Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2018, 05:26 PM
Banned

Default Need some advice on how to handle a situation with service department at Ford dealership .

The girlfriend and I are currently in BC due to her work transferred her here for a few months . She recently slid Into curb with her Ford Edge car damaging the wheel , tire , CV joint , tie rod end . Wheel was just basically broken off the vehicle but just hanging there . So I come get her we get it towed to the nearest ford dealership in Surrey but we live 45 minutes from there . We Ask them to repair whatever damages to the front end . They call us two weeks later to tell us the vehicle is ready , so we cab it there for 50$ then we had plans to drive to Seattle for the day which is a 2 hour drive from there .
So she pays we drive away and I notice some humming noises , is like a intermittent humming sound like every 2-3 seconds. I so then once we get to highway speeds it’s pretry evident now it’s a lot louder and obvious . So I call the dealership as we are going down the highway explain to them what’s happening
The lady on the phone service manager assistant ask if I can find a Ford dealership in Seattle for me to stop and have it looked at . They were about to close in 20 minutes in surrey so I would not have time to go back , it’s Saturday afternoon . I told her well a Seattle dealership is going to charge us for an inspection are you willing to cover the cost she said no guarantees , only if it’s related to the repair . So we then decided to go home I call the dealership Monday morning .
I ask if I can bring the car to get looked at I then asked if they have a shuttle to get me back home as it’s a 55$ cab ride if I leave the car with them . So they tell me it’s to far they can’t
drive me back 45 minutes away ok then . So some other guy comes on the phone and says yeah I think I know what’s happening with the car , it’s the wheel bearing he says , he said you should be fine to drive it till you get back to Edmonton then get the wheel bearing done at the dealership there under warranty. I then said well Edmonton dealership is going to know it’s been in a collision he says no don’t worry about it we dint report it . Well I’m sure it will be evident that they would notice the repair I think . Then he says you can just bring it back and we can repair for the cost of 1.6 hours plus parts . It’s a newer car 2017 Ford Edge .
I’m a little confused here if he knew the wheel bearing was damaged or going , why dint they repair it then ? It almost feels like there saying yeah we repaired your vehicle partially but if you bring it back we can finish the job for some more money ? Lol trying to think what my next move should be .
Old 02-05-2018, 06:56 PM

If it's under warranty with ford then why does it matter which dealership fixes it??

Get them to do it.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
If it's under warranty with ford then why does it matter which dealership fixes it??

Get them to do it.
That’s what is was thinking , I don’t get why they would want me to get it done in Edmonton.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:52 PM

You didn't go through insurance? Would be subsequent damage from hitting curb. Coming from side that was hit curb? Standard practise to replace bearing if it's major damage to suspension and rim. We have a bodyshop attached to dealership so I do repairs and estimates for mechanical damage. They should have included it in the repair.

Not a warranty issue if you hit curb, can try and go to dealer but pretty easy to tell everything is new .

I would contact insurance and see what they will do.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:

Get them to do it.
Another thing is when you repair a vehicle shouldin’t they take the vehicle for a test ride to see if it’s in good working order before releasing it in a unsafe condition into the hands of the customer ?
Old 02-05-2018, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
You didn't go through insurance? Would be subsequent damage from hitting curb. Coming from side that was hit curb? Standard practise to replace bearing if it's major damage to suspension and rim. We have a bodyshop attached to dealership so I do repairs and estimates for mechanical damage. They should have included it in the repair.

Not a warranty issue if you hit curb, can try and go to dealer but pretty easy to tell everything is new .

I would contact insurance and see what they will do.
Contact insurance wouldn’t that make her rate go up ? 🤔
Old 02-05-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canmarksman View Post
Contact insurance wouldn’t that make her rate go up ? 🤔
I wouldn't go through insurance if you can afford not to (obviously you've got it fixed and paid for already).

However the wheel bearing would be covered under warranty and they absolutely should replace it, regardless of which ford dealership.

Now for the stuff you wrecked hitting the curb, that obviously wouldn't be covered by warranty.

Be firm with them. Just because you didn't buy it there doesn't mean they get to choose "not" to fix it.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I wouldn't go through insurance if you can afford not to (obviously you've got it fixed and paid for already).

