Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Strang feelings...

So we've all had that feeling come across us at one time or another when in the bush. Is it a gut feeling that something doesn't add up or was it a noise we couldn't identify? There are a couple small area's up in the mountians that I avoid and skirt around because of the feelings I get going through them. The horse's even become skittish and seem more than happy to avoid these same area's. It is unbelievably quite with a feeling of heaviness, if thats the right word, comes over you. When you do go through these area's you feel almost as if your energy level drops in half. Out the other side and it's like a weights been lifted of you and you feel normal again. Anyone ever run into this before.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Banned

Nope,,, I have spent a life time growing up in the bush... Whether it be working guide camps with my late father or working trap lines with family friends,, or just spending endless days out there.. And I can honestly say I never feel more comfortable or more relaxed as when I sleep in the bush... And I have never had the big boogie monster come and visit.. Might just be me being at home and at peice with where I am,,, but that's my experiences..
Old 09-09-2007, 11:37 PM

Thanks for starting this thread, Bruce! I was going to after Wave's Nordegg thread, but since I am leaving on a spur of the moment elk hunt I have been extra nice to my wife for the past couple of days!

Walleyes....come on! After all of your years in the bush you have never encountered a spot where things just 'got QUIET'? You've never found a place where things just didn't 'feel' right? If so, that's too bad.

Although I have had an experience that played along Wave's lines, I'll keep it to myself......for now.

Years ago in Nova Scotia, I came across a realitively remote area of bush that did NOT feel right. Can't describe it any other way. It was silent, no birds, no squirels, no ANYTHING. Something caught my eye amongst the trees, and upon further investigation, it turned out to be a gravestone. One of about 20. Only one still stood, most were fallen, and one even had a 200 year old spruce tree growing through it. The years even resulted in one 'coffin' being pushed to the surface, with a corner of it being exposed. The birth dates on a number of the stones (that were still readable) were from the mid to late 1700's! The only person I ever showed this place to was my father, and he agreed with me in terms of the 'feel' of the site. Every time I visited this lost graveyard over the years, it was always 'silent', but once the weird creepiness wore off, I certainly felt a sense of peace and quiet serenity there.

Tree
Old 09-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Gone Hunting

"It is unbelievably quite with a feeling of heaviness, if thats the right word, comes over you. When you do go through these area's you feel almost as if your energy level drops in half. Out the other side and it's like a weights been lifted of you and you feel normal again. Anyone ever run into this before."

Hmmm! sounds like my first marriage.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Gone Hunting

Red face

I have run into this phenomenum several times over the last 36 years of hunting in Alberta, as I think back I can still recall the locations & the way I felt at the time. In some of those instances I found gravesites in close proximity (like what was shared in an earlier post), but in other instances it was something different thats hard to wrap my head around never mind to explain in writing on a forum like this, some such times have felt very good while others have felt dark & opressive. All I can say is there are places & times when we come in contact with forces that are not part of our normal existance. I have some thoughts on this, theology if you will, but I prefer to keep such thoughts to myself, or perhaps share around a campfire with hunting buddies.

--Ken
Old 09-10-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
"It is unbelievably quite with a feeling of heaviness, if thats the right word, comes over you. When you do go through these area's you feel almost as if your energy level drops in half. Out the other side and it's like a weights been lifted of you and you feel normal again. Anyone ever run into this before."

Hmmm! sounds like my first marriage.

The only thing heavy in the woods is my pack. As a matter of fact I'm sure that gravity is stronger then when I was young making that 40 pound pack feel more like 80 maybe 90 pounds! And while I'm at it anybody else notice that the mountains are steeper and the air thinner than before or how jeans makers don't know how to make a size 32 jean that fits any more?
Hmmm, while I'm sitting here I'm getting a heavy feeling deep in my guts.... wait that is just last nights baked beans!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:49 AM
s_buffalo

Quote:
It is unbelievably quiet with a feeling of heaviness, if thats the right word, comes over you.
I've had that, but mostly in urban settings... Mind you, I don't spend nearly as much time in the woods as I wish I could.

