Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2016, 07:51 PM
Banned

Default For the fans of the late great Bob Ross

If you know who Bob Ross is you know what he did.He created oil paintings a 1/2 hour at a time via public broadcasting.He had a very mellow voice and a good sense of humour as well as a lot of talent.

I really enjoyed watching him create a painting from a blank canvas and I seriously envied his self taught skill that was learned when he was in the US Army and was stationed in Alaska.

Recently his episodes have been going on Youtube much to my delight....yes it comes down to monetizing the franchise he created via his show "Joy of painting" but I am glad to see all of those episodes are now on Youtube for me as well as others to enjoy.

FTH
Old 02-01-2016, 07:55 PM

I have spent a few hours watching how he makes it look so easy. My cousin paints and she said he is a god among them.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:56 PM

I have watched his TV appearances, as well as one of his instructors (Ed Martinuik) on a CTV channel for quite a while. So much so, that they inspired me to give it a try.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the heads up- loved the reruns of his show on PBS
Old 02-01-2016, 08:10 PM

I watched this soft spoken guy with the goofy fro when I was a kid and when he started a painting you had no idea where it was going "lets put a happy tree here", but when he was done and pulled the painting together it was like hell yeah I would put that in my house. The man had honest talent!
Old 02-01-2016, 08:22 PM

Shows you the benefit of weed!
Long live Bob Ross.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkel1 View Post
I watched this soft spoken guy with the goofy fro when I was a kid and when he started a painting you had no idea where it was going "lets put a happy tree here", but when he was done and pulled the painting together it was like hell yeah I would put that in my house. The man had honest talent!
That for me was the crux....he suddenly throws in something and as you are watching it your think "damn you just wrecked it" and then 3 minutes later it makes the painting even better.

I am no patron of the arts and personally the works of Renoir/Rembrant/Van Gogh etc hold no interest to me and if I were disgustingly rich I would not buy the artwork as an investment.

I just really appreciate the articulate skill Bob Ross had and also how he would talk through each painting he did and embellish it with is humour along the way.His voice was pretty hypnotising actually.....IMO you could be mad as hell and quite ready to punch a cute puppy in the face and after listening to Bob Ross for 5 minutes you would be calm and at peace.

I wish the were more "Bob Ross's" on this planet.

FTH
Old 02-02-2016, 01:24 AM

Mother used to watch it and paint a bit while watching it, learning her brush strokes. She loved it and cursed it at the same time, could be hilarious to watch.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:13 AM

USE to watch on sundays it would always put me to sleep after a night of drinking
Old 02-02-2016, 07:32 AM

Great post.
Very long time ago, came in the house for lunch, happened he was on and couldn't believe he did a painting in half hour AND often using a 2" brush.
Couple days later bought $250 of art "stuff"...if he can do it, so can I! Wife
rolling her eyes.
Now have paintings hanging on walls in Japan, Europe, U.S. Amuses me as I still have no talent, just try hard. (Many gone in burning barrel).
I even give courses several times a year and spread the "joy" Bob Ross put in so many lives.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:01 AM

The man was a genious with techniques and style.... I live (d) in a house of artists (hubby and 3 kids - all artists) so Bob's PBS shows were as important as watching Canucks and Flames or Oilers play .....

My artistic skills come from the other side of the spectrum... Song & Dance but I can draw a really awesome stick person
Old 02-02-2016, 08:48 AM

I was lucky enough to meet Mr Ross when I worked for the CBC as an Art Director. He came up to Vancouver to do a show. Just as laid back in real life as on air. Had a wonderful passion and could see beauty in all things.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 02-02-2016, 02:15 PM

i loved watching the guy on PBS. Almost hypnotical and made you feel at peace.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
Shows you the benefit of weed!
Long live Bob Ross.
Come on Dave, you and I both know you can't have a great career and contribute to society if ya smoke weed....
Old 02-02-2016, 09:29 PM

Great to hear Bob Ross show is on youtube , just a wonderful zen like tranquility about him. He is a great positive influence , why can't all teachers be like him . Clone this guy now .

somewhere i heard about a Saskatchewan artist by the name of Levine Flexhaug , nickname Flexie , he managed to make a partial living from being an artist , http://levineflexhaug.ca/biography