However the wheel bearing would be covered under warranty and they absolutely should replace it, regardless of which ford dealership.

Now for the stuff you wrecked hitting the curb, that obviously wouldn't be covered by warranty.

Be firm with them. Just because you didn't buy it there doesn't mean they get to choose "not" to fix it.
👍 it just baffles me that the dealership will do half fast work like that and have us coming back . Shows the quality of service you get know a days .
Old 02-05-2018, 08:29 PM

The bearing that is making noise is coming from the side that you hit the curb? If it is then it was damaged from the hit. It should have been replaced as part of the repair. Where you had it repaired should be looking after it. Too bad it's far away.

Sounds like it was major damage. This has nothing to do with warranty if it's related to hitting a curb. Had you decided to go through insurance the file probably would have been opened up again and dealt with. You avoided using your insurance.

Go back and deal with who you had repairs done. They didn't do it correctly.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
. So some other guy comes on the phone and says yeah I think I know what’s happening with the car , it’s the wheel bearing he says , he said you should be fine to drive it till you get back to Edmonton then get the wheel bearing done at the dealership there under warranty.
A damaged wheel bearing is not something to be driving on particularly at highway speeds. I am surprised he told you to drive on it.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
The bearing that is making noise is coming from the side that you hit the curb? If it is then it was damaged from the hit. It should have been replaced as part of the repair. Where you had it repaired should be looking after it. Too bad it's far away.

Sounds like it was major damage. This has nothing to do with warranty if it's related to hitting a curb. Had you decided to go through insurance the file probably would have been opened up again and dealt with. You avoided using your insurance.

Go back and deal with who you had repairs done. They didn't do it correctly.
Nobody knows for sure yet if the bearing is from the damaged side , I’m pretty sure it is , there was no bearing issues prior to hitting the curb and usually bearings dont go that quick from a vehicle that’s a year old unless it’s damaged by some kind of impact .
Old 02-05-2018, 08:53 PM
Banned

Old 02-05-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Nobody knows for sure yet if the bearing is from the damaged side , I’m pretty sure it is , there was no bearing issues prior to hitting the curb and usually bearings dont go that quick from a vehicle that’s a year old unless it’s damaged by some kind of impact .
Which is why they get replaced with impact damage. Really sucks that it happened away from home. The place of repair messed up and should have dealt with it and not sent you on your way.

Not really sure what you can do at this point with place of repair. Try and see if they will reimburse some off the cost but it's in another province.

Try going to a dealer here and not tell the truth about hitting a curb but it's easy to see new parts on that side if it is that bearing.

If you decided to pay for repair on your own I would phone some rural dealers surrounding Edmonton for cost of part. Might be surprised as to what some will sell compared to city dealer. Decide how far you want to go to get part. You can get installed by shop with lower rate than city dealer or try rural dealer. Ask for a deal , tell them you are price shopping. Many places will deal, never hurts to ask. You want part replaced not diagnosed.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:10 PM

From the pictures if i was going to estimate a repairs I would replace knuckle, bearing, lower control arm the complete steering rack if tie rod was bent, axle, strut. I'm assuming rim was damaged as well. Possibly subframe. Then do alignment . All depend on what I see. From your pictures I think I would be close.

Not a cheap repair put of pocket.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Which is why they get replaced with impact damage. Really sucks that it happened away from home. The place of repair messed up and should have dealt with it and not sent you on your way.

Not really sure what you can do at this point with place of repair. Try and see if they will reimburse some off the cost but it's in another province.

Try going to a dealer here and not tell the truth about hitting a curb but it's easy to see new parts on that side if it is that bearing.

If you decided to pay for repair on your own I would phone some rural dealers surrounding Edmonton for cost of part. Might be surprised as to what some will sell compared to city dealer. Decide how far you want to go to get part. You can get installed by shop with lower rate than city dealer or try rural dealer. Ask for a deal , tell them you are price shopping. Many places will deal, never hurts to ask. You want part replaced not diagnosed.
Well I believe that all service repair shops should warranty they’re work , we told them to fix the front end and anything that it needs , it should not be our problem the fact that they missed something , we payed and I believe they should warranty the work . They admitted that they were aware about the wheel bearing also after she spoke with them on the phone .
Old 02-05-2018, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
From the pictures if i was going to estimate a repairs I would replace knuckle, bearing, lower control arm the complete steering rack if tie rod was bent, axle, strut. I'm assuming rim was damaged as well. Possibly subframe. Then do alignment . All depend on what I see. From your pictures I think I would be close.

