Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2018, 10:52 PM
Banned

Default Independent Alberta?

I had a thread years ago about Alberta separating. There was some the were for and some against. Due to recent events federally and interprovincally is this a viable option? Kind of seems like we're alone anyways so why not separate. Those that were against have you changed your mind?
Old 02-06-2018, 10:55 PM

I'm sure Saskatchewan would want to come too, maybe Manitoba as well, then we could invade BC and get our port. All the problems solved in about 12 hours.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:55 PM

So you are saying you are an alt is what I am getting

As for the subject at hand though, will never happen, so it does not matter what I think. Although I would be voting against separation.

Edit: by "alt" I mean an alternative account. What was the previous handle?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
So you are saying you are an alt is what I am getting

As for the subject at hand though, will never happen, so it does not matter what I think. Although I would be voting against separation.

Edit: by "alt" I mean an alternative account. What was the previous handle?
Same name forgot my pass word.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:17 PM

Well, that's boring. I thought there would be more to the story
Sorry to sort of derail.

P.S. I don't really care about alts and whatnot. Give people what they want.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:43 PM

I love all the provinces except one, if it were gone then at least the old saying (dog wagged by the tail)would be over and I believe we could all move forward in harmony. Alberta is a wonderful Canadian province, Canadian through and through.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:49 PM

I think its worth stating that if Alberta was to seperate. Canada/BC would have to allow the pipeline to go through under international law because Alberta would be a land locked country. This law was put in place to prevent wars.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 02-07-2018, 01:27 AM

If there was a referendum tonight I would vote for western separation without a second thought, but I don't think we would ever be given the opportunity. Too many practical issues

"Canada" as it is popularly imagined today exists only in the abstract, an artificial construct that has been propped up by the CBC since the late '60s. Maple syrup, lumberjacks, politeness, Tim Hortons- all those tired old cliches cobbled together in a desperate attempt to craft a 'Canadian identity'. The reality is that there is no "Canadian" identity, Canada (the country) is composed of many wildly disparate regional and subregional identities, with their own political cultures. These regions don't necessarily follow provincial borders, but its possible to generalize. These different groups and regions have different interests, often conflicting ones! It is certainly in our group interest (as Albertans) to construct new pipelines, clearly the people of B.C.'s lower mainland do not consider that to be in their interest. When oil was high we wanted to stop punitive transfer payments to other provinces, but Quebec of course wanted to keep them coming

There comes a point where we have to question whether we really have enough in common with these other regions to warrant staying

Our particular brand of federalism gives a significant amount of power to the provinces, Western Canadians should welcome further decentralization. A weaker federal government and increased provincial autonomy can only be good for us
Old 02-07-2018, 06:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm sure Saskatchewan would want to come too, maybe Manitoba as well, then we could invade BC and get our port. All the problems solved in about 12 hours.
Heh Heh, try it.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:07 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Playing road hockey, I am upset so I take the only ball home, some go home cuz they can't play, me I roll up some duct tape into a ball and the ones who want stay and play....game on!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-07-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Playing road hockey, I am upset so I take the only ball home, some go home cuz they can't play, me I roll up some duct tape into a ball and the ones who want stay and play....game on!

But you're the one who took the only ball home in the first place... How can this be????

Old 02-07-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Saskatchewan would be an asset, Manitoba, not so much. I n any case Ottawa would never allow us to separate, because they would not want to give up the revenue we provide.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I had a thread years ago about Alberta separating. There was some the were for and some against. Due to recent events federally and interprovincally is this a viable option? Kind of seems like we're alone anyways so why not separate. Those that were against have you changed your mind?
Lol, I think you'd find that an overwhelming majority of Albertans would vote to stay if there were ever a referendum on this ridiculous idea. The reasons why it wouldn't happen are too long to list.

Anyone who doesn't want to be a Canadian is free to re-locate to another country.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
Lol, I think you'd find that an overwhelming majority of Albertans would vote to stay if there were ever a referendum on this ridiculous idea. The reasons why it wouldn't happen are too long to list.

Anyone who doesn't want to be a Canadian is free to re-locate to another country.
Many of us want to be Canadian, as in the Canada that our forefathers built, but we don't want to become what our current PM and his government consider to be a "Canadian".
Old 02-07-2018, 07:44 AM

Smile The list isn't that long

The Canadian health System and the Canada Pension plan; that may be all that keeps this country together some days.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
The Canadian health System and the Canada Pension plan; that may be all that keeps this country together some days.
And running such huge deficits, and increasing the debt to even higher levels is threatening both of those benefits. It may not be long before we can't afford either of them.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Canada Pension Plan is a scam. It is one of the more unsustainable programs on the books.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:32 AM

Canada is a great country! Sure, it's changing, the world is changing and of course, people aren't going to like that change. Much like how each generation before us didn't like the way change was going. I'm sure our parents and grandparents were shocked and appalled with how the world was changing back in their day. "Women voting? What is this world coming to???"

What would be the ideal scenario an independent Alberta? What would be the benefits to a tiny, landlocked country on it's own? Wouldn't it still move forward and change to keep up with the rest of the world or would it remain a teeny country stuck in the middle ages like those which are constantly bashed on here?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not so sure what the Canadian health care system is thought it was a provincial program.

My accountant advised me that unless you were born prior to 1955 don't count on cpp.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:04 AM

I am Canadian. The rest are details and family squabbling.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:05 AM
Banned

I personally don't see a benefit to Alberta being part of confederation. We are to diverse of a country to be governed by a eastern formed government.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And running such huge deficits, and increasing the debt to even higher levels is threatening both of those benefits. It may not be long before we can't afford either of them.
2032 to be exact. 14 years from now. I will never recover all I have paid into CPP. Not salvageable anymore. Politics squandered this 15 years ago.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Canada Pension Plan is a scam. It is one of the more unsustainable programs on the books.
Got anything to back up your assertion, because I found this that indicates it's good for at least the next 75 yrs:

http://www.cppib.com/en/our-performa...ustainability/
Old 02-07-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Many of us want to be Canadian, as in the Canada that our forefathers built, but we don't want to become what our current PM and his government consider to be a "Canadian".
That is correct!
Old 02-07-2018, 09:23 AM

It’s funny, I know a number of well off Albertans who have made their living not by being born into it, but by making good decisions along the way. The one thing they have in common is understanding life under big oil dependency. You guys really need to get out of your holes and make a contribution.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I personally don't see a benefit to Alberta being part of confederation. We are to diverse of a country to be governed by a eastern formed government.
Again...correct!
Old 02-07-2018, 09:25 AM

Complete western separation is the only way it would work well. I'm ok with that.

Only good thing to come from the east is an empty bus and the sunrise.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalhunter View Post
Complete western separation is the only way it would work well. I'm ok with that.

Only good thing to come from the east is an empty bus and the sunrise.
Nothing more truer than that.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:39 AM

"Our particular brand of federalism gives a significant amount of power to the provinces".

Compared to who? For sure, not the USA states. That is why each state can have such different gun laws. I agree that each province needs more individual power...I don't want/need eastern city dwellers (where most of Canada's population is) telling me that I must follow their idea's of gun control, legal system, etc. Let each province decide what is right for themselves!
Old 02-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Banned

I once read an interesting online news article about the 1995 Quebec separation referendum. I believe that it was in Maclean's magazine. Leading up to the referendum vote the Premiers of the Western provinces (Manitoba/SK/AB/BC) met in secret to discuss a Western coalition. The bottom line was that if QC seperated, the Western provinces would become independent from what was left of Canada.
A google search using key words would likely find it.