Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2016, 02:33 PM

Default Used boat advice

I'm buying a used boat this spring, and am looking for advice on boat brands. Advice for which brands to stay away from, and which brands are better than others. The type of boat i'm looking to buy is a bowrider, around 1998-2004.Brands currebtly looking at are Glastron, Larson,Bayliner, Maxum, Tahoe.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiity View Post
I'm buying a used boat this spring, and am looking for advice on boat brands. Advice for which brands to stay away from, and which brands are better than others. The type of boat i'm looking to buy is a bowrider, around 1998-2004.Brands currebtly looking at are Glastron, Larson,Bayliner, Maxum, Tahoe.
I would say that I would be more concerned about the condition of the motor and everything else related to it as boat itself at that age aren't really worth a lot ,but out of the brands you've mentioned the only one I wouldn't look at is a Bayliner,nice lookin boats but garbage in my opinion. Good luck as I'm on the hunt for a new one myself.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:43 PM

Get an outboard motor most definitely
Old 02-01-2016, 03:17 PM

I have an 03 Bayliner 175 with the 3.0 mercruiser. Had it about 5 years now, the kids enjoy tubing and wakeboarding and I fish from it. The 3.0 runs great and is very fuel efficient with enough power for what I use it for. The hull handles extremely well for its size - I read some really good reviews online for the hull design. That being said, it's the most basic of all the brands you listed - the options and finish materials are definitely entry level. If I was in the market I would buy another one.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:13 PM

if buying a boat get it inspected .

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 02-01-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1 View Post
Get an outboard motor most definitely
Why?

I wouldn't be afraid of an Inboard/Outboard. I like outboards, they look cool and work well, but an I/O works well too. It does use up space in the boat but maintenance can be far less. Replacement certainly is. I wouldn't be hung up on an outboard.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:25 PM

I too want to get a older/cheaper 16 ft open bow for fishing with the elders and kids, plus waterski/tube. How do you make sure the transoms and floors are strong and not rotten.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:45 PM

Sooner, that's a good question that I'd like to know as well. When we finally find the boat that we going to purchase, we'll definitely get it inspected. Thanks for all the comments and keep them coming.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:37 PM

In that age of boat your looking at I would stay away from an inboard. They are far heavier to trailer/tow down the road. They have the drive/knuckle to maintain and watch. If you are not mechanical you will have to take it in each fall to have it winterized ( drain the block and pumps and add antifreeze ) and I believe they require far more maintenance than an outboard. And you loss a lot of interior room with the engine. Outboard all the way. Way easier to look after.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:51 PM

Default Inboard

I got a 2007 campion 16 ft. 3.0l merc. For just my family this is a perfect boat. The 3.0 will move you along at 36-40 mph wot. Cruises nicely at 18 mph. Perfect trolling speed it seems for the number of fish pulled in. I love having the platform over the engine for the kids. Nice to sit there and fish off of too. I am going to prop down to a 17 pitch for water sports this year. Should help pop out skiers a bit easier. Winterization is very easy, just follow the steps. I have no regrets buying a inboard. Next boat will definitely have the 4.3 or 5.0 in it. Nice to bring along friends and have a good time.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:24 PM

I would be more concerned with the overall condition of boat and motor than the brand, look for one with low hrs, and have it inspected. The Best bang for your buck in a entry level boat is a 3 liter inboard/outboard, every manufacturer builds one, they are reliable and burns less fuel, they cost less than a comparable HP outboard engine.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybuster View Post
Why?

I wouldn't be afraid of an Inboard/Outboard. I like outboards, they look cool and work well, but an I/O works well too. It does use up space in the boat but maintenance can be far less. Replacement certainly is. I wouldn't be hung up on an outboard.
Doesn't boat stand for Bust Out Another Thousand....
Old 02-01-2016, 09:16 PM

Depends what you're looking to do with it. 3L is nice and efficient for a lot of things but if you're doing a lot of water sports especially wake boarding up size. It's worth it.

Other than that. Check the usual. Mechanical is the most important. Then the hull. Cracks in the transom, power and steering cables Ect. Actually sit in the seat, buddy bought a boat once and rather than reposition the seats sold it to another friend.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:02 PM

Once in a while you see a Campion Explorer 552 or 188 if '98 or older.
Not the bowrider you seek, but a comfortable boat. Cuddy cabin and if you're lucky, a full top so you can do some camping from it or just get out of ugly weather.
Mine had full canopy and a Volvo SX I/O with a 3 liter HO. Big prop 17". Most folks thought it was powered by an 8 and were surprised to find it was a 4. It came out of the hole like an 8 and the boat is not a light weight at 2700 lb. dry weight. Not a speed demon with 32 mph at 4300 rpm, but a 60 gal. tank went a very long way.
Sold mine because I was not using it often enough and I can spit to the lake. I pine every now an then and it's not because I don't have a boat or two, it's because I don't have that one.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:24 AM

I totally disagree with the loss of space comments with the I/B. I have an '09 FourWinns Fish and Ski. You have the entire rear deck with nothing in the way. If you want to ski and tube, there is no motor in the way, better visability, and with a huge swim deck....you won't regret it. Like other have said, bump up the motor to a 4.3L, the folks on the tube will love it. And you will appreciate getting to the good spots before everyone else!!