Not a cheap repair put of pocket.
Yeah they had to bring in a wheel and tire from Edmonton they were both damaged . I forgot to mention one other thing now the slightest dip or bump on the highway or entering a driveway the front end rubs on the pavement . I feel like they did a poor job and diagnosing and repairing the vehicle .
Old 02-05-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah they had to bring in a wheel and tire from Edmonton they were both damaged . I forgot to mention one other thing now the slightest dip or bump on the highway or entering a driveway the front end rubs on the pavement . I feel like they did a poor job and diagnosing and repairing the vehicle .
Yes it sounds like it.

What did they actually replace? I think they just did the minimal to make it work. I'm not exactly sure who you would contact. It happened in BC so I would think there should be a government agency to deal with there.

I have seen things like this before. Dealers, private shops, backyard guys.

You really should find a shop to take it into to get looked at . Doesn't have to be dealer, go to a shop that deals with doing collision damage. An experienced tech will pick up stuff missed.

Did you get a printout of align angles? Would like to see that.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes it sounds like it.

What did they actually replace? I think they just did the minimal to make it work. I'm not exactly sure who you would contact. It happened in BC so I would think there should be a government agency to deal with there.

I have seen things like this before. Dealers, private shops, backyard guys.

You really should find a shop to take it into to get looked at . Doesn't have to be dealer, go to a shop that deals with doing collision damage. An experienced tech will pick up stuff missed.

Did you get a printout of align angles? Would like to see that.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:45 PM
Banned

Page number 2 says retorque all wheels after 160 km , failure to do so could result to damage or injury . What about failure to repair a damaged wheel bearing ? Lol
Old 02-05-2018, 11:01 PM

Keep all copies and go the insurance,they may just deal with ford to get it done right at a better rate,unless she has bad driving record claim it.
You maybe charged way more then needed if you pay someone else and no re coarse to help you out,with the insurance they deal with poor work an over charges.
Pay your deduct and move on ,plus get a car while damages are being done and there will be warranty on the parts kept by the insurance incase of a major accident occurs by someone who has done faulty work.

Always protect your self from major things ,most of the times you have to pay,but if something ever happens like an injury you have back up,cause the insurance will sue if it's dealership doing unsafe work.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Keep all copies and go the insurance,they may just deal with ford to get it done right at a better rate,unless she has bad driving record claim it.
You maybe charged way more then needed if you pay someone else and no re coarse to help you out,with the insurance they deal with poor work an over charges.
Pay your deduct and move on ,plus get a car while damages are being done and there will be warranty on the parts kept by the insurance incase of a major accident occurs by someone who has done faulty work.

Always protect your self from major things ,most of the times you have to pay,but if something ever happens like an injury you have back up,cause the insurance will sue if it's dealership doing unsafe work.
Right on 👍
Old 02-06-2018, 12:50 AM

a few quick points ....

- when i car comes in right smashed like that it's difficult to tell with 100% accuracy what's buggered. often my tactic was to replace everything that's obviously bent, then get it on the alignment rack and find out what's just slightly tweaked, make those additional repairs and then perform an actual road test

- where things get interesting is getting the customer (or insurance company) on board with that strategy. adjusters are the worst of the bunch (eg, "why wasn't that additional part on your initial estimate!?")

- the mechanic's error was either a) not completing a thorough road test, or b) not mentioning a noisy bearing after the test. motivations for either are unclear, but i wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was just an attempt to save you some cash when it was learned that the repair was out of pocket. eg "wheel bearing isn't loose - let's see if the customer can get away without replacing it" comes to mind as a real plausible thought process. all the same, that doesn't excuse failing to report it after a test drive.

- if the failed bearing is on the same side as the impact then it is not a warrantable defect. essentially warranty means "is this ford of canada's fault". if the repairing dealer is putting it through on warranty then they are passing the buck to cover their own rear. let them do it - especially if you paid for the initial repair out of pocket.

