by hand. I don't know if there's any truth to the matter or not but I was told that when you send a emailed resume the computer looks for key words. If those words aren't in it the computer discards the resume.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Are you qualified for the positions you are applying on? Or are those positions asking for a degree or experience that you don't have? With today's economy and number of people available/looking for work if you don't meet the positions requirements the chances of getting an interview are slim.

The main thing that hurts your job search right now is that you said you are going back to school in the fall. That severely limits your options for employment. You might be able to find a company willing to take you on but expect it to be treated like a summer student position and pay as such too.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:30 PM

The job market is truly in bad shape right now. I'm employed but always looking for something better and the resumes I send out get almost zero responses. Employers seem to be looking for people who will work for peanuts and lots of people will too, that doesn't help.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Are you qualified for the positions you are applying on? Or are those positions asking for a degree or experience that you don't have? With today's economy and number of people available/looking for work if you don't meet the positions requirements the chances of getting an interview are slim.

The main thing that hurts your job search right now is that you said you are going back to school in the fall. That severely limits your options for employment. You might be able to find a company willing to take you on but expect it to be treated like a summer student position and pay as such too.
I would be fine, any experience is good but I just don't have any luck finding a summer student job, unless it is taking care of the garden center at Costco.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:10 PM

If you are submitting your resume through Indeed, that may be part of your problem. I know of a few companies (PCL is one) that rarely if ever hires anyone through Indeed. They prefer people to directly submit a resume to them. It shows incentive and not relying on a company to find you a job.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:27 PM

I have 2 kids older and one younger than you, all are doing great, so much so it is rare I think.
Meaning the odds are that at least one should be in your place, still searching, but all has fallen into place for each of them with $80k+ careers.
Just keep at it is all I can say, you’re still young.

TBark
Old 05-14-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
If you are submitting your resume through Indeed, that may be part of your problem. I know of a few companies (PCL is one) that rarely if ever hires anyone through Indeed. They prefer people to directly submit a resume to them. It shows incentive and not relying on a company to find you a job.
Indeed is not a company that goes through the resumes. Its a service for companys to post jobs

The company im with (major heavy equipment dealer) Used indeed to post an add. That is how I applied. When I had the interview he specifically asked if I saw the indeed add as it cost him money to post so he wanted to know if it was working.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:32 PM

U gotta watch out for indeed tho.
All u need to do is say ur a company looking to hire, pay a fee and indeed will give u access to all the resumes, so be aware to have more head-hunters and placement agencies contact you than actual employers.

TBark
Old 05-14-2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Indeed is not a company that goes through the resumes. Its a service for companys to post jobs

The company im with (major heavy equipment dealer) Used indeed to post an add. That is how I applied. When I had the interview he specifically asked if I saw the indeed add as it cost him money to post so he wanted to know if it was working.
Thanks for the explanation. I know how Indeed works.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:54 AM

Summer job. Try fire fighting (forest fire). Join a Rap attack crew. Rappel down choppers, cut landing spot. Moving all the time. When it’s busy, time flies.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:00 AM

Gloszz, you need to clear out your inbox - was trying to PM you.
Closed Thread