Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
Lol, I think you'd find that an overwhelming majority of Albertans would vote to stay if there were ever a referendum on this ridiculous idea. The reasons why it wouldn't happen are too long to list.

Anyone who doesn't want to be a Canadian is free to re-locate to another country.
Right here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
Anyone who doesn't want to be a Canadian is free to re-locate to another country.
Reminds me of the gu.., sorry, person, who is doing a poor job, someone offers insight on how to do the job properly, and buddy yells out the "If you don't like how I'm doing it you can do it yourself!".
Old 02-07-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Canada Pension Plan is a scam. It is one of the more unsustainable programs on the books.
It's working for me and would work better if more of this country were gainfully employed.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
It's working for me and would work better if more of this country were gainfully employed.
I'm going to assume you're retired? Have you ever done the math to figure out how much you've paid in and how long you'll have to live to recoup what you've paid? Might surprise you to see that it isn't really worth it.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Saskatchewan would be an asset, Manitoba, not so much. I n any case Ottawa would never allow us to separate, because they would not want to give up the revenue we provide.
What are you talking about we could keep more Walleye and bigger ones
Old 02-07-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Many of us want to be Canadian, as in the Canada that our forefathers built, but we don't want to become what our current PM and his government consider to be a "Canadian".
Which Canada did our forefathers build?

A colonial outpost of the British crown that systematically tried to commit cultural genocide on the people that already living here? Utilizing religion and private companies and homesteading to do this?

I prefer a Canada where we are all together. Are we going to have regional differences? Of course, it’s what we as humans do! But I live a pretty comfortable in this Canada. Don’t see any point rocking that boat for a few extra dollars. If anything I’d prefer to give more.

But I’m not a 55-65 year old male who has a good pension, full benefits and can afford to have multiple, expensive hobbies. So what do I know...
Old 02-07-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I'm going to assume you're retired? Have you ever done the math to figure out how much you've paid in and how long you'll have to live to recoup what you've paid? Might surprise you to see that it isn't really worth it.
My $11,200 per year from CPP allowed me to retire at age 63 along with my other two pensions with out having to eat kibble and relocate from one of the most expensive places in Alberta to live. If I should be blessed with ten more years of collecting I will have long surpassed what was deducted from my years in the trenches. I have a part time job (not for the money, just to stay busy) and I contribute to CPP with no increase to my benefit. As long as turdo doesn't give it to all his terrorist buddys I should be ok.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:38 PM

What is the draw to Canada, except the "warm fuzzy feeling" of belonging to it, and all the cliches associated with it? (Which is mostly stuff out of the east)

Canada is too big to do anything efficiently. (Except waste money)
Old 02-07-2018, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
I had a thread years ago about Alberta separating. There was some the were for and some against. Due to recent events federally and interprovincally is this a viable option? Kind of seems like we're alone anyways so why not separate. Those that were against have you changed your mind?
A wall. You may want a wall. Believe me on this: there is a wall between AB and BC already. So you'd need a few gates. And forget about it if you think your army can make SK build a wall for you. Come to think of it, the federal police force will be no help either. And how to keep those pesky indigenous peoples from sneaking in from up north?

Pay off your deficit, save up a couple of trillion dollars (maybe Bitcoin - Canadian money would be foreign currency), acquire a larger brain trust and find an alternative to oil to power your finances. You should be good to go.

One more thing. You may need to develop a comprehensive immigration policy to augment your population after all the Canadians leave or have been deported.

There's some other stuff but you can work it out. Sounds like you might have a plan already.

Free
Old 02-07-2018, 01:00 PM

We have a provincial NDP government and our two major cities have left leaning mayors. I don't think the majority of Albertans are going to elect anything that is much different from what we are getting right from parliament now.

The retired and pensioners want more from government, the young people want more, the unemployed want more, First Nations want more, new Canadians want more, Alberta Health Care wants more, and the Liberal and NDP governments get elected by promising more.

Gerry Burnie
Old 02-07-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
What is the draw to Canada, except the "warm fuzzy feeling" of belonging to it, and all the cliches associated with it? (Which is mostly stuff out of the east)

Canada is too big to do anything efficiently. (Except waste money)
What reason have you got to stay? Where would go that you think is better?

