Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
So to be legal, are you saying that a trailer needs to weigh less than the truck towing it?
I don't think this is what he's saying?? I think he's saying it helps - but isn't required....right???

Whatever he meant, the tow vehicle is obviously not required to be heavier than the trailer.

Sure it helps but clearly not required.

Do you think every tractor pulling a trailer down the highway is heavier than its load?? Lol
Old 01-31-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
I don't understand what you're saying. The tow vehicle is supposed to weigh more than the trailer??
Yup.

Do you think a 28 ft or longer trailer with a couple slides and full of water and gear is lighter than a 1/2 ton. I don't think so. I think that would be heavier than my F150. I know most 5th wheels, 25 - 26 ft is about max wieght for my truck, depending on slides and stuff.

They say my 2013 ecoboost can pull 11,500 lbs. I know it can.

But it's legaly only supposed to pull about 7,500 lbs acording to hiway regs etc... I think thats because of the weight of truck and brakes etc...

I saw a F150 last summer with a huge trailer behind it, over 30 ft. You could see the way it was sitting and how it pulled away from the lights that it was over it's limits. Didn't even have to look at the door sticker for that one.
Omg....

Where did you come up with that??!!!! Your own personal theories?

Because you're dead wrong. If that were the case, then I guess the maxiumum towing capacity of a One Ton Diesel Dually is only around 7,000 lbs???
The maximum tow capacity of a Peterbuilt is 18,000 lbs??? How on earth can they move an 80,000 lb trailer?!!!! You'd need one hell of a tractor!

Good grief...don't be giving out any towing advice.

Last edited by Clgy_Dave2.0; 01-31-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
I don't think this is what he's saying?? I think he's saying it helps - but isn't required....right???

Whatever he meant, the tow vehicle is obviously not required to be heavier than the trailer.

Sure it helps but clearly not required.

Do you think every tractor pulling a trailer down the highway is heavier than its load?? Lol
You are a genius. Thank you.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:43 AM

A 1 ton dually weighs in about 9,000 lbs. not 7000lbs like you say. Lots of factors in tow ratings.

All I know is that my F150 is rated for about 7,500 lbs towing. But Ford says it can pull 11,500 lbs. Guess that is the Ecoboost part. Engine can pull that amount of weight but the frame, tires, brakes, suspension, cooling etc... can only handle 7,500 lbs.

Getting back on subject, I would get a 3/4 ton or bigger to pull the trailer that the OP. is thinking about.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:44 AM

Here is the other extreme.. In the movie The Long Long Trailer the trailer used was 36 feet long and was pulled by a 1953? Mercury Monterey with a 125 HP flathead. When they traveled thru the Sierra Nevadas they switched to a Lincoln Capri which had 25 HP more, but the main reason for the switch was the better brakes on the Lincoln.

Reg
Old 01-31-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
A 1 ton dually weighs in about 9,000 lbs. not 7000lbs like you say.
Sorry...I just quickly looked at a 2016 F350 Super Duty, Dually, Long wheel base. 6.7 Diesel. Curb weight= 3538 Kg's. 7,000...9,000. Regardless. It's tow capacity is almost 19,000 lbs.

There's absolutely nothing in manufacturer's spec, or road legal specs that talk about a tow vehicle having to be heavier than the trailer.
Absolute rubbish.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
A 1 ton dually weighs in about 9,000 lbs. not 7000lbs like you say. Lots of factors in tow ratings.

All I know is that my F150 is rated for about 7,500 lbs towing. But Ford says it can pull 11,500 lbs. Guess that is the Ecoboost part. Engine can pull that amount of weight but the frame, tires, brakes, suspension, cooling etc... can only handle 7,500 lbs.