- bearings can fail in different ways. noisy does not necessarily equate to unsafe. play in the bearing is a safety defect. you can get away with a little noise for a while, and i'm guessing that if he signed off on the initial repair then it couldn't have been that bad. it may have been annoying and obviously defective, but i highly, highly doubt that it was a safety concern. it sounds more like sloppy, incomplete work than negligence

- seeing those pictures i can't believe that he didn't call the bearing right off the bat. often the shotgun approach has some validity with these types of damage repairs, and the part that you order 'just in case' is often needed. damage reveals itself as the repair progresses.

- if paying out of pocket for a bearing then i suggest offering to pay for the part only. these is considerable labour overlap with the repairs that you had done and the fact that bearing was missed during diag isn't your responsibility.

good luck dealing with your repair from this point forward. : )

i got out of the trade and ford land just over a month ago now. i do not miss it one bit.

Last edited by Peace Meal Farm; 02-06-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:57 AM

Go through insurance. Hopefully not too late for them to help.

They even stated that it may have a bent strut on 4 wheel align line. Tech didn't do a good job.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:40 AM

I would have replaced the wheel bearing, but that's just me.
The impression I'm getting here is you were paying out of pocket and they were trying to keep costs as reasonable as they could hoping the bearing would make it a while longer for your sake. It apparently won't, but that doesn't mean they did a bad job. This repair was evolutionary. Had you gone through insurance I'm certain you could go back and request additional repairs, I don't believe you did, so there will be costs associated with that repair regardless if you had paid earlier or now. Yes the labour likely would have been reduced as mentioned with overlap jobs initially. I like the idea of pay for parts but ask for reduced labour rate.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:21 AM

The wheel bearing would have been one of the parts damaged in that accident for sure as its a complete bearing and hub assembly on that model. That wheel hub/bearing would have taken the brunt of the impact directly especially hitting a square curb. Not rocket science...
Old 02-06-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Another thing is when you repair a vehicle shouldin’t they take the vehicle for a test ride to see if it’s in good working order before releasing it in a unsafe condition into the hands of the customer ?
Of course they do, but it is generally just around the block.
Get it back and onto the next car.

Check your receipt and km's in and out, that will tell you how far if at all they drove it.

Take it back and ask to speak with the Service Manager and if that doesnt resolve go up to the General Manager .

They are a FORD dealership and generally pretty good at customer service, but it sounds like it was a Friday afternoon and they wanted the car out .

Cam Clarke FORD in the Richmond AutoMall have treated me well in the past..they used to be ditchport ford and dont get me started on those clowns.

Bring your paperwork and have questions written down to ask with your concerns and write down the answer your given whether you agree or not it comes in handy talking to each level of management.

Rob
Old 02-06-2018, 06:59 PM
Banned

Took the car at the dealership today , the technician came for drive with me , he was being errogant and had some kind of attitude , he says we don’t need to go on the highway lol I said just want to make sure you hear it he said I should be able to hear it at lower speeds . Then he tells me he knew about the wheel bearing that he told the service guy at the counter . Then I said well then why din’t you guys replace it . He says well how are we supost to know you had a damaged wheel bearing he says to me ? I was a bit confused because he finished telling me they knew about it . So the service manager comes to the counter when we get back from the drive and says we have a wheel bearing here for you and instead of us charging you 2.0 hours we will only charge you 1.6 . When I get home they call me about an hour later and tell me oh yeah we just discored that you have a leaking shock/strut , he then said that was from us driving the car out from the dealership and driving it back there is what caused the leaking strut . I have pictures of the damaged strut before we even took the vehicle to the dealership .
Old 02-06-2018, 07:51 PM

In the last picture you posted that strut does look bent to me.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed View Post
In the last picture you posted that strut does look bent to me.
Yes it sure does , but it amost seems like they are trying to say the leak only occurred after we picked it up from the dealership . I’m telling them that the strut was damaged before we brought it to them . It’s like they don’t want to admit they’ve missed it .
Old 02-06-2018, 09:53 PM
Banned

Record your conversation only you need to know your recording them. They are greasy