Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 AM
50BMG

Default Need some Alberta advice

I have my wedding next weekend and our photographer is coming in from Amsterdam. We are trying to figure out some places to show him and I was wondering, since everyone here is an outdoors person, if there was a place you think might be worth taking him too.

Thanks for any input...I have a list but I know there are some places I am overlooking.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:31 AM

I think the drive between Banff and Jasper is pretty tough to beat for beauty. The Columbian Ice Fields would be interesting for him.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:29 AM

The yellows are beginning to show. I drove up through the parks, as suggested by Scott N, at the end of September last year, and it was just gorgeous. It became even more impressive just north of Jasper, towards Grande Cache, where the conifers were gone, and seas of yellow bordered the highway. It might just be a tad early for that though... not sure, haven't been North in a while.

The badlands around Drumheller are impressive too for a Dutch flatlander (I was one only five years ago).

Frans
Old 09-12-2007, 11:50 AM

Rifle season starts Monday....take him hunting!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:29 PM

To see some nice waterfalls I'd take him to Ribbon Falls or Ram Falls. Depends on if you want to hike or not.

If you just want some to see some scenery then Banff springs hotel is a good bet.

Otherwise take him out to Ya-Ha Tinda or as was already suggested to Drumheller which is never a waste of a trip.

Course you know hockey starts real soon... maybe just buy some tickets have a beer and relax!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:58 PM

Default K-country et al

Down Hwy 40 just before Seebe through some of K-country, or the Smith Dorrian Spray trail up by Spray Lakes S. of Canmore and beyond is utterly gorgeous if you want to get them off the beaten trail a little and right into the thick of the mountains. Lots of places to stop and soak it up and good chances to see some wildlife (maybe even run over something for supper) .

D
Old 09-12-2007, 04:03 PM

I've taken most of my relatives (all Dutch) and a number of Dutch friends throughout the Province. They of course all are impressed by the mountain scenery,however they can get the same just a half days drive from Holland. What really seems to amaze them is the 'moonscape' we call the Badlands around Drumheller...nothing like it in their part of the world. Anything to do with 'the prairies' is a wonder to them...all that barren land with no houses/villages.
They also liked Banff, especially the pubs..maybe I forced them a little there.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:19 PM

Something I still intend to do one day is take my father on a drive. Up the Forestry Trunk Road, starting at the 1A, and then North towards Nordegg. The emptiness will blow him away. It did it for me when I drove up to the Clearwater my first spring here.

Frans
Old 09-12-2007, 04:50 PM

i would take the nordegg trunk road or else take him to west edmonton mall even though its not outdoors it'll blow him away
Old 09-12-2007, 10:47 PM

Amsterdam??? Holy crap, my photog cost me near a grand and she lived up the bloody street! You aren't 'horticulturally' inclined by any chance?

Kidding aside, I always take the newbies out the Johnstone' Canyon in Banff. Easy walk, spectacular scenery. Also, I am hearing that GP has peelers and showgirls. Will post pics next week!

Good luck with everything, and hows that midday hunt looking. Think you'll get it in?

Tree
Old 09-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Banned

Stettlerish? location. A Sunday afternoon drive to Acadia Valley and back should get him a good fill of Canadian prairie ranchland. Take some back roads and pass some "ranch gates" with the overhead posts, brands, and horns.

The town of Black Diamond is interesting - Heritage Park? in Calgary.

Drumheller.

This time of year the colors are spectacular in the Battle River Valley east of HiWay 36.

If you want a day hike the Alderson-Carthew in Waterton is great. Eat lunch at Alderson Lake under the 2000 ft. vertical wall. Pretty easy side run to the "peak" of Carthew for a photo. It used to be that the first person through saw the grizz at Carthew Lakes.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:26 PM

How about the cypress Hills. He would be able to see a little of everything. great scenery, tons of wildlife. Also, Writing on stone is very unique. Very nice country down there.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:18 AM
50BMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I think the drive between Banff and Jasper is pretty tough to beat for beauty. The Columbian Ice Fields would be interesting for him.
Yes we had tossed that idea around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans
The badlands around Drumheller are impressive too for a Dutch flatlander (I was one only five years ago).
I see this idea come up often in this thread which is perfect. We are actually getting our wedding pics done down at toleman so we will be spending a lot of time in the badlands from here to Drum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc
Rifle season starts Monday....take him hunting!Tuc
Not here ..but a goose hunt is in the plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordur
To see some nice waterfalls I'd take him to Ribbon Falls or Ram Falls. Depends on if you want to hike or not.

