Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post
You are going to get so many replies from no issue to you will be dead in 5 minutes of hitting the road.
First how much towing are you going to do? If you are only towing a few miles once or twice a year then you have to decide if having a 3/4 or 1 ton is worth it for the rest of the year.
Or are you are going to be going long distances and or over the mountains or making many trips?
The new 1/2 tons with a full camper package will pull 5th wheels that are built for them or a 6 or 7 thousand pound bumper pull with a good hitch no issue.
But don't expect the P tires on them to work you will need to have 8 or 10 ply light truck tires.
It all depends on what you are want to do while camping and what you will be doing when not.
I have a 2010 F150 pulling a 30 foot 7200 bumper pull. Now it took the right hitch, airbags and some juggling with what we take with us to make it work but it does and I have had no issues with the amount of towing and camping we do. I just could not justify having a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel for the rest of the year.

You however have a family of six and that puts you in a different situation than me. If that F150 has the max camper specs then you may be ok. But I think you may be pushing the limit as you will have a whole lot more than what my wife and I have with us.
If you can justify having a 3/4 or 1 ton gas or diesel then that would probably be best but it will be a tank the rest of the year.
Also DO NOT believe anything the truck salesman or especially the trailer salesman tells you about what will pull what cause they will lie lie lie to you.
The OP's trailer will be close to 10,000 lbs.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:11 PM
Banned

for that many trips a yr i would just rent a motorhome
Old 01-23-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK View Post
for that many trips a yr i would just rent a motorhome
At around $1500 per week? No thanks.

We camp up to 6 times a year and can go at the drop of a hat.
For a $13,000 Initial investment, there's no way renting is viable. For us anyways.

My sister camps maybe once every three years. She rented. Once. Not sure if she'll do it again.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchP View Post
Haha love it!!! Not sure what the wife and kids are going to say when we pull into a spot at 11:00pm after along days drive. The wife especially she's known to be grumpy at these times (aren't they all??). lol I had a laugh playing this out in my head.
So true. I pulled into a KOA at West Glacier Montana one night 10pm. with my 12v - cummins ( sounds like a tractor) sorry al you RV'ers, but suck it up, that's how diesels used to sound( gotta love it).
Old 01-23-2016, 12:26 PM
Banned

It would be nice if gas prices stayed low this summer so more people could get out and enjoy the outdoors being able to afford to use what they work hard for.
Current gas prices will give me an extra $40 for other things to enhance the camping trip such as another night in our great public campgrounds !

related but no quite a derail ===~~==
Old 01-23-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
So true. I pulled into a KOA at West Glacier Montana one night 10pm. with my 12v - cummins ( sounds like a tractor) sorry al you RV'ers, but suck it up, that's how diesels used to sound( gotta love it).
That's OK. I will start my generator at 5 AM (Sounds like a tractor) or my chain saw ( even louder) Suck it up if your next to me. That's how generators and chain saws used to sound. (gotta love it)

Get the drift?

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-23-2016, 12:32 PM

I completely get not wanting a heavier truck 12 months of the year. I don't blame you one bit.

I would be completely rethinking your trailer though, and with 4 kids and your limits on tow weight, you don't have that many options.

I would take a good look at these, they are a lot bigger than you'd think and very family friendly.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:46 PM

Get this unit for you and your wife. 1/2 ton would pull easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBXsWmpmLKY

And then get a truck tent like this for the kids to "camp" in. (picture from the internet)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck tent.jpg (193.0 KB, 39 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-23-2016, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
I completely get not wanting a heavier truck 12 months of the year. I don't blame you one bit.

I would be completely rethinking your trailer though, and with 4 kids and your limits on tow weight, you don't have that many options.

I would take a good look at these, they are a lot bigger than you'd think and very family friendly.

The sister inlaw bought one of these and hated it!The pop outs/slides were flimpsy,the heat escaped easily,the noise would come in and she was scared of bears grabbing them through the canvas walls.It took them 2-3 yrs to sell it and took a huge loss.