Getting back on subject, I would get a 3/4 ton or bigger to pull the trailer that the OP. is thinking about.
You're doing a lot of guessing. Weight of the tow vehicle can be much less than what you're towing.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Reread his post, he didn't say a 1 ton weighs 7000 lbs, please stop giving advice, your are out of your league on this subject.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchP View Post
Sorry about not searching the past posts. I am new to the site. The posts about going with the 3/4 ton make a lot of sense and is what my gut was telling me all along. The reason I was hoping the 1/2 ton would work is that I use the truck as a daily driver and commute 1 hour a day for work in a car pool. Does anyone out there have a 3/4 ton gas that they would recommend. I know a diesel would be the answer, but I hate the thought of running a diesel the 97% of the time I don't need it. Also with 4 kids it seems like a bumper pull is better equipped with the 4 bunks in the rear as an option on some.
The diesel will run up and down the highway just fine... With a 1 hour commute, that's plenty of time to warm up... There are some nice Duramaxes on kijiji in the $8000-$10,000 range. The pre 2004 ones are quite efficient on fuel and tow quite well... The true 4 door model (Crew cab I think they're called) are quite comfortable as far as pickups go...
Old 01-31-2016, 10:41 AM

Default Pulling with a half ton????

Went and looked at a few trucks yesterday in the city, here are my thoughts! Seems like the general consensus is to go with more truck for safety and security. Makes a lot of sense to me and I thank you guys for that input. My first choice would be a duramax. The problem is my budget does not allow for that, as I want to stay low km, which to me means 20km-40km. So I think what I will do is go with a f250 with a 6.2 or a 2500 with a 6.0. As I will be needing to install a car seat into the middle seat in the front the Ford seems like it is better set up for that as the mid seat folds up into a full seat with shoulder belt. Does anyone out there pull a camper with a 6.2 gas Ford?
Old 01-31-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Went and looked at a few trucks yesterday in the city, here are my thoughts! Seems like the general consensus is to go with more truck for safety and security. Makes a lot of sense to me and I thank you guys for that input. My first choice would be a duramax. The problem is my budget does not allow for that, as I want to stay low km, which to me means 20km-40km. So I think what I will do is go with a f250 with a 6.2 or a 2500 with a 6.0. As I will be needing to install a car seat into the middle seat in the front the Ford seems like it is better set up for that as the mid seat folds up into a full seat with shoulder belt. Does anyone out there pull a camper with a 6.2 gas Ford?
I tow a 30 foot conventional trailer with 2 slides. Total, loaded weight is 8600 lbs.
Tow vehicle is a 2006 Chev Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 6.0. We just bought that this summer for $13,000.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about a duramax with 400k on it. Just make sure the injectors were replaced...
Old 01-31-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Pull mine with the V8 6.2L CC f350. Trailer Dry weight 9600lb and it's a bumper pull. With airbags it's great.

6.2 is a great engine, not many issues overall. I was deciding between a gas or diesel and went gas - more benefits for my uses.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:59 PM

Default Pulling with a half ton????

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalhunter View Post
Pull mine with the V8 6.2L CC f350. Trailer Dry weight 9600lb and it's a bumper pull. With airbags it's great.

6.2 is a great engine, not many issues overall. I was deciding between a gas or diesel and went gas - more benefits for my uses.

That's great news. I work at a mine and we run 15-20 of the 6.2's. I talked to the mechanic and he said they have been holding up quite well. The thing is we do not pull with them, so I wasn't sure about that part. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK View Post
ecopile pfffff
Lmao you're just jealous buddy.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
That's great news. I work at a mine and we run 15-20 of the 6.2's. I talked to the mechanic and he said they have been holding up quite well. The thing is we do not pull with them, so I wasn't sure about that part. Thanks!
If you pull up a Ford website vehicle chart you can check out the difference between haul/tow capacities between the extra cab and crew cabs, the extras have more because of lower weight because of loss of cab space. Worth a look. Hard to go without a crew cab though.

I've got the 8' box, which I'm sure adds to 'sag' but like I said, a good set of airbags and your good to go. Not sure which year it started, but the manual shift option is super nice.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
As I will be needing to install a car seat into the middle seat in the front the Ford seems like it is better set up for that as the mid seat folds up into a full seat with shoulder belt.
You might want to look into the feasibility of putting that child seat in the front. It's a big no no. You'll need to look at putting one in the back and how easy it would be to reach.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:43 PM

I tow a 7500lb trailer with my ecoboost, and have towed more. I love it, way better torque then the 4.7 dodge half ton setup I towed it with prior.

Most of the problems towing can be due to the hitch being set up wrong. And as for brakes? My trailer brakes alone can stop the truck and trailer down the steepest hills.