Quote:
All I can say is there are places & times when we come in contact with forces that are not part of our normal existance. I have some thoughts on this, theology if you will
I'm with you on that one, Ken.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:26 PM

I have felt a similair feeling. I call it my spidey sense.
I like to walk pre dawn into a hunting area, so walking in deep woods by moonlight is always a bit nerving considering our limited senses.
If i get a weird feeling, I stop and look around till the feeling passes. I'm pretty sure most of the time it is some animal looking at me (though most of the time deer).
Also when i hunt i try not to stare directly at the animal i am hunting for the same reason.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:23 PM

wow I sleep out side in nothing but a bag and tarp overhead and never feel weird. Never walking have I had a bad feeling.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Banned

Ohhhh I've had those "hee-bee-geeby" feelings more than a few times...not sure how to explain it ...also had those double checks over the shoulder thinking sure as hell someone is watching me while I meander down an isolated cutline...I get this shiver that goes thru me...and then I make sure my gun is "cocked,locked and ready to ROCK"
Old 09-10-2007, 09:04 PM

Had this feeling in my younger years up in the Whitecourt area. Always had it in certain areas up there. Then one day I had a grizz come up to about 3 ft behind me while I was sitting on a log eating a sandwich. All I heard was a twig snap and I turned my head and was looking right into his eyes about 3 ft behind me. I just set my sandwich down and grabbed my rifle from across my knees slowly stood up and walked away. Heard him ruffling through my pack getting the rest of my sandwiches and chocolate bars. Since then I have listened to my inner senses and when I get that feeling I hi-tale it out of there. Only hunted the area a few more years before heading to other closer areas.When I met my partner he said I was as white as a ghost.
as far as my pack goes I hope he choked on it.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:36 PM

Here's the explanation I was given by a native friend many years ago:

"Sometimes when you're walking through the bush you come across a spot that just doesn't feel 'right' - even though it looks just like the same area you just walked through. Even if the sun is shining, these spots seem colder, darker and quieter. That's because bad spirits live there.
Sometimes you come across a spot that looks the same as anywhere else, yet it seems warmer - almost 'happier'. That's because good spirits live there.

Bad things don't always happen in places where bad spirits reside, but all things being equal - if something bad *is* going to happen - it'll usually happen in a bad spirit place.

Everybody can sense these bad spirits, (it's called 'instinct'), but those who are removed from the natural world tend to ignore or push away what their instincts are trying to tell them, and get in trouble.

If a place just *feels bad*, pay attention to your instincts and keep moving before you stop to have lunch, set up camp, or wait for a deer. Why tempt the bad spirits into causing trouble for you?"

Might sound hokey - but I've learned that there's something to this 'instinct' thing and it can't hurt by moving along!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:40 PM

I've had some strang vibes in the past cant explain them but you just knew something was'nt quite right. The wierdest one was when I was in the Reserves, and we went on a defensive exercise out by Red Water, we left Greisbach about 6:00 at night and it was mostly dark when we de bussed, a couple hour route march made it totally dark. Our section leader told us where to dig our "I" trenches, and when he showed me where my fire team partner and I were to dig ours I said No F-ing way. Not sure why, so we dug our trench about 10 yards away from where we were told. Something just felt off about that first place. We dug in did some partolling, set out trip flares and waited for the enemy force to show. well about 3 AM a big micro burst blew in, and dumped a 18"diameter spruce tree right on the spot where they wanted us to originally dig our trench. When the Master Corpral made it to our trench to see if we were ok, he said I looked like I was a corpse I was so white.
From that day on I trust my gut, usually if it gets that odd sort of feeling I just move on.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-10-2007, 10:05 PM

Default bwa

Whoa, and to think all these years I kept it to myself thinking I was crazy. I was still hunting in the bush about 100 meters from a cut line. I came to a spot that just gave me the creeps and for some reason I could not help looking over my shoulder every 5 seconds. After a few minutes I decided I was too creeped out and hauled ass back to the cut line. Cant say what it was really, just a creeped right the f*@^ out feeling.

On the topic of instinct there is a book I think everyone should read. The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker. Great book to read if your interested on the subject of instinct or if you just want to make sure you don't die. The gist of the book is basically, if a situation feels terribly wrong, thats because it is.

Last edited by Senator; 09-10-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:27 PM

I get that feeling every time I walk into my work place. I don't think its the place, Pretty sure it's 'work' thats givin me the heebeegeebees Gets really bad in hunting season.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:32 PM

I was walking a ridge one time when I just had to have c**P. I had an terribly uneasy feeling, but I had to do what I had to do. I made sure I had a round chambered in my gun and set it on the bipod just in front of me, the entire time the hair on the back of my neck was just standing on end.......I no sooner finished and walked 30-40 feet and saw a rather large cinnamon black bear standing on his back legs watching me over a big deadfall......needless to say, it was the only year I never had a bear tag. But I must say, if and when you get that uneasy feeling, trust your instincts and stay sharp. LOL

Last edited by elnino54; 09-10-2007 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:35 PM

Thumper, there is a truth in your post. Thanks for sharing those words!

