Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2012, 07:10 PM

Default Need piles.... screw or concrete

Local building inspector informed us today that we need 12' pilings for a deck addon.

Can anyone recommend someone that could help us out?? We are (of course) looking for the most cost effective solution.

We have to have 8 for the addition. We *do* have an overhead residential service line that could be an issue. Can send pics.

I have had great luck with recommendations from AO
Old 08-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by doetracks View Post
Local building inspector informed us today that we need 12' pilings for a deck addon.

Can anyone recommend someone that could help us out?? We are (of course) looking for the most cost effective solution.

We have to have 8 for the addition. We *do* have an overhead residential service line that could be an issue. Can send pics.

I have had great luck with recommendations from AO
you sure he said 12 feet (?) for deck pilings???????
Old 08-23-2012, 07:14 PM

Yup..

Trust me, I questioned it. City of Edmonton doesn't appear to require that extent for decks UNDER 6 ' (which ours is). Doesn't matter, the Town of Devon seems to like ridiculous overkill.

Quote:

"Hello Sylvia, all piles are considered deep foundations with respect to the Code; and all would require specific engineering from a Professional Engineer; however based on design and experience over the years, attached decks are a considered an extension of the home and therefore they shall have foundations that also meet loads and frost conditions; therefore piles are required from common use in most areas of 12” X 12 Deep with full length rebar. The main reason is that there is no heat going to the piles, so frost will wick down the pile and maybe only 5 or 6 feet of the pile will be resisting frost uplift. As an alternative you could go with approve steel screw piles they usually only have to be placed in 8 feet deep, or have engineering approval for concrete piles that are less than 12 feet deep."

It's a 3' high deck around my friggin hot tub.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:15 PM

if screw piles do they want them engineered cause if they do its quite expensive i would go with just concrete. and how deep do they have to go
Old 08-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Yup..

Trust me, I questioned it. City of Edmonton doesn't appear to require that extent for decks UNDER 6 ' (which ours is). Doesn't matter, the Town of Devon seems to like ridiculous overkill.
WOW!!!!!!....I would be calling somebody on that......talk about overkill!!!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:16 PM

what diameter of pilings
Old 08-23-2012, 07:18 PM

I added in the email I got from the inspector today. 12" x 12'
Old 08-23-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
WOW!!!!!!....I would be calling somebody on that......talk about overkill!!!!!
Who am I going to call???

I was hoping the email would be sufficient for questioning. Guess not. It's a bit ridiculous.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:19 PM

leave an inch between your deck and the house, then it's not attached and no pilings required. I just saved you a pile of money.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:20 PM

Problem is, it's an addition to an existing deck, which *is* attached to the house. Don't think we can free float all if it, but I'm no builder...
Old 08-23-2012, 07:21 PM

leave an inch between the decks.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Who am I gonna call???
better yet, dig 12" deep pilings, put the cement and posts in....and for heavens sake don't tell him it's for around your hot tub....he will have u digging to China for those pilings.....and he will not be there when you pour the pilings, sorry, can't believe that, maybe it's a typo in his e-mail????
BTW, when I was going to put my first Hot Tub on the deck, the foot print for a 1450l tub amounted to 67# per square foot...yup, 12' would be needed....NOT!!!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:26 PM

How high is this deck off the ground doetracks?

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 08-23-2012, 07:27 PM

Make the new addition one step down, don't join it and lay down sidewalk blocks then place concrete deck holders on top and build the deck. That way it isn't joined and should be fine with no pilings
Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 PM

i had to use engineered screw piles for my house it took 20 piles same specs as what you said 12x12 and just for the piles was 7000$ and i had a family friend screw them in with a skid steer so i saved there i find it crazy for what there asking for just a deck around hot tub
Old 08-23-2012, 07:29 PM

If your going to use piles yes they have to be 12' in Leduc county, Beaumont County, or Strathcona County. In edmonton they are supposed to be below the undisturbed soil. the most cost effective way is to use Pier stands on patio blocks, dig to clay, used compacted road crush and sand to level. Pier stands can be used to create the structure required by building codes and screw jacks can be added to the stands so that in the event of sagging or shifting the structure can be re-leveled.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:45 PM

My buddy used screw piles for his deck , we took off for a morning scout and the guy was finished when we got back for lunch!
Cat
Old 08-23-2012, 07:50 PM

I will post a picture of our plan when I get home.

