Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2016, 09:46 PM

Default cured sausage fail

So I ran about 20 lbs of sausage and pepperonis a few weeks ago and I thought I'd try a little experiment with drying a few. I separated a small portion of mixed meat before any cure was added so that I could add the correct cure for drying.
My method was, well..let's say non-traditional but almost worked. My garage holds a consistent 10-12 degrees and there was very little variance from that. The moisture/humidity was held okay but not perfect. I'm in the process of converting an old upright freezer to a curing chamber but that's another story.
I cut the sausages today and they have a void up the center like a straw was inserted while they dried. The outer ring looks and feels great but the very inner part still feels raw. Did they dry too fast? (18 days) Did I not stuff the casings (real hog) tight enough? I thought I did. I even pierced the casing to prevent any air pockets while stuffing. I'm not going to eat them so no worries there. I did try this knowing it might not work so I'm not upset about it.
Any ideas why they have a hollow center?

Thanks,

Geo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cured sausage.jpg (98.2 KB, 302 views)
Old 01-31-2016, 10:09 PM

Default Sausages

I'm NOT an expert on air drying but from what I've read they often wipe down the outside of the sages every couple of days with water to avoid them drying too fast from the outside
Old 02-01-2016, 07:10 AM

Not an expert either.. But the curing chamber is going to be a must
Old 02-01-2016, 09:49 AM

You pierced the casings while stuffing? Really? How do you stuff your sausage? I am not an expert and only have my own limited experience to go by, but I use a press to stuff my casings. If I get the tiniest piercing I get a mild explosion of meat bursting forth. We have to stop, cut the link, tie off both ends and start again. I can't imagine purposely piercing the casing while stuffing. Perhaps you have a different process?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:17 AM

Default Piercing casings

I pierce my casings sell the time. If there's an air bubble I tap the casing as its on the nozzle with the back of my knife, it makes a small hole and the air escapes. I've never seen meat oozing out?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklerdog View Post
So I ran about 20 lbs of sausage and pepperonis a few weeks ago and I thought I'd try a little experiment with drying a few. I separated a small portion of mixed meat before any cure was added so that I could add the correct cure for drying.
My method was, well..let's say non-traditional but almost worked. My garage holds a consistent 10-12 degrees and there was very little variance from that. The moisture/humidity was held okay but not perfect. I'm in the process of converting an old upright freezer to a curing chamber but that's another story.
I cut the sausages today and they have a void up the center like a straw was inserted while they dried. The outer ring looks and feels great but the very inner part still feels raw. Did they dry too fast? (18 days) Did I not stuff the casings (real hog) tight enough? I thought I did. I even pierced the casing to prevent any air pockets while stuffing. I'm not going to eat them so no worries there. I did try this knowing it might not work so I'm not upset about it.
Any ideas why they have a hollow center?

Thanks,

Geo
hollow center is from casing not filled enough..
Old 02-01-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
hollow center is from casing not filled enough..
That was my suspicion.

As for piercing, usually with a pin after the casing is already stuffed to let the air bubble out. Too soon or too big while stuffing yes it will explode and spew all over. That part comes from experience.

Thanks for all the input.

Geo
Old 02-01-2016, 12:58 PM

Make sure they're stuffed real tight. My Landjaeger turned out perfect. The dried Hungarian pepper salami still has another 3 weeks to go. As far as a curing chamber goes, it's only required for the fermenting part. That's the 3-4 days after stuffing, but prior to cold smoking. Drying is just done in a cool 10-15 degree spot. 18 days seems about right for that size a sausage.
Here's how I dry mine after cold smoking.
(my Speck is in the back, another 3-4 weeks for it)
Old 02-01-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklerdog View Post
That was my suspicion.

As for piercing, usually with a pin after the casing is already stuffed to let the air bubble out. Too soon or too big while stuffing yes it will explode and spew all over. That part comes from experience.

Thanks for all the input.

Geo
And I am certainly experienced with the spewing aspect. I have never tried going back after the pressure is off. I will try that on my next batch, I certainly have had unsightly air pockets so this could be the answer.
Thanks guys.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
Make sure they're stuffed real tight. My Landjaeger turned out perfect. The dried Hungarian pepper salami still has another 3 weeks to go. As far as a curing chamber goes, it's only required for the fermenting part. That's the 3-4 days after stuffing, but prior to cold smoking. Drying is just done in a cool 10-15 degree spot. 18 days seems about right for that size a sausage.
Here's how I dry mine after cold smoking.
(my Speck is in the back, another 3-4 weeks for it)
soooooo huuuungry.. that looks incredible!
Old 02-01-2016, 08:55 PM
Banned

Was it smoked prior to drying? if you ran the smoker for too long and built up heat the outer layer started to cook and core remained raw.

Smoking sausage for air drying is different. For best results give it smoke in a well ventilated chamber and keep temperatures down as close to ambient as possible. You do not want to build up smoke on the casing like you would if cooking it. It prevents air from circulating, you might say you choked your sausage.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:21 PM

I forgot to add pork and made 20 lbs of venison pepperoni.... Tastes fine but texture is an epic fail. Good for pizza, pasta, and sandwiches I guess