Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
And to pull a non commercial trailer in BC over 4600 kg the driver needs to complete a Government DOT licensing proceedure on safe trailer towing methods , including a test and practical test witnessed by a Motor Vehicle Licence officer,

Known as endorsement # 20 for recreational users with DL ratings classes of 5 and 7,

Or if it floats your boat take a commercial Driver licensing upgrade to 1,2 or 3

Operating a vehicle towing a trailer without DOT/CVSE endorsement can nullify insurance and make the driver and/or owner liable as insurance would be invalid.
That's interesting. I did not know this. Can you post a link to this regulation? This would be very important to know.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
That's interesting. I did not know this. Can you post a link to this regulation? This would be very important to know.
Just google " B.C. Gov , CVSE Trailer Towing Frequently Asked questions " should get you there
Old 02-01-2016, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Just google " B.C. Gov , CVSE Trailer Towing Frequently Asked questions " should get you there
And the BC Road Test for recreational users, the driver actually has to hook and unhook the trailer, do a safety per trip and back up the trailer in a confined test area to pass the test ,

Can you imagine that ? lmfao
Old 02-01-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Got it. Thanks.
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/
Old 02-01-2016, 11:28 AM

3/4 diesel is what you want for what you are talking about doing (ie towing).

Get a fifth wheel hitch.

Cry once every 10-15 or so years and enjoy it in between.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
3/4 diesel is what you want for what you are talking about doing (ie towing).

Get a fifth wheel hitch.

Cry once every 10-15 or so years and enjoy it in between.
Except why bother, might as well just get a 1ton. There are ALOT more 1 tons on the market and chances of finding one with the options you want and in good shape are alot better. Especially since you won't pay much more for the 1 ton.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I wish they had this in Alberta...
Old 02-01-2016, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
I wish they had this in Alberta...
No kidding, but to be one- up , Albertastan has the WEEKENDER TRIPPLE DEATH OPTION ,

HOOK A 5 Th Wheel trailer behind your pickup, and then a BUMPER PULL behind your 5 wheel trailer ,

OH BOY
Old 02-01-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
No kidding, but to be one- up , Albertastan has the WEEKENDER TRIPPLE DEATH OPTION ,

HOOK A 5 Th Wheel trailer behind your pickup, and then a BUMPER PULL behind your 5 wheel trailer ,

OH BOY
Honestly, I have no problem with those setups (as long as they are legal), the scary ones are SK, two bumper pulls.. Sheesh..
Old 02-01-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I didn't see that concept said anywhere in the thread. I saw people recommending a 3/4 ton for the OP's situation.
Yes, weigh both your units and look up the capacities. ...but you don't have to be running to the scales every time you add an extra backpack.
A standard 30 foot trailer will be well under 10,000 lbs, even fully loaded with gear. (mine is 8600 With 2 slides, and we pack A LOT into it!)
And a family of four inside the cab will pretty much always fall within tow & cargo capacities of a 3/4 ton. Not so with a half.
Everyone seems to want to nitpick and disect every statement made on AO just so they can tell them they're wrong. I think the general idea was properly conveyed here.
Sorry, I don't subscribe to pretty much always safe idea.

And yes that concept is very present here. you almost always safe comment shows it.

This isn't an opinion. This is life an death, and a GENERAL IDEA of weights doesn't work.....

Do it right or stay of the roads I travel on please.

A 30' trailer, plus goodies can be unsafe in a 3/4 ton. Like it or not. You obviously don't have a grasp on the concept. Might be ok. might not. My point is you can't use a 3/4 ton as an umbrella answer. ITS WRONG, ITS UNSAFE!
Old 02-01-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post

And yes that concept is very present here. you almost always safe comment shows it.

This isn't an opinion. This is life an death, and a GENERAL IDEA of weights doesn't work.....

A 30' trailer, plus goodies can be unsafe in a 3/4 ton. Like it or not. You obviously don't have a grasp on the concept. Might be ok. might not. My point is you can't use a 3/4 ton as an umbrella answer. ITS WRONG, ITS UNSAFE!
What did I say right at the start of my post? Perhaps you weren't grasping it.
"WEIGH BOTH UNITS AND LOOK UP THE CAPACITIES" Is that clear enough for you??