Deck will be 3' above ground. Hot tub will be on the ground (it's already on a 4" concrete pad) and the deck will be built below the lip of the hot tub.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I will post a picture of our plan when I get home.

Deck will be 3' above ground. Hot tub will be on the ground (it's already on a 4" concrete pad) and the deck will be built below the lip of the hot tub.
so...it's not really a deck?...don't attach it and carry on....
Old 08-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Silly question, but has anyone seen your yard or the drawings?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-23-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Silly question, but has anyone seen your yard or the drawings?
Had to submit a plan when we applied for the permit. I am going to attach that plan momentarily. Red writing is from the inspector.

I also sent pictures with the email today, and the reply I posted above was in response to my email.

Last edited by doetracks; 08-23-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:30 PM

Same story here in Lloyd. 12 foot piles, went to an engineer and he said "who told you 12 feet" I replied the city, thinking he was on my side, until he replied "you should go atleast 15" WTF! After engineering, the guys digging the piles told me ya we know it says 12 feet, but as soon as we hit water we stop and dump the concrete in, nobody ever knows....
The engineer said the depth was so that the piles would not float out of the ground due to ground water, and not so much the frost heave aspect. You never know. I do know i have $12,500 worth of cement under my feet every time I walk outside, but nobody else does
Old 08-24-2012, 05:02 AM

8X - 12" X 12' piles? Almost be more cost effect to just pour 3' thick concrete deck, won't need any piles then. LOL
Thats just crazy. 4' to 6' just be just fine, after all its just a deck with no load except the weight of the deck and people. Should ask if there are other piles that can be used, like a bell pile and how big and deep that would have to be.

When I put my deck in, 15 years ago edmonton. 5 piles 3' - 4' deep and no problems. Deck is 12' X 28' After all I have a bi-level and the basement is only 4' under ground.

Should be able to check on-line for the building codes for your area or check them at the local building inspector or permit office.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:57 AM

We did a shop in Medicine Hat and they wanted 12 - 8" x 5' deep concrete piles under the floor complete with rebar.. We did it and had the inspector come by and he was good with it.. When the concrete showed up Saturday morning, so did he and he remeasured each one and waited until we had half of them in the poured before he left..

A friend of ours that had done lots of concrete work around the city asked WTF for?? Dad said it was because when he applied for the building permit, they asked if it was going to be heated and he said yes...
Old 08-24-2012, 08:07 AM

Holy crap. Horror stories.

I am going to go into the town office today. I know the inspector that signed our permit isn't in, but maybe the other one is.

There has to be a better solution.. the bell piles were not even suggested, we were discussing them last night along with not physically attaching the new portion of the deck to the house or existing deck. Hubby doesn't think it's feasible.

I don't know.. this isn't looking good for us in any case. We certainly don't have an extra pile of money sitting around.

As a side note....

I can not get any building codes online. All I could find are city/town information brochures. Edmonton says 12" x 12' for over 6' decks but not for under 6', I sent them the links. Leduc wants 12' as well... for everything.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Gone Hunting

I slept like a baby last night knowing Devon has such a regulation.

I'm not an engineer or an inspector, but I did date a piano teacher once and this is nearly the most ridiculous thing I've seen from city hall.

But if it saves one job, I guess it's worth it.

Good luck with your project. I doubt anyone in city hall will try to find a solution for you.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-24-2012, 08:22 AM

Smile Kodiak is right

Wife and I built one like that in Stettler county, just set special concrete blocks on the ground and placed 4x4 posts on the blocks and laid the deck on top of the posts. It hasn't moved for 3 years! Very cheap. It is NOT attached to house, 1/4 inch clearance.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 AM

still concern regarding the overhead power line...
Old 08-24-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
still concern regarding the overhead power line...
That part was inspected and passed inspection. Just two guys, though - who knows what anyone else will say? Just takes one.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:50 AM

And hearing this, does anyone wonder why so much work is done without permits!!! As a professional engineer, I have to say what you have been told to do is one of the stupidest things I have heard.

Vic