The biggest thing you have to consider is the safety of your family,in an emergency a 1/2 ton just doesn't have the breakin power to stop you like a 3/4 ton or 1 ton does.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:54 PM

I've towed many trailers with many trucks, currently I tow my 22' holiday trailer with a 3.5 l ecoboost, I was very surprised at how well it performed. You will not regret the trade, if you decide to stick with the gmc, go with the max!!! The displacement the turbo provides, is very suitable for towing in the foot hills or the mountains.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
The OP's trailer will be close to 10,000 lbs.
I do believe I said it probably wouldn't work for him.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchP View Post
I have a family of six and I am in the market for a camper trailer. I will be looking for a bumper pull in the 28-30 foot range with 1-2 slides. My question to you is will I be disappointed with pulling this type of trailer with a 1/2 ton? I have decided that I will be trading my 2008 gmc with a 5.3 and 3:73 gearing for a Ford Eco 3.5 with 3:73. I have tried pulling a 26 foot with no slides(6000lbs) with the gm truck and thought a piston was going to pop out of the hood as it was in 2nd gear up most hills and in any wind. Looking for all or any thoughts and experiences.
I pull a 32 foot trailer with 2 slides - loaded weight 9500 lbs with my GMC 1/2 ton all the time - but it's made for that.

However, only ever myself or one passenger with me - so I am not exceeding the load limit of the pickup.

Pull that same trailer with 6 people and all their gear and you will be over the limit. Not really safe IMO.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:01 PM

my trailer is a 8000lb loaded weight toyhauler . i pulled it with a hemi half ton for a couple years with no real issue other than the trailer sat really low to the road, then bought a hemi 3/4 ton. it was way better in everyway except not having mds made it a pig on fuel . now i have a 1 ton diesel and there is no going back . the new hemi 3/4 tons have mds and are ok for mileage compared to a few years ago plus coil sprung rear suspension so they ride more like a half ton .
Old 01-23-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Pulling a 10,000 lb trailer with a half ton, gas engine?!!!

Good luck!
I do it all the time. It's no problem if you have the right setup and have scaled all the weights.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I do it all the time. It's no problem if you have the right setup and have scaled all the weights.
It's no problem until there is a problem.

You're 1/2 ton has a 17,000 lb GCWR??? I doubt that very much.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
It's no problem until there is a problem.

You're 1/2 ton has a 17,000 lb GCWR??? I doubt that very much.
Nope - 16,000 lb GCWR. Most the trailer every weighed is just under 9500 lbs so no problem.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Nope - 16,000 lb GCWR. Most the trailer every weighed is just under 9500 lbs so no problem.
Plus the weight of your truck, including passengers and cargo. (GCWR = "combined weight") Which has to be close to 7,000 my guess.
Which means you're pretty much "max'ing out" your numbers.

Doable...but it's pushing it.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Plus the weight of your truck, including passengers and cargo. (GCWR = "combined weight") Which has to be close to 7,000 my guess.
Which means you're pretty much "max'ing out" your numbers.

Doable...but it's pushing it.
Most of the time it is only me and no gear in the pickup. Rarely, with 1 passenger.

Would I take a family of 6 and all their gear. No way, no how, no chance.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Most of the time it is only me and no gear in the pickup. Rarely, with 1 passenger.

Would I take a family of 6 and all their gear. No way, no how, no chance.
Regardless...pulling a 10,000 lb trailer with a 7,000 lb half-ton is over the limit.
Not "no problem" like your first post suggests.
I would bet your truck and one passenger is 7,000 lbs. Add 9500 to that and you're over your GCWR. Or at the very least "max'ing out" as I said.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Regardless...pulling a 10,000 lb trailer with a 7,000 lb half-ton is over the limit.
Not "no problem" like your first post suggests.
I would bet your truck and one passenger is 7,000 lbs. Add 9500 to that and you're over your GCWR. Or at the very least "max'ing out" as I said.
I am not exceeding any limits. Payload or otherwise.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
That's OK. I will start my generator at 5 AM (Sounds like a tractor) or my chain saw ( even louder) Suck it up if your next to me. That's how generators and chain saws used to sound. (gotta love it)

Get the drift?
I think gen's & chainsaws pretty much still sound the same, diesels not so much, not our fault we didn't design them, get the drift?
Old 01-23-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
The sister inlaw bought one of these and hated it!The pop outs/slides were flimpsy,the heat escaped easily,the noise would come in and she was scared of bears grabbing them through the canvas walls.It took them 2-3 yrs to sell it and took a huge loss.

