Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2016, 10:38 AM

Default Sausage

Was wondering what you home sausage makers use for thermometers for testing internal temperature of your smoked sausage.i started out with dampers wide open and 100 degrees F and slowly increased tell my sausage internal temperature was 152 F. I was using a digital thermometer that was slow reading. I'm wondering if my finished results of tough casing atributed to maybe to much heat.The natural casing was purchased in salt and soaked.The sausage flavor is good no smearing but it is really tough any help would be apreciated.The casing came in a blue bag from a local supplier with 60 feet as I don't make much at a time
Old 02-02-2016, 12:22 PM

Damper full open will evacuate moisture and dry the casing enough to begin a smoke cycle with good color and smoke adhesion. This a good thing

However if you insist on doing the entire cook cycle to 152F in the smoker then critically moisture is needed to finish with a tender casing.
Some meisters will cold/warm smoke for flavour and then boil a pan of water and place on the smoker element for the cook phase.

I usually poach separately for better control and a disdain for black rain

Casings are a natural product and can vary quite a bit in tenderness due to age of animal and diet.

But generally
a good soak with repeated rinsing will soften salt toughened casings.
The old adage about dropping a frog in boiling water applies especially to casing
Acidification will tender casing, but more than 10-15 minutes can result in major splitting when stuffing.

When poaching sausage to cook-always start in cold water and SLOWLY bring to a max water temp of 170F and a IT max of 152F - but 145F-148f better.

Cheap, durable and reliable
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80100406/
I use the Ikea Fantast