If you know of a place what is actually keeping you here?
Old 02-07-2018, 01:17 PM

So then we could be a landlocked country instead of a landlocked province. Do you really think if we were an independent country BC would then say "sure build your pipeline and ship all the bitumen you want"?
Old 02-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Banned

Our country is not united nor are we supportive of other regions of this vast land. There is no reason to stay in confederation. Maybe the old timers can weigh in to how today compares to the dire straits Alberta was in back in the pet1 days. One difference that I can imagine is that the Alberta conservative vote has been diluted by liberals from the east. Did we have this problem 40 years ago?
Old 02-07-2018, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
My $11,200 per year from CPP allowed me to retire at age 63 along with my other two pensions with out having to eat kibble and relocate from one of the most expensive places in Alberta to live. If I should be blessed with ten more years of collecting I will have long surpassed what was deducted from my years in the trenches. I have a part time job (not for the money, just to stay busy) and I contribute to CPP with no increase to my benefit. As long as turdo doesn't give it to all his terrorist buddys I should be ok.
Well my friend may you live long enough to make money from your contributions. I'm not expecting to so therefore I don't pay cpp or any other gov't plan except unfortunately I pay income tax.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Our country is not united nor are we supportive of other regions of this vast land. There is no reason to stay in confederation. Maybe the old timers can weigh in to how today compares to the dire straits Alberta was in back in the pet1 days. One difference that I can imagine is that the Alberta conservative vote has been diluted by liberals from the east. Did we have this problem 40 years ago?
You need to read up on Canadian history.

Provincially, we'd given the boot to a stodgy old party that had been in power for decades, and replaced it with a new, left of center party.

Federally, the FLQ crisis and its fallout was recent memory. There was jockeying between federal and provincial power, area of responsibility, etc.

Voting demographics were even more tilted towards central Canada.

I don't know what point you're trying to make with your comment, as it seems disconnected. Could you explain further?
Old 02-07-2018, 03:05 PM

Same old chorus every time this is brought up:
“If you don’t love it, you can leave”.
People will leave if things continue on the current track.
And the people that do leave are the people you want to keep in your country.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Bingo! you nailed it.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
You need to read up on Canadian history.

Provincially, we'd given the boot to a stodgy old party that had been in power for decades, and replaced it with a new, left of center party.

Federally, the FLQ crisis and its fallout was recent memory. There was jockeying between federal and provincial power, area of responsibility, etc.

Voting demographics were even more tilted towards central Canada.

I don't know what point you're trying to make with your comment, as it seems disconnected. Could you explain further?
I don't remember the provinces turning on each other like they are now.
It seems that there was a separatist movement years ago called the wcc that has died but is making a resurgence under a different name. I'm curious what the issue was that brought the idea of the WCC and is it the same issues as today?
I'm unsure what comment you want me to explain further.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I don't remember the provinces turning on each other like they are now.
It seems that there was a separatist movement years ago called the wcc that has died but is making a resurgence under a different name. I'm curious what the issue was that brought the idea of the WCC and is it the same issues as today?
I'm unsure what comment you want me to explain further.
So, you were just referring to western separatism. I understand.

With regard to provinces turning on each other, present times are rather tame compared to the past. The WCC was based on dissatisfaction with more issues than the current separatist...."movement" (if it's even got enough steam to be called that)...is based on.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:53 PM

If Quebec separates, Alberta likely won't even have to.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:05 PM
Banned

Default somethings got to break ....

the two largest provs are headed straight down the toilet - economically ...

and the country is running out of 'have' provs to fleece.

TBD

ps ... maybe thats why ceci is spending us into record deficits
Old 02-07-2018, 04:22 PM

If the majority of Alberta wants separation it is probably doable, but it would probably require the election of a party that has separation as their #1 agenda. Whenever this topic comes up only a very few really want it.

I have not changed my mind since the last time separation came up.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:24 PM

Default wcc party

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Canada_Concept

Gramps was a card carrying member, they're looking good once again.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:42 PM

Western Canada separating is not a such a bad thing, Eastern Canada has never let Western Canada in,and we as westerners pay handsomely to be part of Canada, close to 12 billion to Quebec yearly most from Alberta, and all other eastern provinces also get transfer payments from the west. Alberta has the natural resources and agriculture that the rest of Canada needs, the Alberta Independence Party [AIM] has some very good plans for the future of Alberta.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm sure Saskatchewan would want to come too, maybe Manitoba as well, then we could invade BC and get our port. All the problems solved in about 12 hours.

Lived in Manitoba for 3 years. Nice province. Nice people. But they're eligible for $2B in transfer payments in 2018 so BUH BYE.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:00 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Nope not me, don't have any feeling for people who quite on the country and leave.
Make a stand and make a change, be heard, be proud or leave don't need that type left here....choices eh.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-07-2018, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Canada_Concept

Gramps was a card carrying member, they're looking good once again.
My grandmother was too as well as other family members.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Lived in Manitoba for 3 years. Nice province. Nice people. But they're eligible for $2B in transfer payments in 2018 so BUH BYE.
I'd like to have Manitoba as part of the package. That grain terminal they got on Hudson's bay is pretty attractive asset.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Well my friend may you live long enough to make money from your contributions. I'm not expecting to so therefore I don't pay cpp or any other gov't plan except unfortunately I pay income tax.
It was not by choice to pay into CPP as I was not in business for myself where I would have had that option and I also pay and have paid income tax all my working career. I believe income tax has nothing to do with sustaining the CPP, it comes from employee and employer contributions.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:14 PM
Banned

Over the history of the world how many countries have been divided into smaller countries. Canada is a old country and if history is a indicator we are due.