Looking at a used boat, its all about the motor. don't look at the rest until you are satisfied with the motor and leg. Check the motor oil, check the leg oil to see if it's cloudy. Like a previous posted said, most guys will take their inboards to the dealer for winterization and service work. That's a good thing, you can see the paper work about what was done (and not done!).

Look at the prop and leg. they will tell you if the boat was abused in any way. don't forget to look at the trailer, pay attention to the tires and how the rubber is wearing. Ask when the wheel bearings last done. Boats should be done every year.

After all that start looking at the boat hull for scratches and rubs (get right under it) and how well the interior was looked after.

Make sure the seller will start it and run it. Hit Canadian Tire and buy a muff and take it with you (you will need one anyway) incase they don't want to run it.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Make sure the seller will start it and run it. Hit Canadian Tire and buy a muff and take it with you (you will need one anyway) incase they don't want to run it.
Muff? incase they don't want to run it? Not sure what you are talking about. Could you explain?

I'm in the market for a boat too, outboard, more of a simple aluminum fishing boat. How can I ensure the motor works properly if the boat is not on the water (or the water is frozen)? Take it to a dealership to get tested in a tank? Anything that can be done at seller's place? Thanks.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:25 AM

I can't add much if anything to the advice already given.
I also don't see much loss of space from an inboard, we use the platform a lot actually.

It should be a good time to buy a boat. All I can say is keep your options open and look at a lot of boats. When we bought ours in 2011 I didn't even consider it at first because I assume we wanted (needed) a higher end boat with a V8. But I found a 2007 Bayliner 185 with the 4.3 V6. It was a bank repo at an auction but it looked like it had only been in the water a couple of times. I picked it up for $12,000.00 and figured it would do us for a year or two. The kids named it "speedy" and we ended up falling in love with it. It's perfect for us. Runs great and the 4.3 is good for everything we do. We put it in the water in the spring and take it out in the fall. We have used it pretty much every weekend for the last 4 years and have not had a single issue with it. We like it and have no plans of upgrading although most of our friends have much nicer boats ... but they also go thru a couple hundred $ in fuel every weekend LOL.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:30 AM

A muff is a device that covers the water intake vents on the leg of the motor. It attaches to a garden hose and allows the user to run the boat out of the water. They cost about 20 bucks
Old 02-02-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
I totally disagree with the loss of space comments with the I/B. I have an '09 FourWinns Fish and Ski. You have the entire rear deck with nothing in the way. If you want to ski and tube, there is no motor in the way, better visability, and with a huge swim deck....you won't regret it. Like other have said, bump up the motor to a 4.3L, the folks on the tube will love it. And you will appreciate getting to the good spots before everyone else!!

Looking at a used boat, its all about the motor. don't look at the rest until you are satisfied with the motor and leg. Check the motor oil, check the leg oil to see if it's cloudy. Like a previous posted said, most guys will take their inboards to the dealer for winterization and service work. That's a good thing, you can see the paper work about what was done (and not done!).

Look at the prop and leg. they will tell you if the boat was abused in any way. don't forget to look at the trailer, pay attention to the tires and how the rubber is wearing. Ask when the wheel bearings last done. Boats should be done every year.

After all that start looking at the boat hull for scratches and rubs (get right under it) and how well the interior was looked after.

Like Okotokian mentioned, what are you talking about concerning "the muff"?

I will disagree with you about the wheel bearings. If you are changing bearings annually, you are most likely wasting your time and money. Especially if you use bearing buddies. (Unless you manage to tow your boat 100,000km per season)
Old 02-02-2016, 11:05 AM

Bearings are cheap. Better to spend a few bucks in the spring than be stuck on the side the highway before a great weekend, or after a great weekend.
But to each their own
I should clarify, redo the seals and check the berings.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:11 AM

I always flush the motor of antifreeze on the driveway. When the motors warm i can then check all the fluids. Although they say antifreeze is safe to flush in the lake, there's something i dont like about it. I think theres enough crap going into out water, so anything i can do to keep stuff out is for the greater good.