28 L/ 100 km is my average driving 110 on Hwy 1 or 2. Weight has little to do with the mpg, wind has everything to do with it.

Would I tow 9800 lbs with it? Yup. Would I tow 9800 lbs all the time in it? No.

Diesels will net you much better fuel economy and much less shifting.

I'm a dodge guy who bought a Ford. Having built race engines I love turbos. That "little" ecoboost has a forged crank and rods, it is a very strong motor. This is why the aftermarket companies like stage 3 motorsports will warranty your driveline for 100,000 miles when you run their performance parts that bring the engine to 700 ft lbs and 500+ hp.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:34 PM

I started with a Ford F150. Then I went to a Chev 2500HD with a 6.0 l gas engine. Finally upgraded last year to a Chev 3500HD Duramax Dually. The 14' boat and trailer weigh about 1300 pounds with a tongue weight of 140. The truck is rated at 19,000.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:24 PM

Am I the only one who notices nobody giving any mention of a 3/4 being overloaded as well?

They have max payloads as well.

With the general attitude of the AO population, I'll sooner follow behind a cautious, number watching 1/2 toner then the 3/4 ton dirtymax guy doing 140 with a 40' fifth wheel and lund behind it.

More may be better, but it isnt the only route, and it doesn't make you invincible. A guy doesn't need a ken-worth to tow a tent trailer
Old 01-31-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
Am I the only one who notices nobody giving any mention of a 3/4 being overloaded as well?

With the general attitude of the AO population, I'll sooner follow behind a cautious, number watching 1/2 toner then the 3/4 ton dirtymax guy doing 140 with a 40' fifth wheel and lund behind it.

More may be better, but it isnt the only route, and it doesn't make you invincible. A guy doesn't need a ken-worth to tow a tent trailer
He wasn't asking about a "tent trailer" - he was asking about a 30 foot trailer with several slides and a truck load of people in a half ton. 3/4 ton or bigger were the majority of replies, which is the right answer.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
He wasn't asking about a "tent trailer" - he was asking about a 30 foot trailer with several slides and a truck load of people in a half ton. 3/4 ton or bigger were the majority of replies, which is the right answer.
The tent trailer quote was meant to make a point. you missed that.

Otherwise, you are still wreckless. Without knowing the weights of people, gear and specs of a truck. You are signing off as totally safe because its a 3/4 ton. You only solidfy my point. Thanks.

Your answer is simply the most dangerous and incorrect. I will paraphase i your statement to, again, make my point. "buy a 3/4 or 1 ton, and your good, regardless of weights"

Again, the cautios 1/2 ton driver is a far safer person than the overinflated puffed chested 3/4 ton driver. Its a 3/4 ton, after the ego of the driver is loaded up. most payload is gone anyways. You still have to do the math.

Is a 3/4 a better puller then a half, sure. But to say your good to tow the mountains back home with you. Is a dangerous train of thought.

Ive seen many of 3/4 tons overloaded. But since its a diesel, lets get at er. I've seen many of 1 ton duallys overloaded. But hey, its a dually. I only hope the DOT crack down on this train of thought. Everyone preaches the numbers aganst a half ton, but simply ignore them on anything with a 2500 or bigger bagde.

It may be better, but it still isnt the right answer.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:38 PM

I have a 8 Year old Nomad 29ft with one slide. it weighs dry about 6450. When I bought it I had a 2011 F150. it pulled it fine but I did have to put Firestone airbags in. Before I put the bags in the truck would wander a bit at highway speeds and was not at all pleasant. Put the bags in and problem solved. The bags were really easy to install. Took about 2 hrs total. No drilling was required. I now have an F350 with a 6.7 and don't even know the trailer is behind.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:

Otherwise, you are still wreckless. Without knowing the weights of people, gear and specs of a truck. You are signing off as totally safe because its a 3/4 ton. You only solidfy my point. Thanks.

Your answer is simply the most dangerous and incorrect. I will paraphase i your statement to, again, make my point. "buy a 3/4 or 1 ton, and your good, regardless of weights"

Again, the cautios 1/2 ton driver is a far safer person than the overinflated puffed chested 3/4 ton driver. Its a 3/4 ton, after the ego of the driver is loaded up. most payload is gone anyways. You still have to do the math.