Trust me....I understand the dangers. Dont assume you know what I grasp.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=255279
Old 02-01-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
What did I say right at the start of my post? Perhaps you weren't grasping it.
"WEIGH BOTH UNITS AND LOOK UP THE CAPACITIES" Is that clear enough for you??

Trust me....I understand the dangers. Dont assume you know what I grasp.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=255279
Just too many people have a mentality of a 3/4 ton cant be overloaded. And its evident in this entire thread. Go to the campground and look around, its everywhere, with halfers, 3/4's, one tons. Everywhere.

It's a real thing. It's happeneing everywhere, including here. It's all im speaking about. I'm not making it up, and its not disputable. I never made reference to the op, but to the mentality of a population.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:16 PM

Default Capacity

Capacities are one thing. Strength is another. I tried using lighter trucks for towing. Worked great. Then the rear diff went. Then the transfercase. Etc. for a once a year trip to the lake? Great. But being broke down in the middle of nowhere can ruin what's supposed to be a fun family vacation. Go as big as you can afford and don't look back. Ps. The newer HD trucks are like Cadillacs compared to the old days. Ride nice, beautiful interiors, manageable fuel economy.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:

Always read your manual, and run your setup over a scale. Common sense. Don't risk your families lives or mine.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:26 PM
Banned

I wish I could find the pictures,,,,

Last fall, 2005 , September or early October , hwy 43 between Hythe and BC boundary,,, about 7 pm

A 1975 ford f250 2whdr super cab pulling a 70 foot long old rotton vintage mobile home with 3 axels and two flat tires , no flag cars, no flashing lights, multiple logging chains holding old vintage mobile home to the rear number of the old rusty 75 ford pickup ,,,

lmao

AlbertaStan Republic of Stupidity
Old 02-01-2016, 05:36 PM

Always loved this one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fifth-wheel-trailer-hitch-2.jpg (46.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg album_picCAH13QPF.jpg (59.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-01-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Always loved this one!
Oh sweet Jesus that's awesome hahaha!!!
Old 02-01-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Without weighing his passengers, hitch used, amount of firewood, generater he brings. how many pedal bikes? extra water? who knows.

My point is a 3/4 ton is NOT a blanket answer. I spoke to the AO general population thinking a halfer isn't capable of pulling a seadoo, and a 2500 capable of towing anything under the sun, is wrong.

By the thought process of more is better, we would all have tri drive peterbuilts.

Do the math, do the research. Find a local scale and learn some things. And drive responsibly, most importantly. Go to BC and you will find out your 3/4 ton isn't all the truck you think It is. They will make this clear to you with a large fine. (not speaking to anyone specifically here.)
I drive a 3500 dually as a daily driver. I've also have had my class 1 for over ten years.

I assure you that you don't need to preach to me about trailer weights.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:19 PM

I skimmed this thread but already had a conclusion. Just read the title.....

My motto: I would rather have too much truck and not use it than not enough truck and need it.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:59 AM

It really depends on what your plans are.

Would a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel be best if you pull it every week? Probably.

Unfortunately most of us only get away a couple times in the summer so adding $10,000 to cost of truck, increased oil change costs (modern diesels are a couple hundred $$ for an oil change) and having to run a big truck for the rest of the year may not be practical.

Most newer trailers are much lighter than even a few years ago - I had a 26' 1996 trailer with no slides that was actually 200 lbs heaver than my 2014 34' with 2 slides.

Any of the current model half ton trucks will be in the 10,000lb range and some will be more. I always try to stay at 80% of max.

The other thing to watch as was pointed out earlier is payload. when I was shopping for my trailer I had it narrowed down to two similar models, both 34' and within a couple pounds of dry weight, but one floor plan had over 900lbs hitch weight and the other was 560.

Not sure if that helps - but if you only get to pull the trailer a couple times a year and the rest of the year the truck is a glorified grocery getter - maybe a big ol diesel isn't the answer