The biggest thing you have to consider is the safety of your family,in an emergency a 1/2 ton just doesn't have the breakin power to stop you like a 3/4 ton or 1 ton does.
I have a family of 6, and my baby is now 20. When my family was young we had one and loved it.

Wifey and I are empty nesters and just bought a trailer again last year. Haven't camped in years. Wifey really wanted a hybrid again because we had so many fond memories when the family was younger.

To each their own. But I think these are a great choice for familes.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I am not exceeding any limits. Payload or otherwise.
We are about the same. Can't travel with any of the tanks full and must load the trailer properly. Did all this a few times at the weigh scales and have it dialled in now. I'm under gvw but if not careful will go over back axle by a couple hundred pounds.
I only cruise around a 100 but get passed all the time by others with the diesels doing 120 plus with 30 or 40 foot trailers.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:03 PM

I have the F150 no ecoboost my trailer is 30ft 1 superslide and weighs 9100 lbs dry. I pull it with my truck twice a year and it it will pull it, lots of power but it's sure hell not the right anwer. I don't have to deal with any big hills or tricky driving just a straight shot to the lake in the spring and back in the fall.
I'd recommend more truck, smaller bumper hitch or a 5th wheel.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:14 PM

For what it's worth - you are carrying precious cargo (not the trailer, your family).

Towing a trailer that large with a half ton is not a good idea. Besides the fact you will probably be overloaded anyways - you will be white knuckling it the entire trip, and factors that you can't control (wind, weather, other drivers) will always be in the back of your mind.

Do yourself (and your family) a favor and step up to a 3/4 ton. It doesn't have to be a diesel, but they are nice.

Newer 3/4 tons (dodge with coil link rear suspension) and gm 3/4 tons are quite comfortable to drive year round.

Don't be "one of those guys" on the highway this summer.

Cheers
Old 01-23-2016, 04:57 PM

I remember growing up with a small airstream trailer that us kids were only allowed in if it was raining or for lunch. (Never lunched where the trailer was) We had a riot away from the adults in our tent. My bro has that trailer now and when I visit, I'll take it out if he's not using it.

I have one of these now: https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/rvd/5404904887.html and really like it for the 'family' of 5. I use the front double drop down if necessary, the evil half has the queen off the back with one of the dogs. The other dog loves going under the table drop down in the front when it's in bed mode, otherwise he prefers being outside, and the cat commands the table bed, when he decides not to sleep on me.

If weather sucks, we don't drop the ends and endure each other, but if I had kids, they'd be out in the tent learning the ways of tent living.

I've never given bears a thought, even growing up in the mean woods of Vancouver Isle.

Oh yeah, it's pulled with a Sport Trac.

Last edited by HalfBreed; 01-23-2016 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Picture used is not my trailer.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:05 PM

I pulled my parents 8000lb dry weight trailer with my ram rated for 10500. It was a bit squirrelly on the highway, but I pulled over, cranked up the torsion bars and then it was fine. The truck guzzled fuel (3/4 tank from Calgary to rocky)

I couldn't imagine pulling a trailer like that with an ecoboost. That little engine will be just screaming to put out the power. Do you want to be in boost the whole way?
Old 01-23-2016, 05:14 PM
Banned

funny how opinions change on here! I recently posted a question about using a pentastar v6 ram to pull a boat and people were saying NO WAYYYY and now its ok to pull a 30' trailer with an ecoboost?
Old 01-23-2016, 05:21 PM

Think I remember a simpsons episode where Homer was pulling a
camper like that with a honda civic. No problem, doe!

JK.

Seriously, 3/4 ton or better as mentioned before.
Also think a standard trans. would be highly worth while (with aux.
trans. radiator (if C6 automatic) and electric trailer brake package if not a fifth wheel).

Used to pull a 4 horse 16' steel Morrets stock trailer with an '86 F250 4x4
302 ci, std. trans, frame mounted reese hitch, 2 1/4" ball, electric trailer breaks.
No problems, but you could tell when you had to lean on the breaks loaded
on a downhill, you did NOT want anything less.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
funny how opinions change on here! I recently posted a question about using a pentastar v6 ram to pull a boat and people were saying NO WAYYYY and now its ok to pull a 30' trailer with an ecoboost?
That's because the ecoboost has double the power