If you just want some to see some scenery then Banff springs hotel is a good bet.

Otherwise take him out to Ya-Ha Tinda or as was already suggested to Drumheller which is never a waste of a trip.

Course you know hockey starts real soon... maybe just buy some tickets have a beer and relax!
Great idea. Looked for some NHL but there isn't a game on while he is here. Might look into going to the rebels game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex811
I've taken most of my relatives (all Dutch) and a number of Dutch friends throughout the Province. They of course all are impressed by the mountain scenery,however they can get the same just a half days drive from Holland. What really seems to amaze them is the 'moonscape' we call the Badlands around Drumheller...nothing like it in their part of the world.
for sure!!! When he seen the links of the royal tyrell musuem he got pretty excited about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans
Something I still intend to do one day is take my father on a drive. Up the Forestry Trunk Road, starting at the 1A, and then North towards Nordegg. The emptiness will blow him away. It did it for me when I drove up to the Clearwater my first spring here.
That is one heck of an idea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG
take him to west edmonton mall even though its not outdoors it'll blow him away
Yes I have the wife ready to do that. I explode if I go into a mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeguy
Amsterdam??? Holy crap, my photog cost me near a grand and she lived up the bloody street! You aren't 'horticulturally' inclined by any chance?

Kidding aside, I always take the newbies out the Johnstone' Canyon in Banff. Easy walk, spectacular scenery. Also, I am hearing that GP has peelers and showgirls. Will post pics next week!

Good luck with everything, and hows that midday hunt looking. Think you'll get it in
Not since '89 in high school . Trust me, the tab on this one will be WAY more than a thousand

I like Johnstone Canyon..thanks for mentioning it!! The hunt looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken
A Sunday afternoon drive to Acadia Valley and back should get him a good fill of Canadian prairie ranchland. Take some back roads and pass some "ranch gates" with the overhead posts, brands, and horns.

The town of Black Diamond is interesting - Heritage Park? in Calgary.

Drumheller.

This time of year the colors are spectacular in the Battle River Valley east of HiWay 36.

If you want a day hike the Alderson-Carthew in Waterton is great. Eat lunch at Alderson Lake under the 2000 ft. vertical wall. Pretty easy side run to the "peak" of Carthew for a photo. It used to be that the first person through saw the grizz at Carthew Lakes.
Very cool idea..thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy
How about the cypress Hills. He would be able to see a little of everything
That is a great idea..thanks!!!

Thanks for all the idea's folks!!! They were all very good and a few I had never thought about before
Old 09-13-2007, 09:53 AM

Put your photographer in the Canoe with you and your Mrs. to be, and do a float from the Buffalo Psrk to the Tolleman Bridge.
Bet the Photographer has never seen the likes of that.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Put your photographer in the Canoe with you and your Mrs. to be, and do a float from the Buffalo Psrk to the Tolleman Bridge.
Bet the Photographer has never seen the likes of that.
I wish I would have thought to put that one down.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:55 PM

Waterton this time of year is Great. The lake and mountains look great from the Prince of Wales Hotel. I know that they will allow you to tour the grounds and Waterton Village is just a short drive down the road.

http://www.watertonchamber.com/lodge.html

Whatever you do I'm sure they will not want to go back after seeing what we have here. Good Luck!
Old 09-13-2007, 08:01 PM

I also think that the Columbia Icefield is one of the most spectacular places on earth. Trouble is to really appreciate it you need to put on skis or crampons and a rope. It's not really visible from anywhere else.
Parker's ridge is pretty good. Also hikes to the toe of the Peyto or Saskatchewan Glacier are very cool (literally). The latter might get your feet wet.

My European relatives are always totally blown away by the drive from Rocky to Saskatchewan Crossing or on the 40. The space and the emptiness are not something Europeans see a lot and the landscape is nice.

Dick's suggestion is also very nice, especially this time of the year.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:39 AM
50BMG

All great idea's, thank you guys. dick, I will definitely try to arrange that