Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2016, 07:35 PM

Default Minor Hockey and Player of the Game

It's been quite a few years since I played competitive hockey. I'm curious as to other people's observations of the "player of the game" awards presented at tournaments. Today I saw a player receive the award at the last game of the third game of the day. The first two players from our team chosen for the first two games somewhat deserved them, they weren't the top players but they played hard and had their best games of the year. The third player had probably their worst game of the year but was chosen for the reward. Our top p,ayers did not win one at all.

After the game my player was a wreck as he just watched his teammate sit on the ice, hardly try to skate and keep up with the play, and generally have a very poor game win the "player of the game"!!! As selected by the opposing team.

When did this type of thing start. I agree with motivating all players but this one went a little far. It demotivates the players who try hard when they see this type of thing happen. What are other people observations with this?
Old 01-30-2016, 07:40 PM

What level of hockey is it? Sometimes they just randomly select a player off of the scoresheet. I've heard of players being selected that weren't even playing, haha.

I also don't think that individual awards should motivate or demotivate in team sports. That's just me.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:49 PM

Default Scoresheet

I suppose it could have been a scoresheet selection. That's the only rational way to support the pick.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:04 PM

It's ridiculous. At our last home tourney I pushed hard and got the player of the game removed. It's a waste of time unless you do it right.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterjon View Post
It's been quite a few years since I played competitive hockey. I'm curious as to other people's observations of the "player of the game" awards presented at tournaments. Today I saw a player receive the award at the last game of the third game of the day. The first two players from our team chosen for the first two games somewhat deserved them, they weren't the top players but they played hard and had their best games of the year. The third player had probably their worst game of the year but was chosen for the reward. Our top p,ayers did not win one at all.

After the game my player was a wreck as he just watched his teammate sit on the ice, hardly try to skate and keep up with the play, and generally have a very poor game win the "player of the game"!!! As selected by the opposing team.

When did this type of thing start. I agree with motivating all players but this one went a little far. It demotivates the players who try hard when they see this type of thing happen. What are other people observations with this?
I have coached for years and I won't do that. If that rules exists in a tournament I tell the other coach who gets mine and ask who he wants to get it.

First to admit, choosing the other team's MVP, is the least important thing on my mind during a game.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:00 PM

Coached for years also and we always were asked the pick your own teams MVP we tried to pick someone who played better then normal but we also made sure one player didn't get it more then once thru out the year.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterjon View Post

Player of the game will always be different.

THE COUCHING STAFF from both teams should be involved, then the staff running the tournament.

The true winners are the players and the officials that are on the ice.

If we can separate bias the game will grow.

I just watched a midget triple A game then went to the second sheet to watch tim bits?

If you can keep the fun and combine it with learning, and learning being all aspects of life all would be good.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:30 PM

as a longtime minor hockey coach when in this scenario where I choose my mvp for a game I lay it down in the room for the team to take the challenge and elevate their play!! The one that brings it the most and does the best to their ability gets it! You can use this reward for the whole team and not for personnel player gain!!
Old 01-31-2016, 09:46 PM

Really depends on the level of play were talking about. If it's Timbits they make sure every player gets "player of the week" at least once. At that level it is all about building the love of the game in the kids, save the competitive stuff for later. If we're talking AAA or something like that then it should go to the best player that day even if he wins it every game.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:33 PM

Was this game in the Alix this past weekend ? The mites tournament ?