Is a 3/4 a better puller then a half, sure. But to say your good to tow the mountains back home with you. Is a dangerous train of thought.

Ive seen many of 3/4 tons overloaded. But since its a diesel, lets get at er. I've seen many of 1 ton duallys overloaded. But hey, its a dually. I only hope the DOT crack down on this train of thought. Everyone preaches the numbers aganst a half ton, but simply ignore them on anything with a 2500 or bigger bagde.

I didn't miss your point. I was just pointing out you failed to miss the OP actual situation.

I agree with everything else you've brought up.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:

X2
I work with 3 guys with ¾ ton dodge diesels. 3 for 3, overloaded with family and fifth wheels.
I have a GMC 1500 max tow and have 250 lbs less cargo weight available than one of them. you need to look at the weights and do the math in order to know if the truck is being overloaded. then you need to drive that rig like you are pulling a trailer with your family on board not like your late for your funeral. Contrary to popular belief the highways in Alberta don't have to be travelled at 10 km/h over the limit, the limit or 10 under is also ok.
Have a look at this rig, 30'11'' 2 slides and GVWR is 7600 lbs thats a tongue weight of about 950-1100 lbs. It doesn't have to be all doom and gloom, make sure you are safe, and enjoy teaching the young ones about the outdoors.
http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-de...delID=345#Main
Old 02-01-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterRed View Post
X2
I work with 3 guys with ¾ ton dodge diesels. 3 for 3, overloaded with family and fifth wheels.
Yes.. Its quite amusing because most 1/2 tons have more payload than the older 3/4t's (mid-90 til about 2008), specifically when it is a 3/4t w/diesel.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:

This.. x1million..

It's quite scary what I see on the road pulling trailers.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I didn't miss your point. I was just pointing out you failed to miss the OP actual situation.

I agree with everything else you've brought up.

Without weighing his passengers, hitch used, amount of firewood, generater he brings. how many pedal bikes? extra water? who knows.

My point is a 3/4 ton is NOT a blanket answer. I spoke to the AO general population thinking a halfer isn't capable of pulling a seadoo, and a 2500 capable of towing anything under the sun, is wrong.

By the thought process of more is better, we would all have tri drive peterbuilts.

Do the math, do the research. Find a local scale and learn some things. And drive responsibly, most importantly. Go to BC and you will find out your 3/4 ton isn't all the truck you think It is. They will make this clear to you with a large fine. (not speaking to anyone specifically here.)
Old 02-01-2016, 10:16 AM
Banned

And to pull a non commercial trailer in BC over 4600 kg the driver needs to complete a Government DOT licensing proceedure on safe trailer towing methods , including a test and practical test witnessed by a Motor Vehicle Licence officer,

Known as endorsement # 20 for recreational users with DL ratings classes of 5 and 7,

Or if it floats your boat take a commercial Driver licensing upgrade to 1,2 or 3

Operating a vehicle towing a trailer without DOT/CVSE endorsement can nullify insurance and make the driver and/or owner liable as insurance would be invalid.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Without weighing his passengers, hitch used, amount of firewood, generater he brings. how many pedal bikes? extra water? who knows.

My point is a 3/4 ton is NOT a blanket answer. I spoke to the AO general population thinking a halfer isn't capable of pulling a seadoo, and a 2500 capable of towing anything under the sun, is wrong.

By the thought process of more is better, we would all have tri drive peterbuilts.

Do the math, do the research. Find a local scale and learn some things. And drive responsibly, most importantly. Go to BC and you will find out your 3/4 ton isn't all the truck you think It is. They will make this clear to you with a large fine. (not speaking to anyone specifically here.)
I didn't see that concept said anywhere in the thread. I saw people recommending a 3/4 ton for the OP's situation.
Yes, weigh both your units and look up the capacities. ...but you don't have to be running to the scales every time you add an extra backpack.
A standard 30 foot trailer will be well under 10,000 lbs, even fully loaded with gear. (mine is 8600 With 2 slides, and we pack A LOT into it!)
And a family of four inside the cab will pretty much always fall within tow & cargo capacities of a 3/4 ton. Not so with a half.
Everyone seems to want to nitpick and disect every statement made on AO just so they can tell them they're wrong. I think the general idea was properly conveyed here.