I love all of the stories guys, keep 'em coming. But, conversely, I have hit many little areas that just 'felt right'. Again, hard to explain, but I seem to find them often, and try to make a point of just stopping there and taking everything in. Very cool (and NO, I DON'T smoke up! ), and worth even a little as an extra 30 seconds sometimes.

Tree
Old 09-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I get that feeling every time I walk into my work place. I don't think its the place, Pretty sure it's 'work' thats givin me the heebeegeebees Gets really bad in hunting season.
Lmao, you and me both.

Interesting thread guys...i will be paying more attention to this sort of thing in the future. Sure i've had it happen but my memory for the past really sucks so can't give any examples but i seem to remember times i ramped up my watch, got ready for war, and adrenaline pumping etc. etc. but when it happens again i'll be thinking about this thread!
Old 09-11-2007, 02:44 PM

This thread reminds me of the time I saw StinkyC levitate from a sitting position and turn 180 degrees with his gun pointing into the row of willows we were sitting up against in about 1/10th of a second....Very Huge accomplishment considering Stinky's normal gracefull movements......I believe the hair on the back of his neck was upright.....and all the while, 10 feet away, I saw nothing, heard nuthin, felt nuttin......I am however convinced that Stinky sensed something.......
Old 09-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Doc Holiday

[QUOTE=Senator;53291

On the topic of instinct there is a book I think everyone should read. The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker. Great book to read if your interested on the subject of instinct or if you just want to make sure you don't die. [/QUOTE]

" just to make sure ya dont die?????"..............

Ummmmmm........ya. Gonna be pickin that one up fer sure I'd be guessin.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadnutz View Post
This thread reminds me of the time I saw StinkyC levitate from a sitting position and turn 180 degrees with his gun pointing into the row of willows we were sitting up against in about 1/10th of a second....Very Huge accomplishment considering Stinky's normal gracefull movements......I believe the hair on the back of his neck was upright.....and all the while, 10 feet away, I saw nothing, heard nuthin, felt nuttin......I am however convinced that Stinky sensed something.......

Okay...i see how its gonna be....your lucky i don't have as good a memory for the past as you but if i think back hard enough to some of the times i laughed so hard i had tears in my eyes i'm quite i'll find it was you that was the cause of it.

I'll have yall know...we were calling in wolf country...right after hearing some wolves howl. And i'm telling you what...i heard those footsteps coming through the thick crap right for me and it was close enough to be measured in feet (not yards)...and thats the dang truth! But yes...i will admit i was impressively quick on that particular occassion.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:08 PM

I have felt in a few places as though something was waiting for me and its intentions were not good.

I have felt more often the good places though, or maybe it that I remember them more. A place of grace or a moment.

One heeby geeby thing that happened was not in the bush though. It was late at night, the hubby was almost asleep, I was on the computer, the dogs were snoring at my feet and the cat was sleeping with my youngest daughter. I could hear water running and thought it weirs so I got up to investigate. We used to have a toilet in the laundry room but it had been taken out years ago. The water line was still there with the valve. Somehow, the valve had been opened with nothing there to open it. Water was spraying onto the wall. Had a hard time getting to sleep after that.

How often do people get deja vu? I get it all the time and in extreme detail.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:07 AM
Banned

Default oh yeah

2 years ago I was working north of Fort St John and at the end of the day just when it was getting dusk I had to walk about a mile down a cutline. My dog and I got about half way there and I could make out 2 dark figures about another mile away. I watched them a bit and could make out that they were moving and I assumed they were moose. By now it was getting darker out and I couldn't find the riser I was looking for so I turned around and started walking back to the truck. Now, the whole time I had been walking in my dog had been running all over the cutline zipping into the bush and out and so on. We got about half way back to the truck and I got this weird feeling something was following us in the bush. My dog sucked right in to me and stayed at heel. I would swear I heard something and would stop and of course nothing. Keep going and it would happen again. I was glad when I got back to the truck.

Not sure what was going on or if it was just my mind playing tricks on me.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Phantom

I know how you feel bruceba...happend to me and the last time I had that feeling and waited long enough it turned out it was a bear, pretty sure following my and the dog, the dog never leaves my side, her choice, .......but ya man It happens..